You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Boston University MAMS 2022-2023
Started by Boston University MAMS
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! When is the fall 2022 start date for classes?Hi everyone! Thank you all for your interest in the MAMS program. Please feel free to use this page to ask any questions that you may have!
I applied without a test score and already received my acceptance so I don't believe they are put on hold, or maybe it was because I applied pretty early?Hi! I was looking at discussion boards from past years and some people were mentioning that if they applied with a practice test score or without any test scores their application was put on hold and the admissions committee waited until May/June to look at them. Is there any truth to this?
I think around January 14thThank you! When did you apply?
Did you indicate on the application that you were going to be submitting a test result later on? Also, congratulations!I applied without a test score and already received my acceptance so I don't believe they are put on hold, or maybe it was because I applied pretty early?
I want to apply to MAMS for this following 2022-2023 semester, I am planning on submitting my application this month and I understand that additional materials could be sent after the submission. I was originally planning on taking the MCAT on April 9th, and I would have my result back in the beginning of May. However, I think if I take it at the end of April I would have a higher chance of getting a better score, but the test result doesn't come back until the 31st of May. I am wondering if I were to submit my application now, and I indicated that I was going to be submitting a test result later, if they would put my application on hold or if there would be a chance of acceptance without the test result. I'm trying to gauge how the MCAT will make a difference in my application and if it would be in my favor to take it in the beginning of April and do the best that I can so i can have my materials submitted in earlier or potentially doing better at the end of April but having materials submitted close to deadlines (their June 1st recommendation). If anyone has some insight on this, I would appreciate some feedback. Thank you.
I applied with a semi-poor MCAT score, but mentioned in my application that I will be retaking it this summer, prior to the start of the program. Will this be factored in?
Just got accepted! App was marked completed on Feb 27th so really quick turnaround.
Is there a FB group I can join for finding roommates and whatnot?
Is there a FB group I can join for finding roommates and whatnot?
rashelle101
Full Member
Just got accepted! App was marked completed on Feb 27th so really quick turnaround.
Is there a FB group I can join for finding roommates and whatnot?
Congrats!!! I applied on 2/15 and im still waiting to hear back! Hopefully they get to my application soon
I emailed Dr. Offner and she said they were planning to have one up by this week or next! Super excited!Just got accepted! App was marked completed on Feb 27th so really quick turnaround.
Is there a FB group I can join for finding roommates and whatnot?
I applied with no MCAT and still got in; I think you should be totally fine. Also, I think they recommend you take it after the program ends anyways so you should be good no matter what!I applied with a semi-poor MCAT score, but mentioned in my application that I will be retaking it this summer, prior to the start of the program. Will this be factored in?
no, I haven't taken the MCAT yet and was planning on doing so after the smp so I just didn't submit any score.Did you indicate on the application that you were going to be submitting a test result later on? Also, congratulations!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same!Congrats!!! I applied on 2/15 and im still waiting to hear back! Hopefully they get to my application soon
Has this been made yet?I emailed Dr. Offner and she said they were planning to have one up by this week or next! Super excited!
YepHas this been made yet?
What’s the deadline to submit FAFSA?
insouciant12
Full Member
Hi!! For folks who have been accepted- would you mind sharing how long it took to receive a decision after your application was received? Thank you 🙂
I think it may depend on when you applied. I applied and heard back in January.Hi!! For folks who have been accepted- would you mind sharing how long it took to receive a decision after your application was received? Thank you 🙂
Have you heard back?Did they say how long it would take to hear back one way or another? I was marked complete on 1/12/22 and I still haven't heard anything... I just don't know if at some point I should reach out?
Hi! The admission process is rolling so decision timelines may vary.Hi,
How long is the decision process after submitting an application?
The Facebook page for the incoming class has been created. If you have paid your deposit, you will be admitted into the group!
I applied in January and still haven't heard anything back. I contacted the admin and all they said is to wait. Seems like this year's rolling admission is a lot slower than last year's if I compare the sdn forums.
To incoming applicants
I am a MAMS alum and just want to give my quick two cents as you decide to apply to post-bacc programs.
MAMS is effectively a two year program. I would highly discourage people from doing the one year program. I honestly believe it shouldn't be offered as a one year track. If you do well your first semester and send in your GPA to schools, it is already very late in the application cycle. You would be lucky to get an additional interview or two. Realistically, you are in a better position if you hold off one more year and apply at full strength. I know the feeling of wanting to get into med school right here and now, especially as you see your peers start their careers, but taking another year is so minor in the course of your whole life. I do think the two-year track is worthwhile.
