Break it down for me please...MD vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true....try going into the allopathic forum and try starting a MD vs. DO flame war and it will not get very far, probably because by that point nobody really cares and are just worried about getting through medical school. By the time you finish clinicals and are in residency you will have respect for anybody who has gotten through the same obstacles as you, whether MD or DO. Also the USMLE has a humbling effect when a DO or even a Carribbean student does a lot better. what are you gonna do?...refer back to how their undergrad gpa or mcats were lower...It's not about the path you take, but it's where you end up that matters.

No no, neither DO nor MD ever respects the Caribbean students . . .

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I think it's just that those who are PRE-allopathic look down on DO until they are humbled by med school

It's ok, we can change this so long as everyone in pre-allo on SDN vows to continue looking down upon them...FOREVER.

lol.

Originally Posted by Pansit
Why D.O Medical School have lower average numbers:

1.) Many pre-meds have no idea that they even exist, so they dont even apply. (Plus there are only 25 D.O vs. 125 MD schools)

2.) Pre-med misconceptions also stop some from applying, such as DO's cant specialize or DO's will have a hard time finding jobs after residency..etc. Just part of the lack of knowledge about the profession

2.) Many people associate more prestige with the M.D., probably because your harvards, johns hopkins..etc are allopathic schools with huge research dollars.

3.) D.O. schools are definitely more non-trad friendly than allopathic schools, so these applicants tend to lack a bit less on academic numbers but greater on real world experience.

4.) Some people do not feel comfortable with the osteopathic philosophy

5.) thats all i can think of for now...
6.) Inability to count.

Ouch...pwned.

Members don't see this ad :)
That wouldn't hold too well if your resident, attending, professor, or boss happened to be a DO. :lol:

It's ok, whenever they pimp you, you just silently add it to your dislike of DOs, then go into private practice and proceed to hang a sign on your wall warning all your patients of the dangers of DOs :laugh:

I'm obviously kidding, but on a side note my dad lived in Kirksville, MO when he was younger and he still doesn't like DOs, which is pretty funny to me.

Anyways, in reality I think after med school it becomes more a trash-talking war between specialties, since any DO that got into an allo residency is more or less the same as the an MD in the same residency. So then the trash talk between specialties will begin.

They don't really resort to quite as silly threads, but if you go to the allo specialty forums you'll still occasionally see some VS idiocy, and at that point it'll also be a lot of "who makes more money" kind of stuff lol.

Someone let me know if this is totally out of line. But as I read about MD's, DO's, and use of OMT- is it fair to say that if there was a spectrum with say Allopathic doctors on one end and Chiropractic doctors on the other end, a DO would fall somewhere in between (albeit much MUCH closer to the allopathic side)?

You are wrong on that part. DOs have MORE training than MDs its simple as that. Look at our books, classes, boards etc. It is exactly the same material as MDs. But DO's curriculum is harder. WE have to have one extra class and one extra lab on OMT per week. That is 3 more credit hours of extra classes.

Well, the joke used to be what do you call someone who can't get into a MD medical school???
-A DDS!

Now it's...
-A DO!!

Actually, I can go to the carribbian and get your so called "prestigous MD degree". Also there are a few MD schools whos gpa requirements are below DO schools. My DO's average this year was 3.7. compare that to New orleans or howard. Also remember, may be for you it was harder to get into your school, but at the end of the day DO will ALWAYS have more training than their MD counterparts, its just simple as that. You just can not beat the 300 extra hours spet on manual medicine.

I suggest you do a search to read some actually reasonable explanations of MDs vs DOs. Auron's post is horribly skewed (talking about DO's "better understanding" and the like) and simply doesn't paint a fair picture of the distinctions.

Generally MD vs DO threads get shut down as a result of flaming between the two camps. Which is why you are getting the dead horse and "do a search" responses you are getting. Read more, post less on this topic.

LoL, no one will look down upon you. Someone might even look down upon you because you did not go to Harvard or Yale....what about then? Don't let people's false perspectives influence you. Infact, most of the false rumours are spread by Pre-Meds and rarely first year medical students.

We have ER/SURGERY/FAMILY MED etc medical directors coming from MD hospitals giving us lectures all the time. They all say they dont care about MD/DO. What matters are the board scores and letters of refernce.

Actually, I can go to the carribbian and get your so called "prestigous MD degree". Also there are a few MD schools whos gpa requirements are below DO schools. My DO's average this year was 3.7. compare that to New orleans or howard. Also remember, may be for you it was harder to get into your school, but at the end of the day DO will ALWAYS have more training than their MD counterparts, its just simple as that. You just can not beat the 300 extra hours spet on manual medicine.

You should "spet 300 extra hours" learning to spell/type also. And, remember that DO schools let you fail classes in undergrad and retake them for a new grade. GPAs are calculated differently between MD schools and osteopath schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.