SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Book recommendations for Radiology elective

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by Val7, Jan 7, 2012.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Val7

Val7 2+ Year Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Central Europe
    Hi guys!

I am starting my Radio Elective soon, and I am looking for book suggestions.
    The posts I found on here are all pretty old, that's why I am making a new one.
    Please give me your suggestions!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. shark2000

shark2000 2+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2011
    What is your goal?

If you want to read a book to impress the faculty, that is impossible. You can not do it by reading the books. BUT you can really be helpful by looking up patient's H&P, talking to clinician's, answering the phones and do small things that come by.
    We had an MS rotating with us who did not know anything about radiology (as expected), BUT used to look up all the patient's Notes, call the clinician's, search internet for questions we had and do things that used to come by. At the end of the rotation everybody gave him strong recommendation for being accepted to our program.

If you want to obtain some understanding on what going on, use UVA radiology site. it is free and have some of the most common things.

4. Gryphes

Gryphes 2+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2010
    This is a great comment - currently also rotating in the radiology at a program that I would like to get into (my top choice).

I have a question though - what do you do when residents don't ask for your involvement? For instance, on my day one, I basically had an upper level resident telling me (and the other students, first thing when we stepped into the room) that best we can do is not bother them and let them finish their job. No hard feelings, we understand they got tons of studies to read. But I was certainly hoping for some resident interaction so I can hopefully get these "recommendations" at the match time cycle.

Thankfully, I am working on a small paper with the faculty there, so at least I can collaborate with him. But otherwise, I pretty feel like the best I can do is leave (or leave them alone) at least.

5. shark2000

shark2000 2+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nothing is worse than interruption when you are dictating a study like an abdominal CT. We always have MS rotating with us. I am personally very patient and try to teach them as much as I can or at least help them SHINE in front of the faculty. Once in a while, there is an MS that I want to throw out of the reading room.
    First you can look up patient's histories on EMR, esp the difficult ones. No need for interruption. Just take a look at the list they have. Especially pay attention to the cases that he spends a lot of time scrolling throw, his dictation contains some pathology or ....Then when it is the time for reviewing with the faculy, you can start to give some comments on the clinical data. It works in most of the cases.
    I always tell the medical students to look up the clinical data. I ask them questions to find the answers, usually simple ones. If they are proactive and helpful, I usually give some good comments about them to the faculy.

I agree that you may end up working with a resident or a faculty who does not like medical students around. Probably in these cases you have to just try not to make them angry. I have a co-resident who always asks the medical students to go to the library and if someone hesitates, she gets really frustrated. You can not do that much in these kind of situations.

6. Val7

Val7 2+ Year Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Central Europe
    After reading your replies and also some reports on Rads electives, I am not sure I am looking forward to this anymore.
    I had high hopes, as this will be my first US elective. I chose it because I have always been very interested in Rads.
    Is there anything I can do beforehand to get ready other than reading books?

7. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident 7+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2007
    New York, NY
    i used Learning Radiology during my rads elective and quite like it. it doesnt touch upon nucs much at all but apart from that i thought it did a good job of teaching introductory radiology

8. loljkttyl

loljkttyl 10+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Learning Radiology (for reading at home)
    Radiology Recall (for using as reference while sitting in reading room)
    e-anatomy.org (for reviewing CT and MRI anatomy at home)

9. startoverat40

startoverat40 R1 Family Medicine 5+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2011
  10. sexyman

sexyman 5+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    My recommendation is to basically just sit there and don't say much. They will appreciate you not being annoying for the most part- I received a fantastic letter just hanging out in the reading room and just being a normal and interested person...

11. yohimbine1

yohimbine1 7+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Get Learning Radiology and Radiology Recall. Get digital/Kindle versions if available. Don't bother with more advanced books than those, as a student.