"Branding" yourself... or... pretty websites/ads for psychiatrists?

Started by shan564
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shan564

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We had a (4th-yr med school) lecture today about social media and medicine. The speaker was a marketing person who kept emphasizing how we need to maintain our "brand" as doctors... it was mostly about how we shouldn't put stupid things on facebook, but it sparked a discussion about the ethical issues surrounding self-advertising for doctors.

I've seen a lot of nice-looking websites where psychiatrists sell themselves on why they're better than the "competition" (I won't name any names or put in any specific links, but you can find plenty online from a quick google search). I've always been a fan of using the Internet in creative ways, but this just seems wrong to me for some reason. I feel like psychiatrists should maintain a low-key practice... sure, it's a business, but patient care shouldn't be complicated by sales and marketing, should it? Or am I just a naive medical student who has yet to learn the ways of the world?

I'm planning to build a website for myself when I graduate in a few months, but I think it shouldn't have much more than my qualifications/CV, my particular areas of interest/expertise, and some evidence-based answers to commonly-asked questions about psychiatry. It just doesn't seem ethical to try to actively recruit patients with marketing strategies. On the other hand, pharma companies advertise potent drugs on TV all the time... and plastic surgeons, LASIK specialists, etc. etc... so I guess the precedent has already been set.

I feel like medicine (and psychiatry) is headed in the wrong direction in this regard. We probably have too much direct-to-patient advertising in America as it is... and it seems like we can only counter the glut of advertising with even more advertising.

Thoughts?
 
I'm with you. I find those websites off putting and would probably steer away from scheduling an appt with someone who had a site like that. I'm probably in the minority. (Not here, but in the general population)
 
Last edited:
I'm with you. I find those websites off putting and would probably steer away from scheduling an appt irish someone who had a site like that. I'm probably in the minority. (Not here, but in the general population)

At that lecture, some of the doctors in the audience commented that they've had a few patients who specifically mentioned that they find it concerning if they're referred to a specialist who doesn't have a website - so much so that they might actually prefer to go to a different specialist who does have a website. I don't know if anybody here as had the same experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Of the 20 or 30 websites like that I've ever seen, only about 2 or 3 did not make me think that the person on the website was such a tremendous douchebag that it hurt my head. I have "friends" who have made websites like that, and I think every view should come with a free dose of Zofran.
 
I don't see anything wrong with just putting up your presence with your photo, philosophy, types of services you offer, payment policy, office hours, etc..
 
I don't either, zenman. It's the ones with the hard sell and promising certain results that are off putting to me. I think a basic webpage with the basic info you describe would be appropriate and useful.
 
Did you have this in mind, perhaps? 🙄

:barf: There is nothing else to say about this guy. I had a schizophrenic come to our psych ER totally psychotic. He and his wife spent all this money and saw this guy for an evaluation. They did a SPECT and he was told, according to the patient and his wife, that he did not have schizophrenia based on the scan. So he stopped ALL his medications....The result--psychosis with a trip to the ER. Luckily he didn't do anything harmful.
 
That's a lawsuit right there.

When I was solo, I had a guy come into my practice who had been seen there. He had a copy of his report. He told me he had ADHD based on the SPECT scanner and I needed to prescribe him a specific high dose of adderall. I declined and referred him for neuropsych testing. Never saw the guy again.
 
Rule 1-Don't listen to 99 percent of marking people. They are in the business of stealing money from people like doctors who have absolutely no idea about business and are naive and willing to pay money to them for promises of many things.

I think this is a great topic and I am sorry for those that wish it were not so, but the reality is that medicine is a business.

If you do not want to deal with branding yourself, you can make a fine living getting a paid salary hospital job or a practice in community medicine that is salaried or even a private practice where you do 15 minute med checks and take insurance. Insurance will feed you enough patients and if you see enough you will do fine.

If you want to start a cash practice than be prepared to brand yourself. This does not mean you have to compromise your ethics or make false statements. Silly to claim you are the "best" this or that. I had to really learn a lot this year when starting out and I will share the most helpful tips that I learned.

First, meet with other successful business people in your city. Cold calling local big publications to meet the editors, local business people, other successful doctors etc. Most successful people told me that the number one rule if you want to take your practice to the next level of sucess-

1. Find a niche market. For psychiatrists this is still easy even if you simply offer psychotherapy and medications. Few do this and its something you can stand on to promote something that few other do. If you add a few other features such as weekend appointments, addiction care, dementia care or 1 hour long appointments instead of 45-50 minute etc. A couple things to make yourself more desirable than the next cash psychiatrist goes a long way in people taking interest in you and adding to your brand.

2.You cannot argue or ignore SEO. Buy a book and learn now about how search engines work. Google is the most important. Although word of mouth and referrals are important eventually, people still look locally online for psychiatrists and all services. If you can consistently rank on the first page for your specific area or search time (ie. Beverly hills psychiatrist, top beverly hills psychiatrist. Just an example) that is powerful and not nearly as hard as you think.

You can take advantage of the fact 95 percent of other physicians are pretty business naive and thus if you spend some time learning, you can edge many out who may be "better" than you but who don't necessarily know how to promote themselves.

Again don't make false claims or have a corny website but a quality website with the following items helps both people reading it because its interesting and helps with google search rankings-

1. Quality of content. Lots of quality, unique (as in having different content on each page) and content that is updated frequently. This is where a blog is so key. Even if nobody ever reads your blog, a frequently updated blog is so important to google in terms of search rank because they value updated, fresh content so highly.

