Boards!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nova2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone nervous about boards this March?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a little strange, but I'm actually somewhat excited for boards. I feel like the optometry cirriculum/way of thinking is very unique and interesting. There's something about being able to look back at how much I've grown in knowlege since I started. It'll be fun reading my old notes again, as I misspell things and have misconceptions.

I remember complaining about how prisms were described as base down, but those move the image up—why didn't they just describe it based on the apex!

Why's he bringing up the sag formula again? Where'd that come from? When am I ever going to use that!?

Why would they specifiy the axis of astigmatism opposite of the power meridian? Keratometry values are written at the meridian they're in—what gives?

I could go on and on. I look forward to being on the other side of boards after taking everything I've learned at putting it back together again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone nervous about boards this March?

Yep!!! What sort of schedule do you guys at other schools have? At Pacific, we are off starting the Thursday, Friday, and Monday before boards off.

When is (did) everyone going to start studying? What study materials is everyone using?

SCCO is giving us about a month off, but we still have clinic. I heard that we have a pretty long time off period compared to other schools.

SCCO is giving us about a month off, but we still have clinic. I heard that we have a pretty long time off period compared to other schools.
Haha, you're right about that. OSU graciously moved our finals up a week so that we won't have to take them at the same time as boards. I will say that the faculty is very interested in organizing review sessions for us/online resources.

A month? Whoa!!! Where are you making up that time? Beginning of summer? Short Christmas break?

What used to happen was that half of the summer between 2nd and 3rd years was off, but now we have a full summer of clinic and classes at that time.

I am not excited.
That is all.

Welllllllllll, that isn't all... I'm excited for it to be over because I've got my reservation for the Vision Care Institute right after boards are done! Wooo!

It's a little strange, but I'm actually somewhat excited for boards. I feel like the optometry cirriculum/way of thinking is very unique and interesting. There's something about being able to look back at how much I've grown in knowlege since I started. It'll be fun reading my old notes again, as I misspell things and have misconceptions.

I remember complaining about how prisms were described as base down, but those move the image up—why didn't they just describe it based on the apex!

Why's he bringing up the sag formula again? Where'd that come from? When am I ever going to use that!?

Why would they specifiy the axis of astigmatism opposite of the power meridian? Keratometry values are written at the meridian they're in—what gives?

I could go on and on. I look forward to being on the other side of boards after taking everything I've learned at putting it back together again.

honestly i dont understand how schools expect you to memorize such details in large amounts. Having to take 10 courses w.labs is and needing 80% to graduate...WTF? How does one do that? really.

First, you want to know where the thickest part of the lens is going to be. This aids in frame selection. Second, light is bent towards the base towards the base. All lenses with refracting power can be considered as an infinite number of tiny prisms. As such, specifying where the base is aids in determining where the image is going to be focused. Where a human eye appears to perceive that image as coming from is a relatively uncommon concern for the majority of people who uses prisms for other optical or engineering applications. For all intents and purposes, it's a physics convention, not an optometric one.

You may not pull out or use the exact forumla, but having an indept understanding of what sagital depth is and what factors can change as you adjust sagital depth is critical to contact lens fittings, particularly those on diseased corneas.

Historically, this aided in determining where an incision was going to be made when performing corneal surgeries.

Haha, ok, thanks for the insight there. I was just giving some examples of previous misconceptions...I've mostly wrapped my head around all of that stuff by now, but you did add some cool historical tidbits!