• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

BRCA1/2 mutation positive, doesnt want surgery

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
Have you guys ever had a patient in their 40s, rich family history of breast and ovarian cancer, tested positive for the mutation, but does not want any prophylactic surgery. How would you proceed with surveillance? Obviously routine mammography is needed. Would this be an indication for routine pelvic ultrasound (q 1 year)? I read somewhere that sometimes CA 125 is checked as well? (Though i thought tumor markers were more relevant in post diagnosis and prognostic situations)

VA Hopeful Dr

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
  1. Attending Physician
Have you guys ever had a patient in their 40s, rich family history of breast and ovarian cancer, tested positive for the mutation, but does not want any prophylactic surgery. How would you proceed with surveillance? Obviously routine mammography is needed. Would this be an indication for routine pelvic ultrasound (q 1 year)? I read somewhere that sometimes CA 125 is checked as well? (Though i thought tumor markers were more relevant in post diagnosis and prognostic situations)
I punt these people to our breast surgeons and OBs to manage each of those as it's tricky, and wrangling with insurance on these folks is a big pain.

The one patient I have with that gets a yearly mammogram and a yearly breast MRI offset by 6 months from the mammogram.

Reactions: 1 user

chessknt

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
  2. Attending Physician
Is the patient going to be ok with oopherectomy with any ultrasound finding? If you do an annual pelvic ultrasound youll probably run in to a cyst vs mass eventually and the ovary will need to come out I imagine. Sounds like a hard convo to have so once referral might be better we if they'll see her without a diagnosis

About the Ads

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
I punt these people to our breast surgeons and OBs to manage each of those as it's tricky, and wrangling with insurance on these folks is a big pain.

The one patient I have with that gets a yearly mammogram and a yearly breast MRI offset by 6 months from the mammogram.
yeah, i want to do the same. It's better for her to hear the risk/benefits discussion from a breast/oncology surgeon.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
She needs to be followed by Breast Surgery and Gyn Onc, or at least a "High-risk Clinic" if such a thing is available in your area/system.

For the women who get dxd w/ breast cancer and have a BRCA1/2 mutation, I will quarterback their other surveillance, but I always bring Gyn Onc (and GI if BRCA2) on board.

Reactions: 2 users

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
She needs to be followed by Breast Surgery and Gyn Onc, or at least a "High-risk Clinic" if such a thing is available in your area/system.

For the women who get dxd w/ breast cancer and have a BRCA1/2 mutation, I will quarterback their other surveillance, but I always bring Gyn Onc (and GI if BRCA2) on board.

Do you check tumor markers? I saw something in pubmed that some check a CA-125, yearly maybe. I never thought to do that (as a means of pre-diagnosis surveillance).

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
Do you check tumor markers? I saw something in pubmed that some check a CA-125, yearly maybe. I never thought to do that (as a means of pre-diagnosis surveillance).
In conjunction with semi/annual pelvic US, yes, it can be done. But then, I don't do the pelvic US, so I don't check the CA125 either. That's what Gyn Onc is for.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.