SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Boards

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Patholo-gyst, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Patholo-gyst

Patholo-gyst Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Nobody in my program who registered for the Boards has heard anything about them--nothing about the dates, whether or not our applications were accepted, or anything else. They did cash all of our checks, so we know the applications got there.

Anybody else have this problem?

Also, there is no information on the ABPath web site about how long it takes to take the exam itself--is this a 2 or 3 day thing? We can't find this information anywhere.

Of course, we'd all love to get our plane tickets before they are ten million dollars . . .

Ideas?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Brougham

Brougham Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2002
    New York City
    The ABP website states they mailed the date assignments on March 20th. I still haven't gotten my letter and neither have any of my fellow residents. The website also says that if you don't get your letter by March 30th you should call them to find out what's up. Check it out here....

http://www.abpath.org/default.aspx

It's a two day exam (if your AP/CP). AP the first day and CP the next day.

4. l&usibari

l&usibari Guest

Mar 20, 2005
    A resident in my program got it. June 22nd. Don't quote me on that though.

5. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian 7+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2001
    I got mine today. Its a two day exam. I wouldn't buy plane tickets until you have yours in hand...

6. deschutes

deschutes Thing Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2004
    On location
    Betsy Bennett, Executive Vice-Prez of ABP, said today that for the 50 autopsies that we all need, the ABP requires us to specify the number of limited/shared/forensic autopsies merely to collect data across the country.

I don't remember what was last posted about this subject, but basically there are no limits on our numbers for those particular types of autopsies. Of course, for practical relevancy, I'm certainly not suggesting everyone go out and get themselves 50 liver-only autopsies.

7. Makes sense...I remember meeting a 4th yr resident from another program when I was at the ME's office. There aren't many autopsies to begin with at his hospital and I think he said he had somewhere around 15. Suffice it to say, he spent 1 month there and I'm sure he got over 50 autopsies total! :laugh:

8. CameronFrye

CameronFrye Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2005
    I think some of the confusion occurs b/c I believe that the ACGME says path residents should get 40 primary cases. That number gets mixed in with the ABP requirement for 50 and all sorts of myths get propagated.

9. sohsie

sohsie Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2004
    I got my "There is no such thing as board eligibility :laugh: " "BOARD QUALIFICATON" letter last week. Got my dates the next day. Bought my plane ticket the same day.

I had gotten a letter a few weeks earlier saying that my application was complete.

Someone else in my program hadnt heard anything either. Turns out it was because her app didnt arrive until ~Jan 10th, and they hadnt gotten to those apps yet.

10. djmd

Oct 2, 2001
    I know the letter doesn't say it, but the test is always at the Quorum, correct?

11. yaah

yaah Boring Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

According to Dr Bennett, almost all questions related to the boards can be found at www.abpath.org

12. djmd

Oct 2, 2001
    Really, well maybe Dr. Bennett can show me where it says any of the following:
    What hotel to stay at?
    What the street address of the testing site is? (the website does helpfully suggest "saying at the hotel adjacent to the testing center"

I know where ABP is, but is the testing center there? I the test is somewhere right around where ABP is, but was curious as the actual location...

I guess I'm just supposed to wait for more information?

13. sohsie

sohsie Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2004
    The second to last letter I got said that Ill get a reservation card to the hotel about 6 weeks before the exam day.

14. Patholo-gyst

Patholo-gyst Junior Member 7+ Year Member

I wish Dr. Bennett would also show us where on the page we can find out what time the test starts and ends each day. Should I assume I'll be out of there by 5pm on day 2?

They keep referring us to the information booklet web page, but there are serious holes in this page--for example, how many days does the exam last? Where exactly does this test take place (besides Tampa)?

My attendings say that they haven't even gotten the reference cards for the people in my program. So they aren't even evaluating our applications yet.

But they say 'don't call us' on the web page.

It wouldn't be so frustrating if we hadn't paid $2,000.00 for this privilege.

15. yaah

yaah Boring Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Well, if something isn't on the webpage, then call them. If they get enough calls maybe they'll put it there.

16. djmd

Oct 2, 2001
    Ha!

These are the people who last year said "we had a lot more applications for AP/CP boards than we expected"

meaning.. they didn't know that the 4 and 5th year classes were ending together... :rolleyes: