Breaking Match contract/Covid-19?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted721052

I know the whole covid-19 situation is still pretty up in the air as no one knows how long it will last and how it will impact the next few months.

However, i'm still trying to calm my nerve.
Short bio: Canadian D4 about to start a AEGD with NYU.

With everything going on, what happens if a student can't meet residency admission requirement on time?
Or if Canadian vs American government don't have the same recommendation in a few month and I don't feel safe moving abroad and I end up breaking my match contract?

I will be devastated to not start my residency but the possibility of being ban from match/ADA forever or having heavy consequence is far worst. Especially since i might be looking at a (non-matching) specialty in the long run.
i know i'm not the only one in this situation but i'm still curious at what might happens, to help me prepare as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

One day at a time... that's all any of us can do. I think dental schools will have to make some sort of allowances for graduating D4s regarding procedure requirements, maybe that means typodont, staying into June, etc. All that said, you made the commitment, you'll likely need to fulfill that commitment or face the repercussions of breaking match.

One day at a time... that's all any of us can do. I think dental schools will have to make some sort of allowances for graduating D4s regarding procedure requirements, maybe that means typodont, staying into June, etc. All that said, you made the commitment, you'll likely need to fulfill that commitment or face the repercussions of breaking match.

what are the consequences tho?
obviously i’m ready to face any consequences if my health a factor to consider but i know very little about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be easy for schools to make accommodations regarding graduation requirements. How about licensure boards such as WREB or CDCA? Do you think if they will eliminate live patient exams and employ typodont exams instead?

First of all: Congrats on matching!
2) One day at a time, homie. Lets see what the program says first
3) You made a legal obligation to attend the program. That being said, wait and see is our best bet.