Boost GPA in the summer..... not good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmira

Princess of Power
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..
I'm from Canada, second year undergrad.
I'm working on raising my GPA this year by taking some summer courses(electives, not required sci courses)
I was wondering if American schools look down on this?
For example, when calculating my GPA, will they exclude summer credits from the average?
I know some Canadian schools do this when they average your best two consecutive years...
Can you please tell me if American schools do the same.

As well,
Last semester I took only 3 courses (bc of financial probs), I was wondering will this greatly affect my chances? i plan to finish the next 2 years with a full course load and a fairly decent GPA...
I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS calculates your GPA using all courses you've taken (for a grade) during any session from any institution. I don't think taking only 3 courses for a semester will be any kind of problem. I don't know how Canadian schools work as far as a normal course load, but I took only 3 courses several times during my college career, and out of 13 interviews, I've never even been asked about it.

Hi

I'm from Canada.

I have always taken heavy courseloads, but I've also taken the time to do summer school (for the sake of learning...!).

They do count these GPAs. I'd recommend taking as many courses as you can reasonably do well. Ace these courses and you'll be fine. The American schools don't care as much as the Canadian schools, IMHO.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think this is a great idea. I took orgo in the summer and boosted my science gpa. At an interview I was asked if I took it with lab (which I did all at once). So my point is, maybe take 2 classes together so you look like you challenged yourself. Since they are non-science courses, med schools won't care when you took them anyway, and it will prolly make your cumulative gpa look nice.

I took 3 courses the semester I took my mcat. My first semester as a freshman I took 3.5 courses technically, and I couldn't find another half credit class! I had dropped a lower level Spanish class (waste of time) that semester, so I went from 4.5 to 3.5 credits. Never asked about that one, but I've only had 3 interviews.

I did the same thing, took organic in the summer, with all of my anal-retentive pre-med friends telling me not to do it, blah, blah, blah, that the med schools don't like requireds during the summer. But, taking it during the summer along with the lab allowed me to totally focus on orgo, I ended up getting A's, boosting my GPA, and I got into one of my top 5 schools so it obviously didn't hurt me taking it in the summer.

Bottom line, don't listen to anyone else, do what you think is right for YOU!

CJT

Thanks for the advice guys..
Just out of curiosity what were/are your stats? (GPA Mcat etc..)

Maybe you can do some interesting EC's that will show your uniqueness, besides just boosting your stats?