Books for Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SBlanc said:
I've heard that Case Files is pretty high-yield for peds. Any other suggestions?

Case Files is very good. PreTest Pediatrics is actually one the better books in the PreTest series IMO. Blueprints is good reference but dense to read cover to cover.

Members don't see this ad.

Scott_L said:
There is a brand new BRS Peds book that you might want to check out if you like the format. Another book you can look at is Pediatrics for Medical Students 2e, more in-depth than Blueprints but still an easy read.

Has anyone else used the BRS Peds book? How did it compare to some of the other review books? Thanks.

Hey Guys

Just took the shelf exam for peds. You really need to know what the diagnosis is and then how to treat. I know everyone here raves about blueprints but i didnt like it and a lot of my friends also agree that it wasnt enough.

I used first aid, pretest and case files. Case files is awesome - after you diagnose, read the sections and pay attention to the next steps in the plans like what imagining you would get, how to treat etc.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Which should I get for my peds rotation? :confused:

A.
Case Files Pediatrics (Lange Case Files)
Pediatrics for Medical Students
Pediatrics: PreTest Self-Assessment and Review

B.
Blueprints Pediatrics (Blueprints Series)
Blueprints Q&A, Step 2 Pediatrics
Pediatrics: PreTest Self-Assessment and Review

pretest and blueprints all the way :horns:....i was extremely pleased with my shelf results

What is better for the Step 2 CK, Blueprints Peds or the Kaplan Step 2 Pediatric noties? They are both about the same page length. I used blueprints for the rotation but I'm wondering if Kaplan is better for the actual step 2 exam.

I would just like to second that--the Illustrated Textbook of Pediatrics is AWESOME--i remember that I read something on congenital heart defects and then by chance happened to get pimped to death on that very topic the next day...the drawings were so clear and I could remember them (and I can't ever remember anything), so I got every question right and impressed the hell out of my attending. not to mention that I nailed that shelf exam just because the basics were so well-explained. buy that book! I am going into peds and that book will definitely go with me to residency.... :)

Any concern about the 2001 publication date? Any supplementary resources for stats that might have since changed? Or is that less important for this shelf?

i just finished peds - don't know my shelf score yet but:

case files: great to cover most of your bases (there are so many different subjects within peds...)
BRS pediatrics: surprisingly was good as a reference for appropriate therapies for each disease. plus some questions in the back
blueprints Q and A step 2: questions were VERY pertinent to shelf stuff, i did it the night before the shelf, and the shelf felt kinda like another question block from the book.

regular blueprints kinda sucked, but there are some questions in the back so that's OK. i also heard first aid for peds was good, but i never saw it.

hope this helps! good luck!

I would combine A and B and use Blueprints, Case Files, and PreTest. I just took the shelf a week ago with this combo and felt good.

I would combine A and B and use Blueprints, Case Files, and PreTest. I just took the shelf a week ago with this combo and felt good.

This is what I used last year (minus the Case files, which I didn't find out about until the rotatin after...but I would use if I had to take the shelf again). I did well on Peds and my remaining shelf exams using blueprints, casefiles, and pretest

:) Just used a book that allowed me to excell in Peds Neuro! You know all those little shunt kids, well this handbook is an excellent resource for their management, has a quick reference with great labeled MRI images, etc... Maybe this book will help you as well..
HANDBOOK OF NEUROSURGERY AND NEUROLOGY IN PEDIATRICS
Author: Colen, MD

I used Blueprints on my peds rotation and I am actually re-reading the book now in preparation for my boards. It is a rather cheap and easy to read book. I don't think you can go wrong with Blueprints. Good luck!

Blueprints
Casefiles
Pretest

Members don't see this ad :)
BRS peds and pretest is all you need. make sure you do all the questions at the end of BRS, very well worth it.

What is the best book to use to study ped...I heard that it is not easy. Anyone has any good suggestion?

Search is your friend. Trust me, it's been discussed many times, including very recently.

What is the best book to use to study ped...I heard that it is not easy. Anyone has any good suggestion?

Yeah try the search thing. However, I heard Blueprints and Case files are good. Also pretest for questions.

Pre-Test and the small Peds section in Boards & Wards (~30 pages) were THE ONLY resources I used for Peds and my adjusted/curved shelf exam score was 100 (NBME score of 93, the 98th %ile). Please do not subject yourself to the terrible waste of time of Blueprints (terribly inefficient book).

when you guys recommend blueprints, are u talking about the text or questions book?

when you guys recommend blueprints, are u talking about the text or questions book?

bump

anybody do well with case files, FA wards, pretest (in addition to notes provided and reading up on patients)?

i am wondering if i would even have time to read and complete case files, blueprints, and pretest...

What do you guys think about current pediatrics?

Use Blueprints, Case Files, and either Appleton and Lange or PreTest for questions (actually, use UWorld for questions).

Quite a lot of people didn't finish reading BRS, thus didn't even get to questions. Bad idea IMO. There is a lot in BRS that is totally unnecessary. Everything on that test was in Blueprints or mentioned on Appleton and Lange/PreTest/UWorld. That is completely enough.

Of the question books, I would recommend UWorld>A&L>PreTest just because there is a lot of unnecessary fluff or super detailed stuff in A&L and PreTest, but not UWorld.

Skip the cardio chapter in Blueprints... worthless waste of time.

Read Peds in Review articles on all your patients + any common subspecialty subjects that you won't necessarily see on the wards (immuno, rheum, ortho, etc).

Case files and pretest, plus a little reading on the side from a number of sources (including the Illustrated Textbook of Peds), got me to 99%tile. I honestly don't think you need much more. I couldn't get through Blueprints - that cardio chapter was awful, and I just gave up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for pocket sized reference books for Paedes? I was planning to get the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties (which covers Paedes, Obs/Gyn, GP, Psych, etc) but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

thanks!

Does anyone have any recommendations for pocket sized reference books for Paedes? I was planning to get the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties (which covers Paedes, Obs/Gyn, GP, Psych, etc) but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

thanks!

For a pocket reference (not an amazing book), I used Pocket Pediatrics. It's a new book, essentially the same as Pocket Medicine (the Red book) but for kids. I bought it on Amazon, since it's essentially brand new I couldn't find a used copy.

First Aid for Wards 3rd ed.

Blueprints Pediatrics 3rd ed.

Both are in new condition, no marks or highlights at all. Only 20 bucks each or 35 for both.

Msg me if interested - I can meet in NYC or I can mail them to you.

Here's what I'm thinking of using:

Blueprints
Pre-test
Case Files

Seem like a solid choice? Overkill? Not enough? Inferior to alternatives?

I'll be on peds in Dec-Jan -- I've seen several people use Harriet Lane, but even more have picked up Pocket Peds. On Amazon there's a texas children's combined peds and neo book that's coming out... who has info on a good pocket manual for someone interested in peds? I already know I hate the Harriet Lane, and Pocket Peds doesn't have any neo. Thoughts?