I graduaded MAMS many years ago on the one-year track, attended a DO school, and now I am in residency at a large urban academic center on the east coast and my career is on solid ground. It ended up working out well, but in hindsight the path wouldve been easier doing a two-year track and going to an MD school. I had a >3.9 GPA in MAMS which was very tough to do, and it did not get me an interview at BU after the first semester ended. To be honest, this infuriated me at the time. I had a 31 on the old MCAT which was in the low-to-middle range. My friend was also in the one year track, had an MCAT that was stellar and performed the same as me for GPA. He also did not receive an interview that first year. This goes to show that the one year track is not worthwhile.
MAMS was probably the single most difficult academic year of my life given the stakes. The education itself is incredible. It gave me an absolutely terrific foundation of physiology with which to build my pathophysiology knowledge. I kid you not, I still use my handwritten physiology notes to this day for review. When in med school, you will appreciate the knowledge you have from MAMS.
Feel free to message me if you want opinions not from the program itself.
I am a MAMS alum and just want to give my quick two cents as you decide to apply to post-bacc programs.
MAMS is effectively a two year program. I would highly discourage people from doing the one year program. I honestly believe it shouldn't be offered as a one year track. If you do well your first semester and send in your GPA to schools, it is already very late in the application cycle. You would be lucky to get an additional interview or two. Realistically, you are in a better position if you hold off one more year and apply at full strength. I know the feeling of wanting to get into med school right here and now, especially as you see your peers start their careers, but taking another year is so minor in the course of your whole life. I do think the two-year track is worthwhile.
I graduaded MAMS many years ago on the one-year track, attended a DO school, and now I am in residency at a large urban academic center on the east coast and my career is on solid ground. It ended up working out well, but in hindsight the path wouldve been easier doing a two-year track and going to an MD school. I had a >3.9 GPA in MAMS which was very tough to do, and it did not get me an interview at BU after the first semester ended. To be honest, this infuriated me at the time. I had a 31 on the old MCAT which was in the low-to-middle range. My friend was also in the one year track, had an MCAT that was stellar and performed the same as me for GPA. He also did not receive an interview that first year. This goes to show that the one year track is not worthwhile.
MAMS was probably the single most difficult academic year of my life given the stakes. The education itself is incredible. It gave me an absolutely terrific foundation of physiology with which to build my pathophysiology knowledge. I kid you not, I still use my handwritten physiology notes to this day for review. When in med school, you will appreciate the knowledge you have from MAMS.
Feel free to message me if you want opinions not from the program itself.
Thank you for your insight! I have been accepted to MAMS. I have not taken the MCAT. When do you think is the right time to take the MCAT? In August of this year prior to starting MAMS or should I wait to finish the program and take it June/July after MAMS?To incoming applicants
I am a MAMS alum and just want to give my quick two cents as you decide to apply to post-bacc programs.
MAMS is effectively a two year program. I would highly discourage people from doing the one year program. I honestly believe it shouldn't be offered as a one year track. If you do well your first semester and send in your GPA to schools, it is already very late in the application cycle. You would be lucky to get an additional interview or two. Realistically, you are in a better position if you hold off one more year and apply at full strength. I know the feeling of wanting to get into med school right here and now, especially as you see your peers start their careers, but taking another year is so minor in the course of your whole life. I do think the two-year track is worthwhile.
I graduaded MAMS many years ago on the one-year track, attended a DO school, and now I am in residency at a large urban academic center on the east coast and my career is on solid ground. It ended up working out well, but in hindsight the path wouldve been easier doing a two-year track and going to an MD school. I had a >3.9 GPA in MAMS which was very tough to do, and it did not get me an interview at BU after the first semester ended. To be honest, this infuriated me at the time. I had a 31 on the old MCAT which was in the low-to-middle range. My friend was also in the one year track, had an MCAT that was stellar and performed the same as me for GPA. He also did not receive an interview that first year. This goes to show that the one year track is not worthwhile.
MAMS was probably the single most difficult academic year of my life given the stakes. The education itself is incredible. It gave me an absolutely terrific foundation of physiology with which to build my pathophysiology knowledge. I kid you not, I still use my handwritten physiology notes to this day for review. When in med school, you will appreciate the knowledge you have from MAMS.
Feel free to message me if you want opinions not from the program itself.
Definitely after MAMS, 100%. You'll be a beast in physiology. You'll be exhuasted and not want to study after a year of MAMS, but its the right thing to do and you'll be better prepared. You'll also have gained tremendous discipline and study habits that will be necessary for MCAT studying.Thank you for your insight! I have been accepted to MAMS. I have not taken the MCAT. When do you think is the right time to take the MCAT? In August of this year prior to starting MAMS or should I wait to finish the program and take it June/July after MAMS?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! Would you mind sharing how you studied effectively for the MAMS program? I have been out of school for several years and would like to know how current students or alumni from this program studied effectively as I would like to really be successful.Definitely after MAMS, 100%. You'll be a beast in physiology. You'll be exhuasted and not want to study after a year of MAMS, but its the right thing to do and you'll be better prepared. You'll also have gained tremendous discipline and study habits that will be necessary for MCAT studying.
