Boards: Part 1 or 2 - which matters most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mo007

Gifted Hands
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which part of the boards matter most (for specialization)?

Members don't see this ad.

Mo007 said:
Which part of the boards matter most (for specialization)?

Part 1. Most schools send out their specialty acceptances before the part 2 scores are even released. Part 2 scores would be an issue if you took a year off and did a gpr before applying for a specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
delicious said:
Part 1. Most schools send out their specialty acceptances before the part 2 scores are even released. Part 2 scores would be an issue if you took a year off and did a gpr before applying for a specialty.
So, what benefits does "Acing" in Part 2 has?

Mo007 said:
So, what benefits does "Acing" in Part 2 has?

I dunno: personal satisfaction maybe, win a bet.

So, no benefits really , unless you take a year off before applying like I already said.

You would want to do your best regardless. It's mostly a clinical test from what I understand, and I'm sure it would be easy to get lazy and maybe fail. Then: you don't graduate on time, specialty programs might not like that, girlfriend may dump you, dog would bark at you, have to take it again. That would suck.

delicious said:
I dunno: personal satisfaction maybe, win a bet.

So, no benefits really , unless you take a year off before applying like I already said.
I hear some schools being in the top 10 all the time when it come to Part 2... are you saying it means nothing? :D

AUG2UAG

Which thread did you get that info from?

Mo007 said:
I hear some schools being in the top 10 all the time when it come to Part 2... are you saying it means nothing? :D

Well, you just changed this thread into more of a philosophical issue. Yes, if a school's average on Part II is consistently high; that might indicate that they're a little better clinically I guess.

But overall, this score means nothing. And schools that brag about their part II scores are pathetic and trying to clutch onto air. :rolleyes:

In fact, I would go as far as to say that you shouldn't go to a school who's part II scores are high. Their students are obviously dorks - and you don't want them as classmates. :p :p :rolleyes:

Need to pass though for licensure.

What schools are bragging?

mkbloeser said:
Can you guys comment on what's on the boards? I'm ignorant, I know.
Part 1 has four sections. Microbiology/pathology, Dental Anatomy and Occlusion, Anatomical Sciences(Histology, Gross, Embriology), Biochemistry/Physiology. Also, I totally agree with everyone here. Part 1 matters more than g.p.a. or class rank. Just make sure you pass Part 2.