Brand new grads as managers in retail pharmacy

Started by pharm B
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was talking to a pharmacist about her time in retail, and she mentioned that she was hired on in a retail chain as a Pharmacy manager straight out of school (about 10 years ago). This was also the first job she'd ever had.

In our particular store, she was a great fit and it worked out well. But I have two questions: Would you expect to see this today (a fresh grad with no experience walking straight into PIC) in your retail stores? What areas do we have to move up to after management? I'm assuming District Manager or Trainer, or something to that effect.
 
During the height of pharmacist shortage, it was common for a fresh grad to become a PIC. Basically, with rapid openings of new stores, Wags and CVS needed to fill the spots as fast as they can with whoever with a pulse and a pharmacist license.

I doubt you'll see that anymore.
 
During the height of pharmacist shortage, it was common for a fresh grad to become a PIC. Basically, with rapid openings of new stores, Wags and CVS needed to fill the spots as fast as they can with whoever with a pulse and a pharmacist license.

I doubt you'll see that anymore.

I hope. I know a staggering amount of people that are managers either out of school of within a few scant years. It cracks me up. Although being a retail PIC isn't that big of a deal. I don't know any hospital pharmacy directors under 30, though...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know of at least a couple of stores that were so bad they couldn't find an experienced pharmacist willing to manage so they just gave them to newer pharmacists who didn't know any better.
 
I hope. I know a staggering amount of people that are managers either out of school of within a few scant years. It cracks me up. Although being a retail PIC isn't that big of a deal. I don't know any hospital pharmacy directors under 30, though...

I knew a DOP (@ a hospital of course, acute care) that got the job < 6 months out of school at the age of 25. How about that?
 
I was talking to a pharmacist about her time in retail, and she mentioned that she was hired on in a retail chain as a Pharmacy manager straight out of school (about 10 years ago). This was also the first job she'd ever had.

In our particular store, she was a great fit and it worked out well. But I have two questions: Would you expect to see this today (a fresh grad with no experience walking straight into PIC) in your retail stores? What areas do we have to move up to after management? I'm assuming District Manager or Trainer, or something to that effect.

I have seen it before. When I worked in retail...one of the interns that worked with me at the same store got to be manager of a new branch that opened up.
 
I hope. I know a staggering amount of people that are managers either out of school of within a few scant years. It cracks me up. Although being a retail PIC isn't that big of a deal. I don't know any hospital pharmacy directors under 30, though...

Not sure about all states - but Oregon puts a huge chunk of liability on the shoulders of the PIC. That alone would make me wait at least a year (to observe and get my feet).
 
Yeah I know one girl in my area that happened to. I think it has to do with the fact that the head pharmacists is hardly compensated any better than the regular pharmacists and has to deal with so much more crap. So it doesn't seem hard to get that kind of position if that's your thing. Several pharmacists have told me to do myself a favor and not be the boss pharmacist. :laugh:
 
Yeah I know one girl in my area that happened to. I think it has to do with the fact that the head pharmacists is hardly compensated any better than the regular pharmacists and has to deal with so much more crap. So it doesn't seem hard to get that kind of position if that's your thing. Several pharmacists have told me to do myself a favor and not be the boss pharmacist. :laugh:

Thats what I been told. Being the manager of retail store is POS and you only get like 1-3$ more per hour than a normal r.ph.
 
I know our particular company gives the PIC a bonus that was around 20k last year. I'm not sure what the stipulations are behind the bonus, though (only so much shrink, at least so many new accounts, etc).

I agree with the sentiment above about wanting to get your feet first. I can't imagine someone who's never worked before walking straight into managing the box. Our company in particular has just gotten a little more insane with all of its regulations and SOP. Thanks for the responses!
 
I hope. I know a staggering amount of people that are managers either out of school of within a few scant years. It cracks me up. Although being a retail PIC isn't that big of a deal. I don't know any hospital pharmacy directors under 30, though...

I've known several, although they were small hospitals, usually at the critical access level so it was literally a one-horse town. One reason why people generally don't want to do it is because it's a salaried position, unlike a staff pharmacist which is more commonly an hourly wage.

OT: Has anyone else noticed that school principals, especially at the elementary level, tend to be very young? Most of the ones in my area are women in their 30s.
 
I've known several, although they were small hospitals, usually at the critical access level so it was literally a one-horse town. One reason why people generally don't want to do it is because it's a salaried position, unlike a staff pharmacist which is more commonly an hourly wage.

OT: Has anyone else noticed that school principals, especially at the elementary level, tend to be very young? Most of the ones in my area are women in their 30s.

It's probably just their particular career path. Don't most principals have a masters or doctorate? I know a few teachers who are just putting in their years as teachers to get in good with the district and bump up to administration. I thought it'd be the coolest thing to teach at a college one day, but I don't know if I'll have all the degrees they require. 😉
 
I've known several, although they were small hospitals, usually at the critical access level so it was literally a one-horse town. One reason why people generally don't want to do it is because it's a salaried position, unlike a staff pharmacist which is more commonly an hourly wage.

OT: Has anyone else noticed that school principals, especially at the elementary level, tend to be very young? Most of the ones in my area are women in their 30s.

Not here. Women in their 50's with at minimum Masters...and some PhD.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know of at least a couple of stores that were so bad they couldn't find an experienced pharmacist willing to manage so they just gave them to newer pharmacists who didn't know any better.

This is exactly how it happens. The pharmacists who have been around for awhile are smart enough not to take the PIC.

Here is what being a pharmacy manager is like. You have all the responsibility, all the hassle, all the blame and none of the glory. It barley pays more than a staff pharmacist and is frustrating as hell most days. New grads are usually the ones they fool into taking the position, especially at hard to staff, bad stores. That is how it played out for me.
 
I rather work a few more hrs as a staff pharmacist than have all the responsibilities, legal worries, and BS that comes with being "the PIC".

The bonus would be nice though!! :laugh:


bonus isn't really that great