2.Proper use of your target key words without overdoing it. There is a fine line between using "beverly hills psychiatrist" too many times throughout the site and not enough times. There is an art to keywords in content but with some learning you can be effective.

3.Some component to your website that makes you an "authority" Lots of information about your credentials, experience, education, any articles or publications and any media or press experience. People's perceptions are reality and people percieve quality when they see this which is often true anyway.

Great topic and good luck!
 
Did you have this in mind, perhaps? 🙄

I enjoy the fashion sense, the poses, and the constant expression of raised eyebrows, incredulousness, with mouth agape in bewildered disbelief that probably represents the astoundedness that he experiences every. waking. moment. of the wonderfulness of SPECT. Neat-o!

BTW my career goals and niche after residency: three 10 hour days a week of telepsychiatry on facetime from my iphone while on vacation somewhere awesome with no. call. evah! I don't care how much money I make, I just want to bask in the glory that is substantial and plentiful free time. Yaaaay!
 
Some simple questions about starting a private practice, if anyone cares to answer:

1. Can anyone recommend a good book that outlines the fundamentals of starting a practice, especially for psychiatry, and details such things as LLC, how to establish a patient base, marketing fundamentals, etc?

2. Does office rent/office manager's salary qualify as tax deductible usually?

3. How do you guys view telepsychiatry in the future? Would be nice to be able to see patient's throughout the state on my computer monitor!

4. What's the reality of solo practice nowadays? Is it still a viability, especially in cash-only, or is a group practice the norm, as it can decrease office costs, secretary costs, etc?

Thanks!
 
Some simple questions about starting a private practice, if anyone cares to answer:

1. Can anyone recommend a good book that outlines the fundamentals of starting a practice, especially for psychiatry, and details such things as LLC, how to establish a patient base, marketing fundamentals, etc?

2. Does office rent/office manager's salary qualify as tax deductible usually?

3. How do you guys view telepsychiatry in the future? Would be nice to be able to see patient's throughout the state on my computer monitor!

4. What's the reality of solo practice nowadays? Is it still a viability, especially in cash-only, or is a group practice the norm, as it can decrease office costs, secretary costs, etc?

Thanks!

I'll take a first stab.
1. I'm not aware of good starter books on a psychiatric practice. "The medical entrepreneur" is an ok book in general.
2. Business expense. And talk to an accountant. I don't even have an office manager (mostly needed for insurance billing).
3. I suppose. Always remember the liability that you have the same responsibility as if you're in the room with someone. I find it intriguing.
4. Solo practice is very doable. Some people form a co-op for nighttime coverage/on-call, where you rotate nights/weekends, or cover for another practice when away on vacation. If you're not accepting insurance, I've found it quite doable to have a minimalist practice. I pay for office rent, furniture, and a phone line. Everything else is electronic. I accept credit cards (a nice alternative for pt's as a delay if you're super-billing) digitally, have a web EMR, and am otherwise cash only. My phone line forwards through google voice and notifies me immediately if I have a call. So minimal overhead, nearly all digital. Then it's just a matter of time to network, build up a good enough patient base to generate a self-perpetuating stream of referrals (so need a separate job in the meantime).

I think the slimeyness of advertising is fluffing yourself as better than you are, offering false hope, and particularly with using peacock terms to describe yourself (a pet peeve of mine). The middle ground is aesthetically showing yourself well, but not overdoing it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3. How do you guys view telepsychiatry in the future? Would be nice to be able to see patient's throughout the state on my computer monitor!
The APA has a few private telepsychiatry companies that were actively recruiting. Their only requirement was that you commit to a minimum of 16 hrs per week to a max of whatever you want. The company supplies the equipment and "technical staff," you just log in and the appropriate time. Salary was very competitive. You need to have a license in the state the patient is.

It doesn't take much of a read to realize you could very well do it yourself directly (the equipment is relatively cheap and easily accessible), the only clincher is lining up contracts with underserved populations and having access on their end.

The VA is already using telepsych in a big way. Psychiatrists in the major centers provide therapy to regular patients served by patients treated in rural clinics without regular mental health staff.

It's interesting stuff. The research indicates that there's not much difference to the patient between having a psychiatrist in the office versus through a big screen. I can imagine certain advantages and disadvantages to that kind of experience.
 
The APA has a few private telepsychiatry companies that were actively recruiting. Their only requirement was that you commit to a minimum of 16 hrs per week to a max of whatever you want. The company supplies the equipment and "technical staff," you just log in and the appropriate time. Salary was very competitive. You need to have a license in the state the patient is.

It doesn't take much of a read to realize you could very well do it yourself directly (the equipment is relatively cheap and easily accessible), the only clincher is lining up contracts with underserved populations and having access on their end.

The VA is already using telepsych in a big way. Psychiatrists in the major centers provide therapy to regular patients served by patients treated in rural clinics without regular mental health staff.

It's interesting stuff. The research indicates that there's not much difference to the patient between having a psychiatrist in the office versus through a big screen. I can imagine certain advantages and disadvantages to that kind of experience.

Interesting that you guys bring up this point... in the lecture that sparked this thread, the other speaker was an actual doctor who was advocating the use of telemedicine to help take care of underserved populations. Unlike the "branding" thing, I really liked that idea. Afterwards, I asked him about his feelings with regard to writing a prescription for a patient who you haven't personally examined - but he seemed to have no reservations about it. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that idea, but if the evidence shows good outcomes...