Books to read for the SAT. (Not Prep Books)

bluewind751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that reading great literature books can improve your reading scores on the SAT. But does that mean you should only read books off of the College Board's 101 Recommended Books list, or can you read books about anything? (Like books about medicine? :laugh:) I'm kind of new to reading this summer since I used to hate reading unassigned books :oops:, so can anyone help please?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can read books off of some list the CollegeBoard makes. I used to read a lot, and I didn't strictly confine myself to a list to do well on the CR or Writing sections of the SAT (I got 770 in both with little studying because it's a skill you build over time). I read some classics and non-fiction science books, whatever seemed interesting.

this is really boring to some people, but i think just going over vocab books for the sat helped me a lot. i did read a lot when i was younger though-just anything i was interested in. as long as the book has a mix of unfamiliar words, which you go and look up and memorize, that counts as sat practice. :)