Bombed Physics Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masrat858

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've studied for hours. Exam felt like the easiest thing in the world, as I've recognized each and every single one of the questions. Unfortunately, I just couldn't recall the necessary formulae. We have three exams in the class in total (excluding final) and the lowest is dropped, so I still have an opportunity to turn things around. I now know what I must do--try using my memory more while studying to register the formulae in my head, rather than relying on notes all the time--but still feeling a little discouraged...

Any advice/words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to memorize formulas for physics? That's pretty dumb although the MCAT doesn't have any formula sheets so maybe it'll get you ready for it. Flash cards are the best way to memorize short factual information. If you are good with math, I would memorize the core formulas and derive whatever formula you need from that. If not, just make flash cards for all of them. IIRC, physics 1 should have less than20 formulas for the entire course. Should be doable with flash cards.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Our in-class exams have very limited info in the formula sheet, it seems like, and we're required to know all the rest. I do understand the relationships that construct them, and when and how to apply what.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've studied for hours. Exam felt like the easiest thing in the world, as I've recognized each and every single one of the questions. Unfortunately, I just couldn't recall the necessary formulae. We have three exams in the class in total (excluding final) and the lowest is dropped, so I still have an opportunity to turn things around. I now know what I must do--try using my memory more while studying to register the formulae in my head, rather than relying on notes all the time--but still feeling a little discouraged...

Uh you don't memorize formulas to do well in physics. You understand the derivation behind these formulas and use physical principles to solve problems. Doing well in physics requires a lot of practice. And if you are stuck, consider using office hours and ask your professors for help. That's what I did in difficult physics courses and it helped me understand the material very solidly and do well on exams.

Reactions: 1 users
This one is for OP: One thing that'll help is to make sure the units add up. For example, acceleration is m(distance)/t^2. So if you need to find velocity (m/s), ask yourself what do you need to convert (m/s^2) into (m/s)? Just remember about integration and derivatives. For example, if you convert velocity to acceleration, you have to divide it by 2 as well as square the time. That's pretty basic stuff.

Believe it or not, you already know how to do this from jr high pre-algebra and algebra, you just don't know how to recall the concepts. There's a method called the Socratic Method. It's named after a Greek teacher who NEVER lectured in his class. Instead, he asked his students questions that led them to the answer.

You have to memorize formulas for physics? That's pretty dumb although the MCAT doesn't have any formula sheets so maybe it'll get you ready for it. Flash cards are the best way to memorize short factual information. If you are good with math, I would memorize the core formulas and derive whatever formula you need from that. If not, just make flash cards for all of them. IIRC, physics 1 should have less than20 formulas for the entire course. Should be doable with flash cards.

Good luck!

You are allowed scratch papers. Write down all the formula on a piece of paper BEFORE the MCAT and make sure you can recall them. Then, once it starts, get a piece of scratch paper and write down all the formulas.

Physics is the worst dude. But it is conquerable if you just keep grinding. Don't be discouraged; this test will be dropped and you'll get the next top if you keep working.

Reactions: 1 user
For me, practice is the most helpful component of studying for physics. Get a portable white board and do all the practice problems you can get your hands on until your confident in your ability to answer the questions. Write the formulas out each time a relevant question comes out. You could also try to use Anki for the formulas.

Physics, like Organic Chemistry, is an art form and should not be polluted by irreverent memorization.

Same applies to Biological concepts like cellular respiration

True natural beauty.

Last edited:
For some encouragement I brought up a C/C+ to a respectable A- over the course of Physics 2. It can be done OP

Reactions: 1 user
I've always wondered why physics is a pre-requisite for medical school being that it has absolutely no application whatsoever to anything medically related................but anyway what are you worried about OP? They drop your lowest exam, so if you change you studying approaches it will be like that first exam never happened.

I've always wondered why physics is a pre-requisite for medical school being that it has absolutely no application whatsoever to anything medically related................but anyway what are you worried about OP? They drop your lowest exam, so if you change you studying approaches it will be like that first exam never happened.

I think OP is asking for advice on the 'change your study habits ' part.

Just derive all equations from least-action principles within a 4-dimensional differential manifold.

My class was setup almost exactly the same way. Bombed my first physics test and ended up with a B+ or A- or something. That system will make it easy to redeem yourself.

On more of an advice note: memorize and/or understand the different labels. For example a Joule is one N*m or (kg*m^2)/s^2, which can be further expanded onto watts, coulombs, and volts (Physics II stuff I believe). Or you could always use rote memorization on the formulas. This method will help you in the long run, though.

The only thing I could think of would be CV system and pressure formulas.

The only thing I could think of would be CV system and pressure formulas.

In physiology, they only incorporated formulas occasionally to help illustrate concepts. But you could easily understand them without any knowledge or understanding of physics. Just basic algebra would do fine.

I hope you don't plan on going into rads, as physics is part of the RISE that is integrated into the core and certifying exams.

It's also part of physiology, though not as broadly as in university physics courses.

Don't waste your time memorizing stuff. All that will do is make sure you know how to apply a formula to a specific problem. If you get any problems that don't look exactly like the practice ones, you'll get stumped. Learn the concepts really well and how to derive the various mathematical relationships from a few core equations (e.g., for kinematics you can derive all the motion equations from x=|v|t and a=dv/dt; for dynamics, if you know Newton's laws and how to draw a FBD, you should be able to figure out what any problem is looking for).

You can watch lectures on Physics on the Khan Academy website or YouTube.

Study with the book "Physics as a Second Language."

Seek the help of a tutor, if the aforementioned does not help. Just keep doing problems.

Practice practice practice.

Try flash cards for memorizing formulae if you have to, but really if you're practicing effectively you won't need to memorize. Develop a systematic approach to answering questions, and don't brush off your mistakes. If you mess it up practicing, you'll mess it up on the exam.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app