Books concerning Medical school experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PB

Hi, does anyone know the names of some good books to read about medical school experiences or experiences as a doctor?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are heaps of then out there PB. For example, THE classic is "House of God" by Samuel Shem. Its outdated and woefully racist and misogynistic in parts, but it is amusing. His follow up "Mount Misery" is about psychiatry internship.

Perri Klass has written several books including "A Not Entirely Benign Procedure" and "Other Women's Children".

Melvin Konner has written some fascinating work, with the first one about his transition from anthropologist to medical student at Harvard. The name of the book escapes me at the moment, but perhaps someone else can think of it.

I like Robert Marion's works, including "Intern Blues". He also wrote an earlier book about the medical school experience which is worth taking a look at.

You can find most of these at on-line or bricks and mortar stores. If you are interested in a particular specialty those books exist as well. EM is a particularly prolific field, with loads of books on working in the ER. Neurosurgery is fairly well represented as well; Frances Conley's book "Working with the Boys" is great as well as Ben Carson's book (I think it was called Gifted Hands). William Nolan writes several books on being a surgeon

Sheldon Nuland writes quite a bit about dying and I really enjoyed his "What Happens when we Die". If you check the medical reference section in Borders or Barnes and Noble you'll find most of these books.

Happy reading!

I just read a good one that recently came out. It's called White Coat: Becoming a Doctor at Harvard Medical School. It was written by Ellen Lerner Rothman, M.D. It's pretty good because it was written by someone who just graduated medical school like two years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second that pathologist. I read the Rothman book just before I started medical school. It was great!!

I agree with all the other suggestions, and also liked Learning How the Heart Beats, by Claire McCarthy: about (yet another) Harvard med student. And, hey, you can also check out the diaries we write on this site!(please forgive the shameless self-promotion
smile.gif
)

The name of the Melvin Konner book that kimberlicox mentionned is "Becoming a Doctor." A pretty good read.

the documentary "The Making of a Doctor" was also good. it follows the personal and professional lives of some Harvard med students from anatomy class to internship year.

hope this helps...
smile.gif

Carolin

I have to recommend "Learning to Play God" by Dr. Robert Marion, MD. He is *not* from Harvard (gasp!) but instead has a much more personal story, one that is easy for the average med school applicant to relate to.

It is, in fact, the story of his journey through the process. He started at a foreign school (RCSI in Ireland), and managed to squeeze his way into Albert Einstein in NYC. Through a series of small but significant personal successes, he made it all the way through internship, residency, and fellowship. It makes an interesting story, and I hope my own struggle will go as well.

The best book that I have read about medicine is:
"M.D." by B.H. Kean M.D.
In it he tells us of his extrordinary life in medicine and provides an excelent example of what a doctor should be.

"The Making of a Surgeon" by William A. Nolen M.D. is an excelent and infomative book on medical education. The book communicates many important points despite that it was writen sometime in the '70s.(Nolen also wrote "A Surgeon's World" about his life in rural surgery)

Melvin Konner's book "Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School" was interesting despite the the author's obsession with telling us that he has a Ph.d and his unnecessary and seemingly illogical political interjections.

"When The Air Hits Your Brain: Tales of Neurosurgery" - by Frank T. Vertosic is a short and fun book about the authors life in neurosurgery.

"Transplant" -by William H. Frist M.D. is an interesting book on transplant surgery. It is writen by current tennesee senator "Bill" Frist (the book was written long before he became a U.S. senator.

Books on medicine that I have not yet read but will (hopefully!):

A Taste of My Own Medicine - Dr. Edward Rosenbaum ( basis for the movie "The Doctor")

The Cost Effective Use of Leeches and Other Musings of a Medical School Survivor
---- Jeffrey A Drayer

Pre-Med Handbook - Howard Levitin

Gifted Hands - Ben Carson

White Coat: Becoming a Doctor at Harvard Medical School - Ellen Rothman

Did anyone else find Ben Carson a little bit of a "Horn Tooter?"

* While I reached the rank of First Leutenant after my first year in JROTC, it is not common for a person to reach this rank in such a short time. It is actually very uncommon for a person to reach this rank in four years.

* While most road crews picked up 6 bags of trash in one day, my crew picked up 320 bags of trash in two hours and took the rest of the day off with pay.

Howdy,

Anne Fadiman (SP) "The spirit catches you and you fall down" This is a book that should be required reading for all healthcare workers, CNA to physician.

(I forgot the name) "Beyond the stone arches" The life of a missionary doctor at the turn of the century in mainland China

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

Good Books...humm

Someone mentioned: "When The Air Hits Your Brain: Tales of Neurosurgery" - by Frank T. Vertosic This book is very funny and a good read!

I read Melvin Konner's "Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School" and it was one of the hardest books to get through. I did not like Dr. Konner's attitude and a lot of his opinions. It took me over a year to read that book because I kept thinking, "what a jerk this guy is."

I think all three of Ben Carson's books are great: "Gifted Hands, Think Big and The Big Picture." Very inspirational. To answer Wooo's question, no I didn't find Dr. Carson a "horn tooter." I think he kept putting his accomplishments in the book to remind you that this was the same person that was called stupid, dumb and was the worst student in his class. Also his examples show how hard work and dedication pays off in the end. (These concepts are more visible in his other book "Think Big" and even in "The Big Picture.")

Currently I'm reading "Emergency Doctor" by Edward Ziegler and Dr. Lewis Goldfrank. So far this book is boring and choppy because of the way it moves from person to person and scene to scene which doesn't provide a coherent view.

Happy reading!

I don't mean to be critical, because I'm sure I have tooted my own horn a few too many times, but it came across a little weird to me.

"Residents: The perils and promise of educating young doctors" by David Ewing Duncan

An ok book......kinda boring

My Own Country is written by Abraham Verghese about his experience practicing medicine in a small southern town as AIDS was starting to be understood/misunderstood. Not only is he not a Harvard graduate, he is a foreign med school graduate - something he addresses as well. I read the Konner and Rothman books and think this one is much much better.

Ditto to "White Coat." Great fast read.