Bombay Hindi slang

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.. There's a minor problem
Arre yaar, "Waanda" ho gaya

2.. There's a big problem
Arre yaar, "Zol" ho gaya

3.. There's a huge problem..(unsolvable)
Arre yaar,"Raada" ho gaya

4.. You'll be surprised .
Ekdam "Hill" jayega tu

5.. I am going out of this place
Chal apun "Kaltii" marta hai

6.. Don't make a fool of others
Dekh , tu "Shendi" mat laga sabko

7.. Just get out of here, you oversmart fool!!
Chal e Shaaane,"Hawa" aan de

8.. I am not a stupid out here
Apun kya "ALIBAUG" se nahi aaya

9.. There's some misunderstanding
Arre kuch "Galat Faimili" ho gayi

10.. Do u drink daily?
Tu kya roz "FULL TO" hota hai?

11.. See, You are afraid..
Dekh , teri to "FAT" gayi

12.. Shall I just bash u?
E Du kya "Kharcha Pani" ?

13.. Just take him into a secret place
Use jara "Khopche" me leke ja

14.. O .. What a beautiful lady !!
Kya "Zakaas Item" hai yaar!!

16.. Don't just bluff..OK?
E Jyaada "RAAG" mat de..

17.. Ya..she is staring at u.. buddy!!!
Kya sahi "LINE" deti hai "Bhiduu"!!

18.. Don't take much tension..
Jyaada "LOAD" nahi leneka kya??

19.. Your clothes are very awkward!!
Kya "ZAGMAG / DHINKCHAAK" pehna tune?

20.. I don't care about it much..!!
Abe yaar , "Hata Saawan Ki Ghata"

21.. Please don't overbore me..
Jyaada "PAKAA" mat be tu

22.. All this must be done without anyone's notice
Sab kaam "SUUMDI" me hona chahiye kya?

PS: I did not type thse it would have taken for ever for me to type..but I must admit that we actually used some of these slang hindi language in bombay...oh.h...but its difficult for some of you to figure out the difference if you dont know hindi at all...and it sounds really wierd to delhietes lol

Members don't see this ad.

priyanka said:

Arre yaar, "Zol" ho gaya

Ekdam "Hill" jayega tu

10.. Do u drink daily?

E Jyaada "RAAG" mat de..

Jyaada "PAKAA" mat be tu

PS: I did not type thse it would have taken for ever for me to type..but I must admit that we actually used some of these slang hindi language in bombay...oh.h...but its difficult for some of you to figure out the difference if you dont know hindi at all...and it sounds really wierd to delhietes lol

For sure. Crazy...

It's interesting how Indian culture is evolving and as it seems, burgeoning at the seams.

lol they actually sound like lines from hindi movies... being a "delhite" it doesn't sound too wierd because I have gotten used to hearing these in movies ...good ole bollywood

Members don't see this ad :)
umm H2O and dr.malki,

actually mumbai is more like a gangsta place, therefore the slang.. its not more about culture, its more about i think since mumbai has a very cosmopolitan crowd (thats the reason i know a variety of indian languages)...and then it also sounds cool sometimes lol ... for eg ...students would incorporate it in their conversations by saying.. " meine exam mein locha kar diya" here locha only means a mistake lol :eek:

anyway! ..

Very interesting thread.

Reminds me of Hindi-Gangsta movies.

I guess it is important for us indians to have our own slang and use it, instead of borrowing words from other languages (a thing which we do very well).

And by the way:
Cheers to all you indians out there, this is my first thread in this area.

/Singh

Singh said:
Very interesting thread.

I guess it is important for us indians to have our own slang and use it, instead of borrowing words from other languages (a thing which we do very well).

And by the way:

/Singh

welcome ! :thumbup: :D

Singh said:
Very interesting thread.

And by the way:

/Singh

Jee. Aayiae. Err... welcome...

:laugh:

priyanka said:

Arre yaar, "Zol" ho gaya

Ekdam "Hill" jayega tu

10.. Do u drink daily?

E Jyaada "RAAG" mat de..

Jyaada "PAKAA" mat be tu

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

As a bombayite, I must say this is would have been a part of my daily hindi repertoire :cool: . However, since I attended a Delhi board school during my Indian education phase, my hindi teachers made sure (by occasionally aawaaj lagaofying under the kanpatti :D ) that my communication skills improved. :laugh:
Also, bombayite slang also tends to be a lot more rewarding if you understand marathi :)

AMMD said:
As a bombayite, I must say this is would have been a part of my daily hindi repertoire :cool: . However, since I attended a Delhi board school during my Indian education phase, my hindi teachers made sure (by occasionally aawaaj lagaofying under the kanpatti :D ) that my communication skills improved. :laugh:
Also, bombayite slang also tends to be a lot more rewarding if you understand marathi :)

i understand and can speak- hindi,punjabi, marathi, and gujurathi

priyanka said:
i understand and can speak- hindi,punjabi, marathi, and gujurathi

wow...pentalingual (including English). Can you write all the languages too? Did u learn any foreign language here?

