1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Book question for PCOM students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by RawkusMD, Jun 20, 2008.

1. RawkusMD

RawkusMD gloomy
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    My PI just got me Rang and Dale's Pharmacology as a going away present. Is this the recommended text at PCOM or does anyone have experience with this book? Thanks a lot!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WestcoastMedicine

WestcoastMedicine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    When I had pharm they recommended Katzung "Basic & Clinical Pharmacology" from the Lange Series. I would think anything that is current and in depth would suffice. They didn't give us any specific readings out of the book from what I remember....I could be wrong on that though. Maybe a currenty first or second year could comment on that. Good Luck with your first year!

4. phrygian

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Katzung's is still the recommended text, and they did assign readings, but it seemed like most people did not read the actual text and stuck to the material covered in lecture. The online library also has plenty of textbooks (including Katzung's) for use so you can save yourself some $$ on books.

5. JonnyG

JonnyG IN the hospitals....
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PCOMs online library is really good. I wish i had bothered to listen to those library orientations earlier then I did. It has come in handy alot of rotations. PCOMs library has decided to invest heavily in the online world which really is a benefit.

6. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    On the same note, I received a Taber's Medical Dictionary from my PI as a going away present, vs the Steadman's that everyone else talks about. Does it matter?

7. BCon902

BCon902 PCOM c/o 2011
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Honestly, you'll get a stedman's for free when you join AMA, and I say when because I'm the president, ha, but you'll I used mine like once or twice. The internet is far more sufficient but it does look good on the book shelves.

8. DannMann99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Am I missing something? What is a PI?

9. TexasTriathlete

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    [​IMG]

10. fireflygirl

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Principal Investigator -the doc that I work for at the hospital and that most students work for when they are working in a lab or research facility.

11. jecrunner

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anybody gotten or heard of a list of required books for first years? I was thinking we would have heard something by now.....

12. Animus

Animus I won't deny it...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is not really a "required" list. You will hear of it during orientation when awesome second years, like yours truly, will guide you in the process. You just will have to focus on the first couple anatomy books and you will have time to order them before things really get rolling.

For anatomy I really only used three books max, for me it was netter, BRS Chung and then if you are really into reading every detail the clinical anatomy by Moore is what you want.

Those are the only books I had and eventually you have so much reading and things to look over I stopped using the Moore just because it was so much additional detail.

Again, you will learn most of this stuff from your Big Bro/Sis during orientation. Do not worry about specifics you have time and keep enjoying while you can, the fun will begin shortly. :smuggrin:

13. jecrunner

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Okay, great- thanks for the info :)

14. HCE

HCE
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    the books are good for holding up a misfunctioning window

15. JonnyG

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ahhh to remember one of my fav anatomy professor quotes "Chung, thats korean for wrong answer"

16. Animus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha yes, good reminder.

Story time: So we were in anatomy and probably the same prof Jonny speaks of was my fav also. He was grilling me with questions having a good time, him and I were always givin eachother ****. And he asked me about a nerve in the leg, I said oh the peroneal nerve? He said the what? I said you know the peroneal nerve, (which is actually now known as the fibular nerve) he said where the hell did you learn it by that name? I said Chung and then as everyone was in lab he looks at me and he screams, "CHUNG!!!....CHUNG!!!....DEATH TO CHUNG!!!", and everyone was of course staring at me and all I could do was turn red and laugh a small bit.

It is a good, condensed version, imo. But be careful when referencing it against other things or using it alone, haha.

#15 Animus, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  17. BklynWill

BklynWill EM Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All of the texts you need can be found in the library. Just buy study aids in the bookstore that you can mark up and then re-use when you study for COMLEX. This approach worked just fine for me, saved me a lot of $$$, and prevented a lot of back pain when I had to move.

18. BklynWill

BklynWill EM Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My friends and I always referred to Chung as a god during anatomy. BRS Anatomy is seriously an excellent book.

19. fireflygirl

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    So the book list for Term 1 just got posted on BB - anybody have suggestions for what to get and what not to bother with?

