Bovine predominant private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

segeorge

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my final year (waiting on NAVLE results :hungover:) and struggling with employment options. So many people in my class already know where they're going. I know it's still early, but I'm freaking out a bit not knowing where I'm headed after graduation. I have a very specific idea of what I want to do (bovine/food animal practice) and where I want to live... but I just feel like there are no jobs for people who want to do specifically food animal medicine out there! How are my fellow FA people doing? Have you found a job yet? How'd you find it?

Members don't see this ad.

I am finishing up my final year (waiting on NAVLE results :hungover:) and struggling with employment options. So many people in my class already know where they're going. I know it's still early, but I'm freaking out a bit not knowing where I'm headed after graduation. I have a very specific idea of what I want to do (bovine/food animal practice) and where I want to live... but I just feel like there are no jobs for people who want to do specifically food animal medicine out there! How are my fellow FA people doing? Have you found a job yet? How'd you find it?
Aabp is a great place to look. What specifically is your interest- feedlot,cow/calf,dairy, other? Are you willing to do any small as that can also change up your options too. What's your ideal split or just bovine? and where are you looking to move to? If you're looking in the PNW or western US region I pry have a lead on a few jobs. Bovine vet to vet on FB is also another great option.
Feel free to PM me if you want!

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow future bovine practitioner here! It certainly depends on what kind of cattle you desire to work with (i.e., beef, dairy, both). Personally, I'm a beef guy. I will be working in the southeastern United States following graduation at a rural mixed practice; we're pretty much the only option for cattle vets in our area. I've been working there as a tech/assistant for 10 years, though, so I didn't have to work very hard to find a bovine-centric job

Although our location has plenty of cattle to keep me content, I will undoubtedly have to supplement my income with small animal work. While it's not my absolute favorite activity, I do find pleasure in working with dogs and cats. I will always consider myself a cow doctor first and foremost though. The only vets in our area that make a living from cow work alone are the repro pros, but I'm not interested in that. I prefer to work with herds and individual sick/injured animals. I'm one of those weirdos that loves to go pull a calf in the middle of the night.

It's not a possibility for me, but to only practice beef medicine I would need to move to the western plains. For those who want to work with dairy cows, the midwest is their best bet. It can be tough for us folks who would prefer to practice food animal medicine exclusively. Today, less than 1% of Americans are professional farmers, and that drastically limits the geographical area in which we can make a living solely off farm work.

Thanks for the quick replies. I would like to do as little SA as possible. Love beef but would also do dairy, I just don't want to do dairy exclusively. I want to work in Texas. I just feel like what I want is so specific and I'm going to be disappointed if I can't find a job that fits!

I have checked AABP (not many options for TX!) and I am part of Bovine Vet-to-Vet on FB.