-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Break time
Started by Goro
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
SDN is not going to be the same without Goro..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Be well.I'm taking a break from SDN... y'all behave, OK.
Have a good break, Goro!
I'm taking a break from SDN... y'all behave, OK.
Like a week break, or like 6 months?
Say it ain’t so, Goro...
Say it ain’t so...!
Say it ain’t so...!
9
965978
Question: How many Goro’s does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Answer: He doesn’t need a light bulb cause he’s lit AF
Answer: He doesn’t need a light bulb cause he’s lit AF
Who else will tell 3.7/515 applicants to apply DO now?
9
965978
Who else will tell 3.7/515 applicants to apply DO now?
I don’t think he’s ever done that. Unless the person had 4 prior MCAT exams that were below 500 or something.
9
907914
Enjoy your break! Please come back May 1st when I get my MCAT back so I can tag you in my WAMC post......
Nooooooo sdn wont be the same. Have a great break Goro
R
RTC19
I hope you have a nice break. 🙂 I take SDN/Internet breaks every so often too and find it really good for me. I wasn't here at all in 2016.
We look forward to your return whenever you are ready.
We look forward to your return whenever you are ready.
Everyone, quick! Hide!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Be well.
Come back soon!
Nooo! Enjoy your break. Be well . See you soon!
Enjoy your time offline!
Why do some of the comments make it seem like we need to throw Goro a farewell party? He says he's gonna be gone for a while and I think he's taking a little break but then I scroll down and some of the comments are like:
@gorowannabe time to step up and claim your prize
I am sad that my mentor here is taking a break. But I will do my best to parrot GORO's spirit and wisdom.@gorowannabe time to step up and claim your prize
freelancePsychic
Full Member
Wouldn't have gotten in without your advice, @Goro. Hope to see you here again someday.
F
Who else will tell 3.7/515 applicants to apply DO now?
The bigger question is what is a genuine 3.7/515 applicant doing on SDN in the first place?
The bigger question is what is a genuine 3.7/515 applicant doing on SDN in the first place?
Trying to get into med school
9
907914
Because good information is useful whoever you are and pre-meds are more than just numbers?The bigger question is what is a genuine 3.7/515 applicant doing on SDN in the first place?
Because good information is useful whoever you are and pre-meds are more than just numbers?
If you think a REAL 3.7 / 515 applicant is perusing SDN for anything other than humor, then you or anybody else for that matter don't understand the application cycle.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you serious right now? Even people with insane stats come here for advice.If you think a REAL 3.7 / 515 applicant is perusing SDN for anything other than humor, then you or anybody else for that matter don't understand the application cycle.
If you think a REAL 3.7 / 515 applicant is perusing SDN for anything other than humor, then you or anybody else for that matter don't understand the application cycle.
15% chance of rejection is significant
If you think a REAL 3.7 / 515 applicant is perusing SDN for anything other than humor, then you or anybody else for that matter don't understand the application cycle.
I had 3.7+ / 515+ and I come here for advice.
If you think a REAL 3.7 / 515 applicant is perusing SDN for anything other than humor, then you or anybody else for that matter don't understand the application cycle.
My PI had a 100th percentile MCAT and was perusing SDN for info. I have a friend who is a current MS3 at a top med school who had a 519 and a 4.0 who was on SDN for advice. I also know someone at my school with a 4.0 and a 515 who got exactly zero invites this cycle.
Entrance is about more than stats and sadly most pre-health professions committee's don't equip their students with 100% of the tools they need to be the best applicant they can be. Even if all of the pre-health committees did everything right, the best they can do is guess at what adcom members are actually looking for, whereas many of our posters currently or previously served on them. That insight alone is worth the price of admission 😀
My PI had a 100th percentile MCAT and was perusing SDN for info. I have a friend who is a current MS3 at a top med school who had a 519 and a 4.0 who was on SDN for advice. I also know someone at my school with a 4.0 and a 515 who got exactly zero invites this cycle.
Entrance is about more than stats and sadly most pre-health professions committee's don't equip their students with 100% of the tools they need to be the best applicant they can be. Even if all of the pre-health committees did everything right, the best they can do is guess at what adcom members are actually looking for, whereas many of our posters currently or previously served on them. That insight alone is worth the price of admission 😀
If this person you knew with a 4.0 and a 515 did not get even one invite then that means 1. There is something hiding in their app that you are unaware about that is keeping them out of medical school or 2. This person does not know how to apply to medical school and needs to shell out some serious money for a consulting service that will hold their hand through the process and show them how it's done.
@Goro does give sound advice but some people here do not and will not listen to that advice or lack the maturity to understand the reasoning for the advice in the first place. As a medical student, it is very easy to read some of these threads and figure out who is serious about getting in and who is wasting their time. There are A LOT of people on this site that are kidding themselves if they think they are becoming doctors via the stateside route.
