Books regarding psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrea

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what books you've read in the past that have drawn you towards becoming a psychiatrist. Are there good personal accounts out there? Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

I am using my wife's account on student doctor.

As you can see this is a very old account because my wife signed on early.

We have now both graduated medical school. In fact, my wife is a second year FP resident.

My story is more complicated. During my year of internship in FP, I started to really hate my work and hate FP. I was really depressed (clinically).

I started on meds and continued psychotherapy which I had begun in my fourth year of med school.

I now have an interest in psych because I think having been a patient, I have the sensitivity needed to be a great psychiatrist. I want to focus mostly on psychotherapy and not just be a med pusher.

The books that I have read are Dr. Irvin Yaloms books. "Existential Psychotherapy" is a great one. He also has one on group therapy which I am half way through.

The other book is fictional It is by the same author who wrote House of God. The book is called Mount Misery. It is a continuation of the first book except this time the main character is now in a psych residency.

So those are the books. You asked about books, and I just mentioned three that I have read.

If you are curious what my wife and I look like, the pictures are here: As you can see, We are military physicians (at least I was before I was medically discharged): http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.pl?photo=91190&size=big

sincerley, Chin

Have you read "An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Redfield Jamison? Several psych residents recommended it to me, and I enjoyed reading it. It was written by a clinical psychologist with bipolar disorder, and is a very articulate account direct from the mouth of a person with mental illness.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Psychiatry in Crisis" by Allan Hobson. It's historical, prescriptive, and somewhat biased, but makes for a good read nonetheless.

by Lori Schiller and Amanda Bennett

This is Lori's account of her battle with schizophrenia. Very interesting reading.......insightful and disturbing but a definite must read if you are thinking about psychiatry

and of course, A Beautiful Mind, which was made into a movie.........I highly recommend reading the book, though......there are incredible differences.

Thanks everyone. Will have to read one of these over Thanksgiving!

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. It's a thinly veiled autobiography, giving a first-hand narrative account of her first bout of severe depression (with psychotic features, IMHO). It's a sad read, b/c we all know of her eventual suicide years after the book was written. However, to peer inside her mind is valuable.

The book is also very entertaining, and believe it or not, very funny at times.