P.S: I think you spelled Gujarati wrong.

IllinoisStudent said:
wow...pentalingual (including English). Can you write all the languages too? Did u learn any foreign language here?

P.S: I think you spelled Gujarati wrong.

honestlly,
its not a big deal for people living in bombay to know all these languages. coz.. half side of my family is a punjabi so i can speak it but not write it, marathi and hindi we read and write since grade 4 of our school...and gujurati, once you know marathi and hindi, guju is very easy especially after living with so many gujus arnd (many gujus in bombay..obviously maharastrians too)
i love all these languages...
foreign language, I took spanish , but my grammar is crappy...so mostly only .. "como estas senora"

Members don't see this ad :)
priyanka said:
hey desikudi, been a while since i saw you :)
yup.. ..i have 5 finals in a row in my finals week :eek: ...so completing my work in my research lab so that i can take my week off before the finals..
BTW How ru doing?? :)

desikudi said:
yup.. ..i have 5 finals in a row in my finals week :eek: ...so completing my work in my research lab so that i can take my week off before the finals..
BTW How ru doing?? :)

ahhh ic, good luck on ur finals! I'm doing fine...but it seems like yesterday i visited SDN like 4 times :eek: at night i was like WOW don tell me i'm getting addicted, thats the last thing i want hehe!
neway am gonna take time off SDN in a couple of days to make sure it hasn't become a part of my RBC's during these days :wow:

priyanka said:
ahhh ic, good luck on ur finals! I'm doing fine...but it seems like yesterday i visited SDN like 4 times :eek: at night i was like WOW don tell me i'm getting addicted, thats the last thing i want hehe!
neway am gonna take time off SDN in a couple of days to make sure it hasn't become a part of my RBC's during these days :wow:
Thanx.. and good to to u too on your finals :thumbup:
SDN is really addictive.I used to be addictive last yr but then for 1 semster i got over it,, and now again i have become super addictive to it.I visit it whenever i even get 30 mints break......
ohh i really ,really need some help..... :p

desikudi said:
Thanx.. and good to to u too on your finals :thumbup:
:p
I meant good luck :thumbup:

desikudi said:
I meant good luck :thumbup:
priyanka, which school did you go to? I attended Bombay Scottish for a few years when I lived in Mumbai.

AMMD said:
priyanka, which school did you go to? I attended Bombay Scottish for a few years when I lived in Mumbai.

I was in Andheri, so I went to St. Louis

Btw, bombay scottish is a nice school...reputed for "bollywood celebrities" graduating from bombay scottish..

AMMD said:

My friend attended Bombay Scottish not a bollywood celebrity though :laugh:

Yea scottish was a nice school. There were a lot of celebrity kids when I attended school there. Naina Bachhan(sp) was in my sisters class (2 years older than me). Besides I lived right across the street on the water so it was a hop skip and jump for me. A lot of my friends from Andheri attended Jamnabai which is also supposed to be a good school. When is the last time any of you guys went back to hang out? My entire family is going to mumbai to attends a wedding, I wont be able to go because of clinic :(

AMMD said:
under the kanpati :laugh: :laugh: Bas kya?

I never thought I would say this, but one of my greatest regrets in my 23 years is not learning Hindi.

When I was young, my parents would speak, and my brother and I would make them speak English :(

Buckeye(OH) said:
I never thought I would say this, but one of my greatest regrets in my 23 years is not learning Hindi.

When I was young, my parents would speak, and my brother and I would make them speak English :(

it's all good dude.
Hindi is like any other language. as long as you understand it that's fine.
There are lots of people in India who cannot speak Hindi

Buckeye(OH) said:

For Buckeye and types
Oh!!! poor you....its people like u who r spoiling our culture and traditions...its people like u who were never ment to be born in India.(plz dont mind it but the truth is the truth0its ppl like u who cannot be forgiven esp coz u got a chance to learn and still gave it up. no hard feelingsplz

parasiteatwork said:
For Buckeye and types
Oh!!! poor you....its people like u who r spoiling our culture and traditions...its people like u who were never ment to be born in India.(plz dont mind it but the truth is the truth0its ppl like u who cannot be forgiven esp coz u got a chance to learn and still gave it up. no hard feelingsplz

this is really uncalled for :thumbdown: I really hope you are joking. just because someone doesn't know the language doesn't mean they don't respect our culture or traditions.