I had significantly lower stats than a 4.0 and a 515 and I easily got in in one cycle. My message has always been that the process is about numbers and then secondly a genuine desire to become a doctor. SDN cannot help you with either of those criteria. What I hope this site can do, is crack some sense into some otherwise naive candidates who do have the potential but are lacking in their thought process.
9
907914
To the first bold portion: This is exactly why it is imperative for Pre-Med students to get as many opinions and as much feedback on their application as they can . A student cannot know what is wrong with their application if they do not reach out for help with the process. Thus, even for the high stats students, people come to SDN for advise on their application, essays and just questions in general. If a student has a red flag in their application they are unaware of, having others review their application can bring to light these red flags. If a student does not know how to apply to medical school, well SDN acts as a community of literally thousands of people who have gone through the process and can provide guidance; no need to spend money on something that SDN can serve the purpose of.If this person you knew with a 4.0 and a 515 did not get even one invite then that means 1. There is something hiding in their app that you are unaware about that is keeping them out of medical school or 2. This person does not know how to apply to medical school and needs to shell out some serious money for a consulting service that will hold their hand through the process and show them how it's done.
@Goro does give sound advice but some people here do not and will not listen to that advice or lack the maturity to understand the reasoning for the advice in the first place. As a medical student, it is very easy to read some of these threads and figure out who is serious about getting in and who is wasting their time. There are A LOT of people on this site that are kidding themselves if they think they are becoming doctors via the stateside route.
I had significantly lower stats than a 4.0 and a 515 and I easily got in in one cycle. My message has always been that the process is about numbers and then secondly a genuine desire to become a doctor. SDN cannot help you with either of those criteria. What I hope this site can do, is crack some sense into some otherwise naive candidates who do have the potential but are lacking in their thought process.
To the second bold portion: As a medical student you can easily see which students need help. Hence, why they come here....because they don't necessarily know what help they need and the medical students and staff do know. Since medicine is inherently a profession of both learning and teaching, if you have the time to peruse the pre-med forums as a medical student then you can also help the poor lost souls.
For the love of God, please don’t make me close this thread. Drop the ridiculous argument about who is or isn’t cruising SDN.
9
907914
What if Goro is really just leaving to go cheat on us with r/premed? 
(Or does it not count as cheating because we’re “on a break”
)

(Or does it not count as cheating because we’re “on a break”
)I'm taking a break from SDN... y'all behave, OK.
Enjoy the break and thank you for the time you took to personally help me out. Be well!
What if Goro is really just leaving to go cheat on us with r/premed?
(Or does it not count as cheating because we’re “on a break”)
Are you Ross from friends 😱? I thought you were satisfied with being a dinosaur doctor, didn't realize you were trying to become a medical doctor as well.
9
907914
This is like the 6th friends reference in 2 days I have seen on this Forum. I feel like we are finally at a point where >90% of Premeds were born after Friends started and thus grew up with it.What if Goro is really just leaving to go cheat on us with r/premed?
(Or does it not count as cheating because we’re “on a break”)
This is like the 6th friends reference in 2 days I have seen on this Forum. I feel like we are finally at a point where >90% of Premeds were born after Friends started and thus grew up with it.
There’s only a handful of Med students in my class who remember 9/11.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Mike Bagwell Mind sharing your stats? Significantly lower than a 4.0 and a 515? How significant? Please tell me you're not one of those that say a 3.8 is significantly lower -_-
9
907914
In my research lab I proctor for a partnership with the local high school. Boy, when they told me 2003 and 2004 DOB....There’s only a handful of Med students in my class who remember 9/11.
R
RTC19
There’s only a handful of Med students in my class who remember 9/11.
Wow! Where has the time gone?
@Mike Bagwell Mind sharing your stats? Significantly lower than a 4.0 and a 515? How significant? Please tell me you're not one of those that say a 3.8 is significantly lower -_-
As I've stated before, I have a 512. I don't have anywhere near a 4.0 but I am above a 3.5. From what I observed during my app cycle, I don't believe people will have much success with allopathic programs if they are bringing mediocre stats to the table and think that other aspects of their application will get them in. I even advocate to limit EC's and spend more time on MCAT prep. It is my belief that I got in because of my MCAT and the consistency of my GPA. If the MCAT was lower, my GPA would not have saved me by itself though even though it did demonstrate academic excellence over my four years of undergrad work.
I don't believe greater than 90% of the pre-meds that post on this forum are who they say they are or have the stats that they say they do. If I could get a message across to those few people that peruse the boards who do have the stats to get in but don't believe they will get in, then I think my effort was for a good cause.
Even I was told with my stats that getting in would be "hard" but when you go through the process yourself you'll see who knows what they are talking about and who has been spending too much time on SDN.
I don't believe getting into medical school is "hard." I do believe that it is a process with checkpoints. If you can't clear those checkpoints, then you just won't get in no matter how much you think you will make a great doctor.
@Goro has good advice. I suggest you guys take notes and then put together an application with that advice as your foundation.
The rest of the pre-med forum is for humor.
Hope to see you back soon Goro!