Boards Part 1 Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podguy11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has already taken apmle part 1 can recommend a specific question bank? just to name a few theres usmle step 1, kaplan, podiatryboardsprep (which is expensive i think at 200 dollars for 90 days)...any suggestions!!??

Members don't see this ad.

The NBPME practice exams. Nothing more. They're spot-on for what you can expect to see.

dont spend extra money.... listen to royal rooters...maybe some lower review, nothing more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the NBPME practice exams representative of the actual board exam? I've heard otherwise...

The real exam is slightly harder. I think people are very nervous which makes the exam seem harder.

Wow, surprised to hear that... i have heard almost unanimously that the practice exams are way way easier, and only help to understand the structure of the types of questions asked....

I agree the practice exams seemed easier however provided adequate examples of what to study.

I think it's safe to say that the examples from the 2005/2008 NBPME questions online are insanely easy than what I experienced on the exam. Most people after studying can get all if not over 95% of the practice questions right. The part 1 I took was very challenging and more medicine than podiatry as probably many people had. I wouldn't develop a false sense of security. Boards in any medical profession are difficult and Part 1 and Part 2 in our field is changing and becoming equally as challenging. So what I recommend is putting in the time and studying hard so you don't have to deal with the stress/money of taking it again.

I think it's safe to say that the examples from the 2005/2008 NBPME questions online are insanely easy than what I experienced on the exam. Most people after studying can get all if not over 95% of the practice questions right. The part 1 I took was very challenging and more medicine than podiatry as probably many people had. I wouldn't develop a false sense of security. Boards in any medical profession are difficult and Part 1 and Part 2 in our field is changing and becoming equally as challenging. So what I recommend is putting in the time and studying hard so you don't have to deal with the stress/money of taking it again.
There are also actual practice tests on the nbpme site (not the 05, 08 ones) that are meant to specifically mimic the testing experience, did you use those, if so were htey helpful?

The part 1 I took was very challenging and more medicine than podiatry as probably many people had.

Your part I didn't have any "podiatry." If you mean LEA, then of course it had less, did you not read the content outline provided?

The APMLE may be poorly written but the LEA questions were very easy and accounted for 25% of the scored exam. Nail LEA, do average on the rest of the exam, and you pass.

Reactions: 1 user