Books for Sub I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone, about to start my sub-I in surgery next month. Any good pocket books you recommend I carry around? I found pocket medicine to be useful during my medicine rotation. Is pocket surgery any good? Any other books? I didn't carry any books during my third year surgery rotation and did fine with reading deVirgillo outside of the hospital. Just wondering if I should step up my game for the sub i?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, about to start my sub-I in surgery next month. Any good pocket books you recommend I carry around? I found pocket medicine to be useful during my medicine rotation. Is pocket surgery any good? Any other books? I didn't carry any books during my third year surgery rotation and did fine with reading deVirgillo outside of the hospital. Just wondering if I should step up my game for the sub i?

Yes, you need to step up your game as a sub I. Beinhg able to regurgitate facts and ask intelligent questions coupled with seeming eager/interested can be "enough" for 3rd year. As a subI, you need to start showing you can function as an intern. This includes understanding how to evaluate surgical patients and formulate a plan independently (though you will certainly run this by a resident before executing). For that, I would recommend something like the Mont Reid Handbook. For specific cases, I would recommend reading the relevant chapter in Cameron's.

During my Sub-i I read Cope's Acute Abdomen which was nice.