Books for 4th year pediatrics electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DoctorWannaBe

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be doing all pediatrics electives in 4th year and am curious about what books to buy. Here is what I'm scheduled to take:

Peds Infectious Diseases
PICU
Peds Heme/Onc
Inpatient Sub-I
NICU (Lange series book by Gomella?)
Cardiology

Thanks!
 
Hello!

As a fellow upcoming 4th year...here's what I've heard from fellow residents for great books to carry along in your white coat

SubI --> Harriet Lane, Pediatrics On Call are both supposed to be awesome; i've heard having something like UpToDate can also be helpful, although personally, i don't really like Harriet. Some like Inpatient Pediatrics (The Philadelphia Guide) might be ok, but i've never seen it

Peds Heme/Onc --> Children's Hospital of Oakland Heme/Onc Handbook (Hastings), also the Peds Heme/Onc Secrets (Weiner) book is supposed to be OK (As a personal preference, I don't care for Secrets)

Peds Cards --> Pediatric Cardiology Handbook (Myung Park), & How to read Pediatric ECGs (also Park) are supposed to be a great tag-team

PICU --> Handbook of Pediatric Intensive Care (Pearson); I haven't heard too much on good handbooks for this one...

NICU --> Neonatology (Lange series, Gomella) is supposed to be great, also Manual of Neonatal Care (Cloherty)

Peds ID --> Access to RedBook, and DEFINITELY have the 2007 Sanford guide for Antibiotics

...Just what I've heard from various folks/faculty/IMHO
~Crazy
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone ever used the Blueprints Pediatric ICU book? It only came out last year, so I can't find any reviews about it. It looks like a small enough book that it will be easy to carry around, but I'm curious if it has enough info for a 4th year PICU sub-I to do well on the rotation.
 
Any suggestions for a book in:

1. Peds EM

2. Peds Radiology

Thanks!!

For Pediatric Radiology (in residency), I liked "Fundamentals of Pediatric Radiology" by Lane Donnelly. It is case based, has lots of pictures, and is small enough to carry around. In order to learn General Radiology (in medical school), I would however prefer a text that has a few chapters on the essentials, e.g. the normal borders of the heart on a CXR, or what's normal in terms of air-fluid levels in the small bowel, besides some introduction to the different techniques such as X-ray, CT, MRI, u/s, etc. and the general terms of how to interpret them.
 
Since I'm on my last week of Peds GI (my first elective of intern year), I'll throw my two cents in.
I searched forever and couldn't really find a good book for peds GI, but I got through the rotation by reading review articles on the following topics:
Reflux
Colic
Failure to Thrive
Eosinophilic Esophagitis
PPIs in Peds
IBS
Crohn's & UC
Constipation/Encopresis
Diarrhea
Malabsorption
Celiac
Hirschsprungs
and a review of the different formulas (Similac vs Isomil vs Pediasure etc)