DoctorMalki said:
this is really uncalled for :thumbdown: I really hope you are joking. just because someone doesn't know the language doesn't mean they don't respect our culture or traditions.

well hindi is a part of our culture and if someone being an indian doesnt know it...esp if they did geta chance to know it then definetely they have no respect for our country.

parasiteatwork said:
well hindi is a part of our culture and if someone being an indian doesnt know it...esp if they did geta chance to know it then definetely they have no respect for our country.

i'm an ABCD and i speak, read, and write hindi. But what do say to all the south indians who refuse to speak hindi and will speak english over hindi any day. especially the tamils in service positions in delhi. :mad: :mad: :mad: don't go hating on us who live outside of india, we're proud of being of indian descent.

shivalrous said:
i'm an ABCD and i speak, read, and write hindi. But what do say to all the south indians who refuse to speak hindi and will speak english over hindi any day. especially the tamils in service positions in delhi. :mad: :mad: :mad: don't go hating on us who live outside of india, we're proud of being of indian descent.

Chill nice avatar by the way.
The Tamils have a point
People up north just speak hindi while the rest of the nation including me (I am a Gujju) have to learn to speak an additional language.

I love Hindi language though, which is a different story.

shivalrous said:

First of all I dont hate you...and my statements had nothing to do with people outside India ...it included everyone including people inside India and especially people in India 'coz if we dont speak our language no one else ever will.By the way, how many italians do u know who dont speak italian or americans who dont speak english or any other countrymen who dont speak their own language(expect our paki counterparts ofcourse). So guys...just dont forget that hindi is your own language and LEARN it

Premedtomed said:
Chill nice avatar by the way.
The Tamils have a point
People up north just speak hindi while the rest of the nation including me (I am a Gujju) have to learn to speak an additional language.

I love Hindi language though, which is a different story.

I'm half Gujarati and I love the Hindi language too, but I don't believe the Tamils have a point when they refuse to speak Hindi especially when dealing with Indians from different areas...Punjabi speakers, Bengali speakers, Marathi speakers, and Telegu speakers....all will speak Hindi when not in the company of their own fellow speakers...but no, Tamils will talk to you only in English. I've known too many in Delhi that get screwed over because of their superiority complex stemming from snubbing Hindi in favor of English.

shivalrous said:
I'm half Gujarati and I love the Hindi language too, but I don't believe the Tamils have a point when they refuse to speak Hindi especially when dealing with Indians from different areas...Punjabi speakers, Bengali speakers, Marathi speakers, and Telegu speakers....all will speak Hindi when not in the company of their own fellow speakers...but no, Tamils will talk to you only in English. I've known too many in Delhi that get screwed over because of their superiority complex stemming from snubbing Hindi in favor of English.

i agree with you completely....nice observation. :)

parasiteatwork said:
i agree with you completely....nice observation. :)

you guys are full of it. First of all parasite, guess Eng ain't your language 'cuz 4 sho you can't spell shyt. :D

If you haven't lived in India, I don't think you have any standing in this issue. Whats the big deal in tamils not knowing hindi? If they do not know hindi, they have no respect for their country? Ohhhh puhlezzzzz...that is sooo stupid. India has around 14 official languages and it depends on wht part of the country you are from. Ppl from south are usually taught Tamil/Malayalam from day 1 and thats how it goes. I know punjabis that refuse to speak hindi and just speak punjabi. Thats what makes Indias culture so diverse and rich.

If you haven't lived in India, I don't think you have any standing in this issue. Whats the big deal in tamils not knowing hindi? If they do not know hindi, they have no respect for their country? Ohhhh puhlezzzzz...that is sooo stupid. India has around 14 official languages and it depends on wht part of the country you are from. Ppl from south are usually taught Tamil/Malayalam from day 1 and thats how it goes. Thats what makes Indias culture so diverse and rich.[/QUOTE]

well said mate!

"I know punjabis that refuse to speak hindi and just speak punjabi."

there are couple of other quotes out there generalizing to "tamils" or "south indians" .... come on you guys generalizing onto a whole group coz of one or two examples you might have heard or seen; that doesnt make for a good conclusion.

but most importantly, its not for us to decide who is "worthy" or "deserves" to be "born in india" as someone said above? are u kiddin???? Its that arrogance from certain people that is very annoying. anyways being new here, i think this a cool forum! Hey buckeye! better late than never ay? :thumbup:

I dont know how people can judge other people based on what language they speak! come on language is just a means of communication! If people speaking tamil cant communicate with the ones that speak hindi, they might get limited to speaking to just the tamils..same applies for people who can speak hindi but not tamil... No big deal, every state in india is unique and we should be proud of our diversity, although if people are just open minded and learn more languages, would help them have a larger network of knowledge and friends, if not nthing lost mates..

