Book to offer to a beginner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hesgaroth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know my question is a bit special but I hope it's not a problem, I found nowhere else to ask it.

Well, I know nothing about veterinary medicine but my girlfriend is really passionate by it and would like to become a vet, but for the moment she is only 16 and so too young to start studying. However I would like to buy a book for her to help her, as I know nothing I wanted to ask to some professional if they could advise me ^^ I need something reachable but serious in the same time, not too complicated and advanced but not a book for children if you see what I mean, she already have some basics :) Just something that could prepare her, and if it's pleasant to read it's a plus but I think it would be in any cases. It's maybe not an easy thing to find but hope you can give me some ideas, it would make me and her happy and help :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I really like Nick Trout's books. Tell Me Where It Hurts, and there's also Love Is The Best Medicine

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really like Nick Trout's books. Tell Me Where It Hurts, and there's also Love Is The Best Medicine

:thumbup: Haven't read "Love is the Best Medicine", but I really enjoyed "Tell Me Where it Hurts" when I read it a while back.

At that age, I'd suggest a little felt book with some farm animals

Reactions: 1 users
I'm kidding! Tell Me Where it Hurts is good. Has she read Marley and Me?

Reactions: 1 user
Nicholas Dodman's "The Cat Who Cried for Help", or "The Dog Who Loved Too Much". They're case vignettes presented in an interesting way that's understandable to a lay audience. They're behavior cases that are being managed medically.

David Quammen's Spillover. Zoonotic diseases are fascinating.

You have to read James Herriot to be eligible for a DVM, right?

But really, sure, the medicine isn't particularly up-to-date anymore, but the stories are still great and they capture the idealistic nature of the profession. I honestly may not have ever pursued this profession without those books.

Thanks a lot to all of you for those quick answers, I think I will buy Tell Me Where it Hurts, as some of you advised this one and it seems nice, and then I will see for the others... You can keep giving me some books name I really appreciate it :)

Thank you!

But really, sure, the medicine isn't particularly up-to-date anymore, but the stories are still great and they capture the idealistic nature of the profession. I honestly may not have ever pursued this profession without those books.

I haven't read James Herriot. :ninja:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not recommend The Making of a Veterinarian by Dr Peter Freyburger. It's in the same vein as Trout and Herriot but not as good as either of them. It hasn't been mentioned on here, but if you're searching Amazon for the others, it might come up. So, yeah, skip it. The others are better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Crowded in the Middle of Nowhere is a really funny one!!

I had never heard of Herriot until I got on SDN.

Zoobiquity was a good book.

Yeah comparing him to Dr. Pol is strange. Doing 1930's medicine in the 1930's is very different from doing it now. Not to mention the Herriot books have a large component of fiction in them anyway.

Zoobiquity was a good book.
Agreed. To me, though, it read more as trying to convince people interested in human medicine that veterinary medicine and models are relevant to research.

It's been a while since I read it - how much does it include about practicing veterinary medicine?

Agreed. To me, though, it read more as trying to convince people interested in human medicine that veterinary medicine and models are relevant to research.

It's been a while since I read it - how much does it include about practicing veterinary medicine?

Oh, it's been a year since I read it..... The way I read it was that vet med has a ton of parallels to human med (self harm, eating disorders, suicide, etc) that not a lot of people think about. From a more vet med perspective, I think it actually reinforces the vet med "dream" as it shows a lot more of the profession than just "Emergency Vets" or "Dr. Pol" tv shows.

Also have not read.
I can't even tell you the number of large animal clients that ask why I can't do things like Herriot. Or Pol or any other "vet idol"

No one was comparing Herriot to Dr. Pol?????
I think Doktor Timo read cowgirl's post as lumping them into the same group

Oh, it's been a year since I read it..... The way I read it was that vet med has a ton of parallels to human med (self harm, eating disorders, suicide, etc) that not a lot of people think about. From a more vet med perspective, I think it actually reinforces the vet med "dream" as it shows a lot more of the profession than just "Emergency Vets" or "Dr. Pol" tv shows.
I miss Emergency Vets, I loved that show

Reactions: 2 users
She lumped them both into the "vet idol" category. While on the surface that's true, I just think they're pretty different considering the different contexts of their practices.

Oh I know, I'm just saying it seemed like that was how he interpreted her post
Yup. Sadly, people don't pay attention to such things as modern medicine and choose nostalgia and cheap over advancing all medicine in the world. Still love my herriot though. Pol can suck it. haha

She lumped them both into the "vet idol" category. While on the surface that's true, I just think they're pretty different considering the different contexts of their practices.

Yes, they are different. I just took her post as it is annoying to have clients wanting her to do things the way Herriot or Pol does them. She wasn't comparing Herriot to Pol. Clearly, Herriot was practicing medicine that was adequate for the time frame. While Pol is just an idiot and refuses to stop practicing old medicine. She wasn't saying that Herriot was bad just that it is obnoxious to have clients ask her why she doesn't do things like he did. That is how I took it.

I sat behind Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald from that show at a CE sponsored by VCA a couple months ago. Didn't talk to him, but still, haha.

Alameda East is about 15 minutes from where I grew up. Tried to shadow there, but they could only get me a spot over in the doggy daycare/spa section. Fitzgerald is awesome, one of the few bird vets in the Denver Metro. Heard through the grape vine a while back from a different vet in Denver that he sold his portion of AE for 2 million dollars cause he was done with the office politics that arose after the show. Now he just does exotics med when he can.

I definitely talked about Emergency Vets in my personal statement last cycle. It will probably end up in it this cycle too. Those were the days back when Animal Planet had real programming.

Reactions: 4 users
I definitely talked about Emergency Vets in my personal statement last cycle. It will probably end up in it this cycle too. Those were the days back when Animal Planet had real programming.
Yeah, when it was actually about animals. I miss it.

I always loved Animal Cops when I was a kiddo. Haven't even watched that channel in years though.

I'm not a big fan of how they edit the Animal Cops: Houston series. It's super choppy and shows an obvious bias to me. I can never find Animal Cops: New York; that was my fave.

I always loved Animal Cops when I was a kiddo. Haven't even watched that channel in years though.
I lived for that show when I was young. Fully decided I was going to be an animal cop until a few years later when I gave up and decided I would "settle" for being a veterinarian.

Grade 5 me amuses current me.

Yeah, when it was actually about animals. I miss it.

And legit animal shows, as opposed to OMG IF A HIPPO AND A GREAT WHITE SHARK GOT INTO A FIGHT WHO WOULD WIN?!?!1?

I miss Emergency Vets and The Most Extreme. :(