Should I stick with this research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_rm_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've really been struggling finding research for my summer after M1. I'm currently interested in psych and FM, but this could change.

One potential research experience is with a psychologist where I create an annotated bibliography to help them with the intro of a grant proposal of theirs. I would have the opportunity to continue working on this project during the school year, but during the summer its mainly creating an annotated bibliography for their grant proposal. He mentioned doing an annotated bibliography for a poster on a different topic as well later in the summer which would get me authorship on that.

I'm just wondering if this is worth my time since I'm just going to be summarizing articles all summer? Has anyone else had experience with this? It looks like it could lead to more things in the future so I'm unsure. I was also thinking of doing this and still looking for other projects as well

Members don't see this ad.

That isn’t research, it’s you doing grunt work that he doesn’t want to do. Not an appropriate task for a student

Reactions: 1 users
That is an experience, but not research experience in my opinion. Tell them you'll get back to them when they're actually doing the research if they get funded.

You could pull articles and read them on your own and get the same out of it.

Unless I'm missing something here, annotating a bibliography/references for a poster should take like 10 minutes, and that's if someone probably put too much text on the poster to begin with. Also, honestly, someone only working on references for a poster probably shouldn't be listed as an author. That doesn't seem like any significant scientific/research/writing contribution imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is an experience, but not research experience in my opinion. Tell them you'll get back to them when they're actually doing the research if they get funded.

You could pull articles and read them on your own and get the same out of it.

Unless I'm missing something here, annotating a bibliography/references for a poster should take like 10 minutes, and that's if someone probably put too much text on the poster to begin with. Also, honestly, someone only working on references for a poster probably shouldn't be listed as an author. That doesn't seem like any significant scientific/research/writing contribution imo.
yeah fair, he described it as summarizing the articles (objective, methods, discussion and results) to help them write the intro for the proposal. I'm just wondering if I should stay on so I get to contribute to the project once its actually started?

Well that doesn't sound as bad. Maybe talk to them and see if there is a way you can convert the work into a review article or something.

The risk is on you to stay on. If it's funded then it's probably a good choice. If it doesn't get funded, you suddenly have a summer of article compilation. You will learn and get things out of it, but that doesn't look too impressive on a resume/application.

Honestly, a lot of people in my school did the summer research just for something to do and to get the stipend. If that's your goal, then fine, but it doesn't sound like it is.

yeah fair, he described it as summarizing the articles (objective, methods, discussion and results) to help them write the intro for the proposal. I'm just wondering if I should stay on so I get to contribute to the project once its actually started?
Just, no. He's not going to hear back on the funding for 3-6+ months after the grant submission, and the funding won't be released for even longer after that.

This is not research. It is doing the grunt work of the literature research that all of us in academia hate, with no direct benefit to you. You will not be around at the time that he realizes any of the rewards from these efforts, if indeed there ever are any rewards.

So I guess in general, if you really want to get a meaningful research experience, this isn't likely to be it.

As I said with people at my school, this mentor is likely just looking for someone who just wants something to do for the summer research program (assuming that's what it may be). Decent deal if there is a student just wants something something to do and doesn't care what it is.

If the mentor has other ongoing actual research projects you could jump on, then maybe, but it seems like you want a better research experience, and it would probably be good to look elsewhere.

What is an annotated bibliography? Honestly grants are trash. You only want to be writing them if it's going to you or if you have some vested interest in the project. Doing hours of research scut for an opportunity to do a poster is a big no thanks from me