bpcm higher than cumulative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarlett14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have a question - i was scrolling through the what are my chances board and it seems common that peoples bpcm and overall gpas are pretty close to each other, with the overall usually being higher.

however, mine is completely the opposite. my overall is 3.52 (with a big upward trend) and my bpcm is 3.62. (my college makes us take a lot of humanities classes to graduate no matter what your major is.) i was just wondering whether this looks strange? i wasnt sure and any opinions would be much appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys i have a question - i was scrolling through the what are my chances board and it seems common that peoples bpcm and overall gpas are pretty close to each other, with the overall usually being higher.

however, mine is completely the opposite. my overall is 3.52 (with a big upward trend) and my bpcm is 3.62. (my college makes us take a lot of humanities classes to graduate no matter what your major is.) i was just wondering whether this looks strange? i wasnt sure and any opinions would be much appreciated! :)

Honestly, that difference is not very significant. Now 3.8 sGPA 3.4 cGPA...that's a difference (but the sGPA is still good enough IMO) and sometimes while browsing I've seen 3.2 cGPA and 3.9 sGPA (that'a a bit of an eye raiser and will probably cause problems). Yours on the other hand looks pretty ordinary. Also, in case you also want to know if they're going to look at your sGPA more heavily then yes they will but they'll still look at your cGPA (realize it's a bit lower and won't really pay it too much attention).

Normally it depends on the person's major. For example, if someone is a business major, the only BCPM GPA they have will be in the prereqs. If they did well in them, the sGPA will be high. However, they still have many more credits in non science things and may have a slightly lower cGPA.

Personally, I think applicants should shoot for at least a 3.5 in both. You want higher than that, but those GPAs will give you a solid chance for medical school.