DrPreet said:
If you haven't lived in India, I don't think you have any standing in this issue. Whats the big deal in tamils not knowing hindi? If they do not know hindi, they have no respect for their country? Ohhhh puhlezzzzz...that is sooo stupid. India has around 14 official languages and it depends on wht part of the country you are from. Ppl from south are usually taught Tamil/Malayalam from day 1 and thats how it goes. I know punjabis that refuse to speak hindi and just speak punjabi. Thats what makes Indias culture so diverse and rich.

GOT A SPECIAL SOUTHIE FRIEND OR WHAT?????? :p :p

ammd kuthe gelas? ho ho tu ani tujhi firang gfs, arth mahnje indian forum madhoon gayab? me kay sangtiye te aik ani desi muli shich lagna kar :p :laugh: :smuggrin:

priyanka said:
ammd kuthe gelas? ho ho tu ani tujhi firang gfs, arth mahnje indian forum madhoon gayab? me kay sangtiye te aik ani desi muli shich lagna kar :p :laugh: :smuggrin:

DAYMN!!!!! thats the first time in 5 years i have heard someone speak in marathi, am not maharashtrian but you are rite on; having lived in mumbai, you gotta know it! props priyanka! :thumbup:

blingblah said:
DAYMN!!!!! thats the first time in 5 years i have heard someone speak in marathi, am not maharashtrian but you are rite on; having lived in mumbai, you gotta know it! props priyanka! :thumbup:

Thanks :D i actually miss speaking marathi, now that I am not in bombay.All we speak in here is punjabi and hindi :( its not bad but i miss the cosmopolitancy ya know?

priyanka said:

Sorry yaar, shala hoti na, mhanoon me gayab.....firangi gf's pan hotiya pan that is secondary :D . Anywayz im bak at your command :)

priyanka said:
Thanks :D i actually miss speaking marathi, now that I am not in bombay.All we speak in here is punjabi and hindi :( its not bad but i miss the cosmopolitancy ya know?
are u kiddin???? DAYMN!!! I wish I was punjabi... i just saw the movie "bend it like beckam" today... man the punjabi family atmosphere is familial.... and the language is beautiful... very endearing!!!!! I am jealous!!!!! BTW: the soundtrack on bend it like beckam... is kickasss!!!!!!!

blingblah said:
are u kiddin???? DAYMN!!! I wish I was punjabi... i just saw the movie "bend it like beckam" today... man the punjabi family atmosphere is familial.... and the language is beautiful... very endearing!!!!! I am jealous!!!!! BTW: the soundtrack on bend it like beckam... is kickasss!!!!!!!

im punjabi! yay! i love being punjabi! i love the language, the bhangra, and the food! :thumbup:

1hotaartichoke said:
im punjabi! yay! i love being punjabi! i love the language, the bhangra, and the food! :thumbup:

what about THE SARDAR JOKES......ha ha ha :D :D :D

parasiteatwork said:

i like the way punjabis pronounce the n in words like sajna(that song is AWESOME! from chameli.)
i'm not sure what punjabi food is, so i might have had it and not known it.

what the heck is a sardar?

CaptainJack02 said:
i like the way punjabis pronounce the n in words like sajna(that song is AWESOME! from chameli.)
i'm not sure what punjabi food is, so i might have had it and not known it.

what the heck is a sardar?
comeon...u would know a sardar if u see one.....they r comparable to blonds and polish people.Got the idea!!! Ofcourse they r the center of every joke we make and in case u dont know them...they r the ones who wear turban like caps on their (empty)heads and if u still dont get it then u never will!!!!

parasiteatwork said:
comeon...u would know a sardar if u see one.....they r comparable to blonds and polish people.Got the idea!!! Ofcourse they r the center of every joke we make and in case u dont know them...they r the ones who wear turban like caps on their (empty)heads and if u still dont get it then u never will!!!!

easy, tiger.
thanks for clearing that up.

blingblah said:
\

I dont know how being a punjabi is better than belonging to any other regional language. Yes, there are certain things that are unique to every culture. I love punjabi food, at the same time I love other regional foods too. If punjabi weddings are done in a certain manner, other weddings have their own substantiality...! I really think you are fine being what you are. If you appreciate something else, just adopt it. For example, I love the sweetness of bengali. I d love to learn it..and their culture. I think they have a very nice cultural singing background or maybe its just that I love saurav ganguly? lol, FYI hes a cricketer..

AMMD said:
Sorry yaar, shala hoti na, mhanoon me gayab.....firangi gf's pan hotiya pan that is secondary :D . Anywayz im bak at your command :)

welcome back dude! .. although i think i m gonna take off for sometime..school's gonna get insane next week and..I am s o happy that finally study groups are gonna gear up!..gluck cooking :laugh:

parasiteatwork said:

im hindu punjabi...so i take no offense to those! :D

priyanka said:
I love saurav ganguly? lol, FYI hes a cricketer..

hell yeah, bengali pride. sourav ganguly is my boy. captain,the prince of calcutta, dada, he's my neighbor in india.