***Official OMS 2026 Match RESULTS***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thomass

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you'd like to post after the match:

Program Matched:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
CBSE score:
Class Ranking/Size:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:
 
Program Matched: Midwest dual degree
Dental School Attended: West coast private
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): No
CBSE score: High 80s
Class Ranking/Size: Top 5%
Externship(s)/where: 6 all over (mix of 4 years and 6 years)
Research: Unpublished implant project
Extracurriculars: Tutoring, OMS club leadership/mentor, OMS clinic over break, volunteer, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 23/15/13/13

Couldn't have done it without this website and all of you guys. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
 
Program Matched: 4 yr west coast
Dental School Attended: east coast private
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE score: 76
Class Ranking/Size: 45/100
Externship(s)/where: 4, all over east coast
Research: bunch of random stuff, orofacial pain, OMFS presentations
Extracurriculars: tutoring, teaching assistant, fluff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 26/12/11/10, matched at #1

For all of those with a mediocre class rank, just know its more than possible. Got interviews at programs I never would’ve dreamed of. I know how much this website helped me, happy to chat with anyone.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Program Matched: Northeast 4 year
Dental School Attended: Southern Public Dental school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): No
CBSE score: 72
Class Ranking/Size: 11-15/106 depending on the semester
Externship(s)/where: 6 total, all over the country, 5/6 were either 4 year only or programs that offer both tracks. I did not extern at the program I matched to.
Research: 5 publications total, one of them in JOMS. A couple of poster and oral presentations at AADOCR as well.
Extracurriculars: President of OMFS interest club, certified spanish medical interpreter, fluff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 28/17/12/12, matched at my #1

I went into DS planning on OMFS. I set the goal of being ranked in the top 10 because I thought it would make me a more competitive applicant. As you can see above, I never achieved this goal, and in pursuit of it, I was frequently very hard on myself. If I could go back and tell my younger self one thing (and the same advice goes for anyone reading this who plans to apply in the future), it would be to sweat the little things less. A failed competency or a test that doesn't go your way is not worth losing sleep over. It will all work out in the end, and honestly, most programs don't care that much about your rank anyway, especially if your CBSE score is solid.
 
Program Matched: Southern 6 year
Dental School Attended: midwest public
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): No
CBSE score: 61 (before you say anything, i know. i'm just as shocked as you are)
Class Ranking/Size: Top 15%
Externship(s)/where: 4, mix of 4 and 6 year programs in south and east coast at pretty big name programs (consistently got brought up at interviews)
Research: Several publications, several presentations (nationally and school). One eye catching project that garnered national media attention.
Extracurriculars: A lot. Most notably, started a club at my dental school that also received media attention for its outreach, a lot of service based groups, worked for an oral surgeon, apparently 5 good LORs (got complimented at every single interview on them (5 different from PI, private practice OS, 2 academic OS, 1 clinic director)), semi-memorable background story that i believe helped a lot
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 35/10/10/10, matched at dream program

I had a terrible undergrad GPA, bad CBSE, had to do a post-bacc to get into dental school, and still matched straight out to my dream program. If I can do it, truly anyone can. Keep your head down and work as hard as you can. Be humble, be a good person, and enjoy the journey. Apply broadly and truly anything can happen.
 
Program Matched: West Coast, 4 year
Dental School Attended: West Coast, public
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
2026
International Student (yes/no):
no
CBSE score:
66 EPC
Class Ranking/Size:
n/a
Externship(s)/where:
5, mix of west coast, east coast, south, midwest. Big name programs, all 4 years. Was brought up once or twice that my choice of locations was varied, helped make the case that I was willing to leave the West coast.
Research:
n/a
Extracurriculars:
Student body president, class vice president, president of OS study club, a bunch of other random stuff like ASDA, community service and outreach clubs. Definitely don't need to do as many ec's as I did to get interviews. I just did them bc I genuinely liked all the things I was involved in. I rarely got asked specifically about any of my EC's, usually mentioned them in answering questions like "What makes you stand out" or "what did you do outside of studying", etc.
LORs: I had 5 LOR's.2 were from full-time academics (Chair, PD at my school), a part-time faculty OS mentor, private practice OS, and a non-OMFS faculty that I became close through extracurriculars. I've heard mixed things about whether programs even look at non-OMFS letters, so I would only get one non-OS letter max, and I got one from said faculty because they knew me very well, and they are the chair of diagnostic and surgical sciences at my school, so I was hoping that might increase the chances of it being looked at. That being said, only the OS faculty LOR's were brought up during interviews.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:
44/9/9/9. Matched top 5.

I'm guilty of being a big lurker on this site. This site has given me priceless advice for both dental and OMFS matters, and I thought I'd post for the first time to finally contribute something. Gonna drop someone random points that I hope y'all find helpful!

Got it done ofc, but ration of applied programs:interview wasnt great, things that I think probably contributed to that are: just okayish CBSE score, lots of very good applicants from my school this year making it hard to stand out (especially since my school doesn't have GPA or rank), could've done better on some of my externships (I was too timid and nervous during them, flopped on some pimping questions).

CBSE: definitely the bane of all pre-OMFS, studied for this and took it more than once. Really just a huge grind that consumes your life, and is all about endurance, being adaptable in how you study/manage time, and dedication. Take with grain of salt, but on the trail it seemed that the general consensus is that for 4 years shoot for above 65, and 70 for 6 years. There are definitely people I know matching below those reccomendations though, so it can be made up for if the rest of your app is strong.

