Books on Attractiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dotally

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm not even in medical school yet but I'm interested in books that you guys may read concerning what is beautiful. Because sometimes I'll see people that are not that attractive genetically but they make themselves look a lot better by clothing, or makeup (if they're female), and physical well being. I searched already but threads just show up on how attractiveness plays a role in admissions, or books on hardcore plastic surgery.

I'm just interested in basics about beauty, but more in-depth than just symmetry (which from what I've read, perfect symmetry is actually kind of scary). What I am looking for is a book concerning the face mostly. Perhaps it talks about types of noses, types of faces, and how some noses on some faces aren't as attractive on others, etc...Cheekbones, ratios, eyes...

I'm Asian myself and I know my nose isn't the best, fortunately my eyes aren't tiny like some of my peers but I've always been interested in beauty, but its just lately I noticed some women that dress really bad, but then when I take a closer look, their body/face is actually quite exquisite despite their wardrobe. And I don't want to stare at them too long so a book would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm reluctantly replying to this...

A quick google search for "facial aesthetics" gives a number of results. Perhaps the most informative is this article:

http://jorthod.maneyjournals.org/content/28/2/159.full

How applicable this is to current practice, I cannot say. I've done minimal work with facial cosmetics. My suspicion is most books on aesthetics used by plastic surgeons will fall into the category of "hardcore plastic surgery," as you describe it. You might try shadowing a plastic surgeon near you who specializes in cosmetic surgery. S/he may be able to give you insight into planning ideal facial features.

Thanks! That was an interesting read. I will look for articles using similar keywords.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm not even in medical school yet but I'm interested in books that you guys may read concerning what is beautiful. Because sometimes I'll see people that are not that attractive genetically but they make themselves look a lot better by clothing, or makeup (if they're female), and physical well being. I searched already but threads just show up on how attractiveness plays a role in admissions, or books on hardcore plastic surgery.

I'm just interested in basics about beauty, but more in-depth than just symmetry (which from what I've read, perfect symmetry is actually kind of scary). What I am looking for is a book concerning the face mostly. Perhaps it talks about types of noses, types of faces, and how some noses on some faces aren't as attractive on others, etc...Cheekbones, ratios, eyes...

I'm Asian myself and I know my nose isn't the best, fortunately my eyes aren't tiny like some of my peers but I've always been interested in beauty, but its just lately I noticed some women that dress really bad, but then when I take a closer look, their body/face is actually quite exquisite despite their wardrobe. And I don't want to stare at them too long so a book would be helpful.

I typically would not respond to posts like this but I think this is sad and utterly disappointing to read. It's rather unfortunate that you disparage your unique physical features in the name of aligning with some arbitrary standard. I think the issues in this post go beyond just physical appearance and there are professionals who can help with the more deep-seated issues reflected here.

Reactions: 1 user
I typically would not respond to posts like this but I think this is sad and utterly disappointing to read. It's rather unfortunate that you disparage your unique physical features in the name of aligning with some arbitrary standard. I think the issues in this post go beyond just physical appearance and there are professionals who can help with the more deep-seated issues reflected here.

Well have you never seen some people's eyes and wondered how they can still see through them? Like I don't go around telling them that and I have friends like that but it's just something I notice i guess.

Well have you never seen some people's eyes and wondered how they can still see through them? Like I don't go around telling them that and I have friends like that but it's just something I notice i guess.

Gold.

Reactions: 1 user

83a1c199-7a19-4bc1-945c-f189e0726842.jpg

tumblr_m4n1a232qi1r44q7k.gif