Also, you mentioned that you did the 1 year track and don’t really recommend it for most students (I’m definitely doing the 2 year track) For your peers who did the 2 year track, where they able to get substantial EC’s (volunteering, clinical experience, research, etc.) done? From what I have gathered, the 2nd year of the program is highly flexible where students where able to work full time and also do ECs.
I don't recommend the one year track for any student regardless of circumstance. The timeline with an application cycle just doesn't make sense.Thank you! Would you mind sharing how you studied effectively for the MAMS program? I have been out of school for several years and would like to know how current students or alumni from this program studied effectively as I would like to really be successful.
Also, you mentioned that you did the 1 year track and don’t really recommend it for most students (I’m definitely doing the 2 year track) For your peers who did the 2 year track, where they able to get substantial EC’s (volunteering, clinical experience, research, etc.) done? From what I have gathered, the 2nd year of the program is highly flexible where students where able to work full time and also do ECs.
For those who did the two year track, the absolute biggest thing was that they were able to present a full year of (hopefully) good grades in MAMS and a good MCAT at the very start of the application cycle. Regarding the second year, it is way way more flexible than the first year. Many stayed local, some went to other states. Some sounded really cool and legit. I honestly can't speak much more to it, though.
insouciant12
Full Member
Has anyone been accepted recently? I was complete at the end of March and haven't heard anything and am getting worried.
adsff
New Member
Same! My application was submitted in April though so just wondering what the turnaround time isHas anyone been accepted recently? I was complete at the end of March and haven't heard anything and am getting worried.
floppybismuth
New Member
Has anyone been accepted recently? I was complete at the end of March and haven't heard anything and am getting worried.
Yes! I was accepted today and submitted a week and a half agoSame! My application was submitted in April though so just wondering what the turnaround time is
insouciant12
Full Member
Are there any alumni of the program around to chat? Looking to get a few questions answered 🙂
I'm an alum. I can speak from a perspective of the one year track and the first year curriculum (which is identical for regardless of 1 vs 2 year track).Are there any alumni of the program around to chat? Looking to get a few questions answered 🙂
strawberriez1
New Member
Hi! From my understanding we were able to submit the application regardless of the letters, but I was wondering if anyone knows if they still review your application before everything has been submitted? (I am currently waiting on my last letter writer)
adsff
New Member
You need to have the minimum amt of letters required for the application to be reviewed! But if you added extra letter writers, the app will be reviewedHi! From my understanding we were able to submit the application regardless of the letters, but I was wondering if anyone knows if they still review your application before everything has been submitted? (I am currently waiting on my last letter writer)
Has anyone heard back who applied in March?
My app was marked complete on March 7th and have yet to hear anything.
My app was marked complete on March 7th and have yet to hear anything.
I submitted my application on March 14th and have not heard anything back yet. Under the "Application Status" is states "Complete" but I am not sure if that means I am missing anything or if has to say "Verified". I also tried reaching out to the email provided on the website and have not heard anything back.Has anyone heard back who applied in March?
My app was marked complete on March 7th and have yet to hear anything.
rashelle101
Full Member
I submitted my application on March 14th and have not heard anything back yet. Under the "Application Status" is states "Complete" but I am not sure if that means I am missing anything or if has to say "Verified". I also tried reaching out to the email provided on the website and have not heard anything back.
I applied and completed it on February 10th but i also have not heard anything back yet. I have tried emailing as well with no response. Just patiently waiting at this point
Jan applicant here that still hasn't heard anything back. No response from my email either so I'm just waiting as well.Has anyone heard back who applied in March?
My app was marked complete on March 7th and have yet to hear anything.
I submitted my application in April, I heard back with acceptance this week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
adsff
New Member
Congrats!! Submitted in April but didn't hear anything back yet :/I submitted my application in April, I heard back with acceptance this week.
jshnchahl07
New Member
Submitted my application in April, submitted spring 2022 grades and an updated CV two days ago and heard back with an acceptance today.
My app was marked complete 3/7, I updated them with Spring Grades on 5/21, and was accepted this morning on 5/24.
good luck to those still waiting!
good luck to those still waiting!
JustPeachy1
New Member
Congrats! Same here, was just accepted! I know there's a FB group that's discussing housing, but is there a groupme or something to meet other students in the program?Just got accepted! App was marked completed on Feb 27th so really quick turnaround.
Is there a FB group I can join for finding roommates and whatnot?