Boards preparations

Started by l24kers
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

l24kers

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am seeking advice and recommendations on how to prepare for boards and ace them! When I was studying for the OAT, I found Chad's videos and other sites to be helpful. For the boards I only know of KMK. Is it worth the money? Are there any other sites like Kaplan that offer boards materials?
 
100% use KMK and go to their lectures.

May sound simple but hit your weaknesses hard. I'm not a great standardized test taker and my weak area was Optics. I probably spent too much time on optics and ended up scoring in the 90% percentile on that subject.
 
Personally, KMK signature is worth the money along with Optoprep. Don’t neglect class notes as well.

KMK will give you a great overall picture (hey, you need to be well rounded in ALL subjects because a question may incorporate Anatomy and Disease in a question). Optoprep will give you a sense of how Board question is asked. Class notes will refine what needs clarification.
 
I used the KMK books and course, and some of my class notes. I started studying 3 months before the test, and read through most of the material twice. Obviously you want to spend more time on big topics like Anatomy, Ocular disease etc. I'm not a good test taker overall but I did fairly well on boards by simply putting in the time. One of the things I liked about studying for boards part 1 was that I felt like I was going over material I really wanted to internalize and know like the back of my hand. I actually enjoyed those 3 months and it was probably the most beneficial study I ever did in Optometry school.

Hated the test though... I felt like it was designed to produce a bell curve instead of actually testing the things an Optometrist should know.