Boards preparations

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l24kers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeking advice and recommendations on how to prepare for boards and ace them! When I was studying for the OAT, I found Chad's videos and other sites to be helpful. For the boards I only know of KMK. Is it worth the money? Are there any other sites like Kaplan that offer boards materials?

Members don't see this ad.

100% use KMK and go to their lectures.

May sound simple but hit your weaknesses hard. I'm not a great standardized test taker and my weak area was Optics. I probably spent too much time on optics and ended up scoring in the 90% percentile on that subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, KMK signature is worth the money along with Optoprep. Don’t neglect class notes as well.

KMK will give you a great overall picture (hey, you need to be well rounded in ALL subjects because a question may incorporate Anatomy and Disease in a question). Optoprep will give you a sense of how Board question is asked. Class notes will refine what needs clarification.

I used the KMK books and course, and some of my class notes. I started studying 3 months before the test, and read through most of the material twice. Obviously you want to spend more time on big topics like Anatomy, Ocular disease etc. I'm not a good test taker overall but I did fairly well on boards by simply putting in the time. One of the things I liked about studying for boards part 1 was that I felt like I was going over material I really wanted to internalize and know like the back of my hand. I actually enjoyed those 3 months and it was probably the most beneficial study I ever did in Optometry school.

Hated the test though... I felt like it was designed to produce a bell curve instead of actually testing the things an Optometrist should know.