Primary Care Skills (PCS)
    Bickley: Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 9th ed.(rev.)

Osteopathic Principles and Practice (OPP)
    Nicholas, A. and Nicholas, E.: Atlas Of Osteopathic Techniques, 1st ed.
    RECOMMENDED:Ward et al.: Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine
    Structural Principals of Osteopathic Medicine (SPOM)
    Cellular - Microanatomy
    Eroschenko, V.: diFiore's Atlas of Histology with Functional Correlations, 11th ed.

Junqueira
    , L. and Carneiro, J.: Basic Histology: text and atlas 11th ed.

Laboratory Manual - PCOM Bookstore

(RECOMMENDED)
    Gartner and Hiatt: Color Atlas of Histology, 4th ed.

Gross Macroscopic Anatomy and Development
    Moore & Dalley: Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th ed.

Human Anatomy Dissector - T. Kvist
    (will be distributed)

Moore & Persaud: Before We Are Born, 7th ed.

An atlas is a necessity for the study of Gross Anatomy.**

Agur, Dalley & Agur: GrantÂ’s Atlas of Anatomy, 12th ed.

Netter: Atlas of Human Anatomy, 4th ed.

** Each lab group is required to have an atlas in the lab - Grant's Atlas is preferred. Students may choose either Grant's or Netter for personal use/studying. Grant's contains more information, such as tables for muscle innervation and action; Netter doesn't always provide a detailed view of some regions; Netter cannot be surpassed however for graphical renderings of the human body.

20. surrender903

Physician Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    before we are born was useless.

21. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe one of your finest moments in anatomy lab EVER. :smuggrin:

22. MDpride

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I am @ GA-PCOM.
    i don't seee anything on BB. They have pre-registered us. i can see courses in student detail schedule.
    BB says I am not enrolled in any courses

23. WestcoastMedicine

WestcoastMedicine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Don't buy the histology book. Everyone burns a copy of the histology image cd from the library. They used to have us get that book so we could reference it with the microscope slides. Since they no long make you rent a microscope its worthless. They have countless images of each type of tissue on the cd and that is all you really need to do well for that class. They just expect you to be able to identify tissue as being cartilage vs cardiac for example when they put a slide up on the overhead.

Bates is hit or miss. It is the text that they will grade your exam skills from. The EXACT way they show you how to do each system exam is the EXACT way you are expected to be able to examine a patient. If you learn how to do a abdominal exam from a different text and they have you auscultate 2 quadrants of the abdomen and bates says all four quadrants....its not the "Batesian Way" as Dr Morris says, you will be graded as doing it wrong. Some students in my class put together a CD with Dr Morris that I think they hand out free to everyone and its supposedly fairly good. Also, on the library website you can see the cd that comes with the Bates book that demonstrates how to do the exam so you can get away without the book, just make sure you follow the example.

24. fireflygirl

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    So you don't think it's worth buying any of the histology atlases or books that we were recommended:

Eroschenko, V.: diFiore's Atlas of Histology with Functional Correlations, 11th ed.

Junqueira, L. and Carneiro, J.: Basic Histology: text and atlas 11th ed.

Gartner and Hiatt: Color Atlas of Histology, 4th ed.

25. Animus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    These are probably the only musts imo, some people dont even use moore, but it is the most comprehensive anatomy text you can find.

Other books like Chung may be worth it depending on how you learn. Do not get anything else yet, if you do there is a 99% chance you not use it.

26. fireflygirl

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Ok that's almost exactly what I got but bought the Chung book instead of the moore since a lot of upperclassmen i spoke with didn't seem to use moore. Do you suggest getting the OPP book because most people told me to just use the library copy instead?

27. Animus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I used mine quite a bit and others did too, it's a good cram the night before practicals. I personally would get it, and if I recall it is not that expensive.

28. JonnyG

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    there are two opp books, one is for lab which you should get, foundations is the other one and isnt worth the cost. jjust spend a day in the library reading the assignments.

29. fireflygirl

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    EDIT: nm. I asked a silly question....thanks Jon!