Boom boom

Started by deleted4401
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted4401

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody or has anybody done the 2 x 2 Gy palliation for follicular/low grade lymphoma palliation? Do you have size limit or any size? I just had the opportunity to see one in consultation, but I can't wrap my head around 4 Gy being enough for this 7 x 6 cm mass in the inguinal region.
-S
 
darth-vader-i-find-your-lack-of-faith-disturbing.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've used it once to a rather large field - pelvic and inguinal nodes bilaterally for low grade lymphoma causing significant pain from leg edema. Helped some, not a lot. I've just added fractions to hopefully actually give this patient some durable palliation. A co-resident used 2x2 to a smaller field with good results.
 
I've used it once to a rather large field - pelvic and inguinal nodes bilaterally for low grade lymphoma causing significant pain from leg edema. Helped some, not a lot. I've just added fractions to hopefully actually give this patient some durable palliation. A co-resident used 2x2 to a smaller field with good results.

Used several times in residency and in community practice. Had great results. In Haas JCO study, 44% had tumors/nodes >5cm and reported >90% response rate... so it works in larger tumors. Would be hesitant to use in lesions >10cm. Despite a high rate of lymphoma apoptosis within the first 24 hours, some patience is required. The magnitude of response is often not appreciated until first follow up 1 month later.
 
I treated a patient with 2x2 Gy for a 12 cm long and about 5 cm wide mass in his right arm muscles. Histology showed marginal zone lymphoma. Treatment was in January. I saw the patient for follow up 2 weeks ago and the mass had disappeared. There still was a slight swelling of the right arm, but it was all soft.
 
I did it a ton in residency - basically every palliative follicular lymphoma case that came through the door got 2 Gy x2 (as well as occasional low grade lymphomas of other histologies - disseminated MALT, etc). It usually works really well. And, if it doesn't work, you can always re-treat to a higher dose since they've only received 4 Gy. Just make sure the patient understands that it may take a little while to get a response. If it's causing the patient a lot of pain, or threatening any adjacent organs you probably want to go higher to get a quick response though.
 
Yes, I've also used it a few times, but agree that it can take a while. the last case I did was a periorbital mass that was and I did not want to cause a dry eye but it took about 3 months for it to completely go away.