Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nilf

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out how you did on your boards (AP/CP and subspecialty) compared with your peers? And how you did on various topic, or in different sections?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. Only if you fail, and that may no longer be true either, I haven't talked to someone who has failed recently.

Why would you want to know this anyway? So you could put it on your CV? Ha! If anyone put that on their CV I would laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to know this anyway? So you could put it on your CV? Ha! If anyone put that on their CV I would laugh.

Because I've paid $3800 for combined 20 hours of examinations, and spent countless days preparing for it, and I want my money worth.

You rent the opportunity to possibly call yourself board certified for a few years. There may be a few other things ABPath does, but let's face it, that's the one people care about.

Still, I don't know a way to get the information you're asking for, if you pass. If I got it I surely must've stopped reading at PASS. While I agree it could be useful personal information, as soon as that information is made available it can become another factor in perception of you as a pathologist, in the job hunt, and in your future career. There's a percentage of people that would help, but also a percentage that would hurt. We're already a very numbers-centered profession, born from the days of MCATs. Since the boards are pass/fail, I suppose the theory is...you pass, so it's nobody's business. We risk watering down the essence of "board certification" otherwise. You fail, well, you can use all the information you can get to try to pass next time, so they give you the additional info.

Is there a way to find out how you did on your boards (AP/CP and subspecialty) compared with your peers? And how you did on various topic, or in different sections?

Thanks

Huh.

You used to have a score report that told you what %tile you were in.

I remember hitting top 10-20(?)% for both CP and AP.

Definitely didnt always used to be just straight pass-fail.