bottle of teeth in checked baggage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loved

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the dilemma of transporting my teeth across the country for dental school. I have the option of placing it in my checked luggage during my flight back, but wonder what is going to happen when luggage screeners see a bottle of teeth in the x-ray screen. I can picture it happening..

Screener: what is that.. we have to take it out of the luggage to check.
[rummage through my luggage]

Screener to me: what is this?
Me to screener: its a bottle of teeth.
Screener to me: real teeth?
Me: yes.
Screener to other: call security.

Has anyone taken a bottle of teeth in their checked luggage before?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the dilemma of transporting my teeth across the country for dental school. I have the option of placing it in my checked luggage during my flight back, but wonder what is going to happen when luggage screeners see a bottle of teeth in the x-ray screen. I can picture it happening..

Screener: what is that.. we have to take it out of the luggage to check.
[rummage through my luggage]

Screener to me: what is this?
Me to screener: its a bottle of teeth.
Screener to me: real teeth?
Me: yes.
Screener to other: call security.

Has anyone taken a bottle of teeth in their checked luggage before?

I think you might be better off spending a little $ to ship them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have carried teeth through airport security (in addition to my metal spatula, whitening gel, alginate, PVS, impression trays, etc.) with no problem. When they ask I just tell them I am in dental school. No big deal. It isn't like you are carrying a weapon through, it's just teeth.

You are allowed to take human teeth on the airplane. That's actually a rule, according to UCSF.

i would ship them. OR, if they are still dry - carry them on. I had my ortho masters thesis sample in my carry on - dried and sliced pig skull bone. They didn't say a word to me, but I was ready for a ton of questions. I also had a statement from the professor's lab I took them from confirming what they were, but never needed to show it to anyone. If your teeth are in formalin or bleach, I would ship the teeth.

I've done it lots of times, you're fine, don't worry about it. the worst thing that could happen is them asking a question and you having to say that you are in dental school, which has never happened with me. I've carried them on and checked them and never have even been questioned.

Why do all of you have teeth? What do you do with a bottle of real human teeth?
Collector's items.

Actually it's so we can drill into 'em and do some Work.

That's crazy. Where do you get them?
Just from dentists/oral surgeons that extract a lot of teeth. I just asked my mother-in-law who works for a dentist & after a few weeks she just presented me with a small jar of about 15 teeth. It was kinda nasty cuz most of 'em still have a lil bit of tissue on 'em. :eek::eek:

Why do all of you have teeth? What do you do with a bottle of real human teeth?
Practice.

That's crazy. Where do you get them?

I can imagine the looks I would get if I said, "Hey, this dude just died. You mind if I take his leg home so I can practice my fracture fixation technique?"
So can I. If people had 32 legs and, on average, undergone 12 amputations by age 50, though, you probably wouldn't consider it as big a deal.

They sell @ the Graveyard as well

I have takent them on in my chercked bag before with now problem. I imagine that they see far worse things than just a jar of old teeth.

We flew back from a mission trip in Belize with a Sprite bottle full and they never said anything.

I brought them on my carry-on with me and no problems at all. Actually, I think it's a better idea to bring them on the plane than ship them. You'd have to declare them as "potentially hazardous" with the USPS and they may refuse to send them at all. And it's safer to have them with you. Quite a precious commodity during endo!! (some classmates were selling them for $10/each for practicals)

I brought them on my carry-on with me and no problems at all. Actually, I think it's a better idea to bring them on the plane than ship them. You'd have to declare them as "potentially hazardous" with the USPS and they may refuse to send them at all. And it's safer to have them with you. Quite a precious commodity during endo!! (some classmates were selling them for $10/each for practicals)

Just make sure that if you carry them on the plane with you, that your container has NO liquid (formalin, listerine, etc) in it, otherwise they may confiscate it and then you are up a creek. You can only have liquids if they are less than 3oz and in their labeled containers that say what they are and how much liquid is present.

Take them on the plane dry or ship them in a plastic bottle that will not leak or break.

Really? and to think of all the money I could have made when I was giving away my teeth to my classmates. :p

and to think how much you can make by selling teeth for WREB candidates... i have heard people selling teeth for $50 for WREB endo