Brazilian PT to take NPTE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GF is a Brazilian PT with a masters equivalent . She is fluent, but she has not taken any PT course in English. What is the main thing I need to tell her to do to pass the NPTE ? As in, what are the most important courses or anything that she needs to do. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

English NPTE study guides. She might want to study more than average as the pass rate for foreign trained PT's is poor vs US trained. If I remember right it is about 30% vs 85%.

I agree with the previous post, foreign PTs have troubles clearing the NPTE on their first try as they don't have much experience taking multiple-choice questions and some areas (integumentary, professional roles, teaching/learning, pharmacology) is somewhat different than in other countries..Your wife should take the preparation course that is offered by the TherapyEd. It's very helpful and will teach her tricks and strategies on how to tackle multiple-choice questions..Also, she has to be very fluent in English and comprehend questions well..
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. She has an 85 on toefl and better grammar than I do. Lol. She is very fluent, but possibly needs some exposure to medical terminology or other related terms that will prepare her for the npte. She is not like other foreign PTs... She actually has almost a perfect American accent . I will definitely follow the advice . Thanks again

I am sure she'll succeed..Believe me, I am a foreign-trained PT from Europe with 5 years of experience and 105 in TOEFL (29/30 in speaking section), nevertheless I failed on my first try with just 7 points short of passing (593/600)..It's not only English that is an issue, but multiple-choice format and some areas that need a bit of focus..If she has good books (like O'sullivan, Giles) and takes lots of practice tests, she'll be fine, can buy PEAT test to see where her weaknesses are. I also advise to find a study partner, study together and quiz each other before the big day! Good luck!

Thanks amarinos! Wow that's a rediculous toefl score lol. Yes hopefully I'll be admitted and in or school at the same time that she's studying for it and it will be perfect. Where are your practicing?

Just keep your fingers crossed, my second attempt is on July 31st:)! The first one I fell short of 7 points..never took multiple-choice in my life, so it was tough and confusing..hopefully this time it will make more sense. Good luck with your quest to become a successful PT and your girlfriend to clear the NPTE!

Just keep your fingers crossed, my second attempt is on July 31st:)! The first one I fell short of 7 points..never took multiple-choice in my life, so it was tough and confusing..hopefully this time it will make more sense. Good luck with your quest to become a successful PT and your girlfriend to clear the NPTE!

Don't worry buddy I'm sure you'll pass next time. Thank you and good luck to you as well:)