Books for first year help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sman15rulz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i was just wondering if you guys just bought and used the books you were supposed to or can anyone recommend or suggest some helpful books for first and second year like for example anatomy. Thanks guys and please help!

Members don't see this ad.

why r u worrying about second year book even b4 starting ur first year. :rolleyes. here is the list of books u must have in 4 first year. idont know the trend down south but books i am mentioning are widely used all over india-

Anatomy: human anatomy part 1,2,3 by B.D. Chaurasia ( nobody reads gray's since BDC is more or less notes of gray's gross anatomy

Embryology: Langman's / keith moore (must read if u wish 2 appear for PLAB)/ Inderbir singh

Osteology: halim's
Histology: de feur's / IB singh
Neroanatomy: snell's (helpful 4 USMLE)/ ib singh
genetics: gangane/ murray barr

Physio: Guyton/ ganong

biochem: satyanarayana/ harper/ rana shinde/ lippincott

Thanks for your reply but i was also wondering if using any books used in US?Caribean such as Netters anatomy books would be agood idea? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are interested in the Caribbean school's book listing, go to www.valuemd.com, and check out the school of your choice.

GayThread.jpg

Ohh no i am not interested in Caribean. I am going to India for med school but i just wanted to know if any one uses those books to help them or are the ones they provide or the ones that allegic2morons stated good enough to understand the concepts easily and do well?? Thanks

sman15rulz said:
Thanks for your reply but i was also wondering if using any books used in US?Caribean such as Netters anatomy books would be agood idea? Thanks

hey why dont u buy a cadillac for commuting from college :rolleyes:!

shardul said:
hey why dont u buy a cadillac for commuting from college :rolleyes:!

not a bad idea at all! :p

hey be so harsh!! actually indian textbooks are pretty ordinary if not downright bad when it comes to illustrations. So it would actually help u if u have book with good illustration. I havent seen netter anatomy atlas but i have gone through its physiology atlas and if i say i was impressed by its would be only an understatement. People outhere in india prefer british textbooks over american ones (only significant exceptions being harrison's principles of internal medicine). As far as anatomy atlases are concerned McMinn's is most widely used in Mumbai. U dont necessarily need to buy it. u can always borrow it from college library. If u want to excel in anatomy u should keenly attend dissection session and carry out dissection urself. Read ur dissection manuals (cunningham') carrefully and u wont even need an atlas.

"cunningham ,not grey, is the bible of anatomy" -quote from my prof. so read you cunningham and keep it with you after your 1st year coz u will need it later. Everybody buys Chaurasia but I read Snell and did well.It is a much simpler book, makes the whole thing interesting and has superb illustrations.
If u want to go one step further go for Keith L Moore, but I think it is a bit too much for 1st year. The other books I had were I B Singh's osteology,histology,embryology and neuroanatomy. I had McMinn's too but it was a waste of money.get a bone set too..for physio get ganong or guyton, i had ganong. biochem we used a book by vasudevan and sreekumari...it was good though probably nowhere near harper..i did't go for harper.