Bought a pharmacy. Sold a pharmacy. Ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Def no one took me for anything. I was in day to day control of all the money in the bank and payed all the bills and payroll myself.
As I said we had a large store in NY so that was around 10K month. Add pharmacist salaries, add 1 tech, add front end employees, add delivery driver and helper, add utilities, add insurance etc... trust me its the truth.

Now if you have a store with say a rent under 3k a month and no deliveries and small front end so only need 1 register for whole store then all of a sudden numbers add differently. But as they say location location location, you usually get what you pay for. The most money to be made as a pharmacy today is having a walgreens , cvs ,99c store type front end that crap is guaranteed money and guaranteed margin in the right neighborhood. How many hydrocortisones and canes you gonna sell daily, not enough is the answer, most small pharmacies have dusty non moving front ends.
At your independent how did you deal with expired meds and expired C2s?

Members don't see this ad.

At your independent how did you deal with expired meds and expired C2s?

same as chain. sign up with company there are many. you can do it online on their website or have someone come to your store and pull and process outdates. c2s they send you a dea form once you submit request and you send c2s to them. then wait for that check in the mail

Reactions: 1 user
i like asking about frauds, but if you're not comfortable discussing, i have some others. do u have anyway to deal with employee theft, which is common in hospitals n retails? or pilferage. if they drop expensive pills on the dirty floor, do u take a loss and discard them? u might not, but on your day what's to stop your employees from incurring intentional big losses? also, as u clearly have an attitude and frictions with other employees or partners and talk trash about them freely on here, do they also have resentment against u? do they try to do everything they can to screw up your failed business? like intentionally miscounting and give customers extra pills? how do u detect or prevent losses like this on your day off? for example, the attitude that u have right now, what's to stop an employee from slipping some expensive pills in their pockets each day (on your day off) just because they hate your un-appreciative attitudes? do u have any way to monitor these types of losses? in retrospect, do u think your business loss and failure might have some of these "common" workplace practice? // as an anonymous stranger, this is what i would do if im fed up with my boss. 1.5 years is good enough time to send an un-appreciative boss to chapter 11.

Members don't see this ad :)
i like asking about frauds, but if you're not comfortable discussing, i have some others. do u have anyway to deal with employee theft, which is common in hospitals n retails? or pilferage. if they drop expensive pills on the dirty floor, do u take a loss and discard them? u might not, but on your day what's to stop your employees from incurring intentional big losses? also, as u clearly have an attitude and frictions with other employees or partners and talk trash about them freely on here, do they also have resentment against u? do they try to do everything they can to screw up your failed business? like intentionally miscounting and give customers extra pills? how do u detect or prevent losses like this on your day off? for example, the attitude that u have right now, what's to stop an employee from slipping some expensive pills in their pockets each day (on your day off) just because they hate your un-appreciative attitudes? do u have any way to monitor these types of losses? in retrospect, do u think your business loss and failure might have some of these "common" workplace practice? // as an anonymous stranger, this is what i would do if im fed up with my boss. 1.5 years is good enough time to send an un-appreciative boss to chapter 11.

At the independent i was at in a rural area when we dropped pills we just picked them up and brushed them off and put them back in the container

same as chain. sign up with company there are many. you can do it online on their website or have someone come to your store and pull and process outdates. c2s they send you a dea form once you submit request and you send c2s to them. then wait for that check in the mail
What are these companies called?

lol wow you are such a loser. and fyi i did not lose my business nor did i fail. The pharmacy market is a failure. I actually made money although not a sum to brag about but the lessons I learned and the way I grew as a person made it worth it for any future ventures and life itself. You however are just a loser keyboard warrior and I just won't address anymore of your stupidity.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't wait until another thread when someone will bring this up, and sosoo will post "I never say I would steal from company. You just assume I say. When did I say I steal from company if I mad?"

What are these companies called?

Inmar is a big one

To once again make the mistake of answering your question/post using competent logic:

It's very obvious if an expensive med goes missing because they're ordered in small quantities and nearly always dispensed in 1 or 3 month quantities.

So, if you have 7 patients getting #30 of an expensive med, and all of the sudden a bottle only has 27, you check the invoices and usage.

If the invoices say we've ordered #1,700 in the past, and the computers say we've used #1,670, then obviously some went missing.

You can look up the fill times to see when the bottles were last used and check the security camera footage around those times.

This isn't hard to wrap your head around.
This is very, very basic reasoning.

Lastly, you describe some pretty detailed methods of theft and fraud here, and you explicitly state "this is what I would do"
You're pretty public about how much you hate CVS.

Are you admitting that you steal from CVS?

Last edited:
Do you have to use one of these or can you just throw your meds and controlled meds in the trash?

giphy_s.gif

lol wow you are such a loser. and fyi i did not lose my business nor did i fail. The pharmacy market is a failure. I actually made money although not a sum to brag about but the lessons I learned and the way I grew as a person made it worth it for any future ventures and life itself. You however are just a loser keyboard warrior and I just won't address anymore of your stupidity.

clearly you're just another clueless individual. each of those things i said are common occurrences that cost many retail and hospital pharmacies a ton of money. cvs employee theft was a huge issue at one point. i put these out there so the next clueless individual won't be like u. 1.5 years. Lol.

To once again make the mistake of answering your question/post using competent logic:

It's very obvious if an expensive med goes missing because they're ordered in small quantities and nearly always dispensed in 1 or 3 month quantities.

So, if you have 7 patients getting #30 of an expensive med, and all of the sudden a bottle only has 27, you check the invoices and usage.

If the invoices say we've ordered #1,700 in the past, and the computers say we've used #1,670, then obviously some went missing.

You can look up the fill times to see when the bottles were last used and check the security camera footage around those times.

This isn't hard to wrap your head around.
This is very, very basic reasoning.

Lastly, you describe some pretty detailed methods of theft and fraud here, and you explicitly state "this is what I would do"
You're pretty public about how much you hate CVS.

Are you admitting that you steal from CVS?

really? i don't know. i saw a ton of pilferage whenever i go to a 24 hr store and i just toss them in the trash. even if they're not dirty and just lying around on the counter. i always toss them in trash and it appears no one is watching those cameras or going through the invoice as u said.

really? i don't know. i saw a ton of pilferage whenever i go to a 24 hr store and i just toss them in the trash. even if they're not dirty and just lying around on the counter. i always toss them in trash and it appears no one is watching those cameras or going through the invoice as u said.

Wait... You've personally witnessed pilferage of prescription medication while you were pharmacist of record and you didn't do anything about it?

It's a good thing this is an anonymous forum.

Wait... You've personally witnessed pilferage of prescription medication while you were pharmacist of record and you didn't do anything about it?

what can a floater do exactly?. im there for one day only. i cannot train the techs on how to count pills. this responsibility and loss thereof is from the PIC's and district sup. if u toss them in strongpak its still a huge monetary loss all the same. if they dont have the slightest clue on business management and how to minimize loss, in the trash they go.

Sweet, me n my boys gonna roll up for free candy, as the pharmacist on duty will be too busy explaining to the techs that they cannot teach them to count by 5's; the far-reaching absolution of floaters is enviable!

what can a floater do exactly?. im there for one day only. i cannot train the techs on how to count pills. this responsibility and loss thereof is from the PIC's and district sup. if u toss them in strongpak its still a huge monetary loss all the same. if they dont have the slightest clue on business management and how to minimize loss, in the trash they go.

... Do you not know what the word pilferage means?

Lol. i actually just looked it up. my bad.

It's OK.

I think everyone on here already assumes that you don't know what the words you're using mean anyway.

Tomato tomäto