In terms of importance of application components the consensus I found on the trail was CBSE>gPA/rank(if applicable)>LOR>externship>CV/ec's

Definitely a crazy process full of insane highs and lows. Don't forget to smell the roses from time to time! I wasn't by any means the smartest or most talented person in my class or on the trail, but got it done with a combo of hard work, luck, and having help from y'all and other amazing mentors and friends. If I can do it, anyone can. If I give any wrong/controversial info above, someone please correct me, don't wanna be feeding false info. More than happy to answer an PM's /questions from anyone, happy to help!
 
Program Matched: Southern 6 Year
Dental School Attended: Western Private
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
2026
International Student (yes/no):
No
CBSE score:
79
Class Ranking/Size:
N/A
Externship(s)/where:
7, all 6 years throughout the Midwest and South
Research:
None
Extracurriculars:
OS club involvement, National leadership positions, Major Service Projects, School given merit based award, and a job worked several nights a week throughout dental school.

Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:
27/22/13/13

Externing and networking with current residents was the best way I found to be seriously considered within a program. Interviews are about finding the best fit between yourself, scope, attendings, residents, and location in whatever order you prioritize those factors. Best of luck to everyone starting their training, and to all the future applicants hoping to join the best field in dentistry and medicine.
 
Program Matched: Midwest 4 yr
Dental School Attended: Midwest dental school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE score: 75 EPC
Class Ranking/Size: Top 15%
Externship(s)/where: 8, all across the country
Research: None
Extracurriculars: Some volunteering, that's it
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 52/20/13/11

As others have said, if I can do it, you can too. Truly. I knew I wanted a 4-year program, but I also knew it was getting harder and harder to match into 4-year programs straight out of school. Everybody's application is strong, you have to find a way to stand out. For me, it was my CBSE score and my externships (both the number of externships and the specific places I went to). My application had zero research, zero leadership, and minimal volunteering. Despite this, Interviewers would constantly tell me that I had a "strong" application. This leads me to believe that the CBSE score is by far the most important thing.

Extern where you want to match. Get in as many as you can. I externed on all my breaks and didn't go home for all of third year. I knew I was gonna apply super broadly, so I tried to spread the externships out geographically so PD's would take me seriously when I applied to their program that was on the other side of the country. For the most part, programs will give you an interview if you extern, so it's also a good way to increase your overall chances of matching. I externed at the program I matched at, but I honestly don't think I would have gotten an interview based on my resume alone had I not externed there.

My dental school doesn't have an OMFS residency, so all my rec letters came from private-practice OMFSs. OMFS is a small community, and everybody knows everybody. It's been said on here before, but the person writing your letter arguably matters more than what it says. Multiple interviewers referenced my letter writers, and it seemed to help me get a foot in the door at programs where I had not externed.

I truly wouldn't be here without everything I have learned from SDN, so if I can help anybody in any way, feel free to reach out at anytime!
 
Last edited:
Program Matched: 4-year southern
Dental School Attended: private midwest school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE score: 52
Class Ranking/Size: 30/60
Externship(s)/where: 4 to the south (two 4-year and two 6-year)
Research: One presentation
Extracurriculars: Tutor, OMS club, YouTube channel, 3D printing
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 40/4/4/4

Matched to my #1 school, which was my dream school, despite a poor CBSE and a poor class rank. I had good letters of recommendation and I interviewed well, and they must have liked me!

Most important things I would say are externships and networking. I got along great with the residents at my #1 during my externship and stayed in contact with them afterwards and through the interviews. I also applied super broadly knowing that the more schools I sent my application to, the more schools I would get an interview at. I literally spent $8500 on application fees, but it paid off!

All in all, I feel like networking and getting along with residents and faculty are more important than ranks and grades.
 
Last edited:
Program Matched: 4-yr
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): Yes
CBSE score: 75
Class Ranking/Size: 1/48
Externship(s)/where:
Two, neither at matched program.
Research: Two publications, four projects, none directly OMFS related.
Extracurriculars: University sports + various fluff.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 6/2/2/2 - Matched at #1.

It's not how you drive, it's how you arrive.
 
Program Matched: Midwest 4 yr
Dental School Attended: West private
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
2026
International Student (yes/no):
No
CBSE score:
69 EPC
Class Ranking/Size:
N/A
Externship(s)/where:
5 all 4yr programs
Research:
1 small project
Extracurriculars:
OS Club president
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:
26/9/9/9

If this is what you want, commit to it and you'll get there!
 
Program Matched: Southeast 4 year
Dental School Attended: midwest state school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
CBSE score: 73
Class Ranking/Size: 11/109
Externship(s)/where: 6 across the country, not including 2 post-interview second-looks including program where I matched (I did not previously extern there.)
Research: None beyond poster presentation required for graduation.
Extracurriculars: A couple of leadership positions, nothing crazy. OS club president.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 34/~20/14/14

Make sure your academics show that you tried hard in school, get a decent CBSE, apply broadly, be nice, make your intentions of where you want to go known, cross your fingers.
 
Program Matched: Southeast 4 yr
Dental School Attended: Midwest, public
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): No
CBSE score: 69
Class Ranking/Size: 11/109
Externship(s)/where: 5 throughout midwest (four 4-year and one 6-year) (Not at matched program)
Research: Poster Presentation
Extracurriculars: Nothing crazy
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 47/26/15/15

Scores and numbers get the invites, but once you’re at the interview, they care far more about who you are as a person and if they want to spend the next 4-6 years with you. Can’t echo it enough: be kind, humble, and personable. Also, don't rank to match. Rank where you want to go, and let the match take you where you're meant to go.
 
Crazy that I'm on here writing one of these. Dreamed about becoming a surgeon since I was 16, and I finally made it.

Program Matched: Southern 6-year (my #1 choice)
Dental School Attended: Southern Public
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE score: 72; took it twice - one summer going into D3 and the other summer of D4, so during the application time (0/10 do not recommend take this BEFORE starting clinic/externing)
Class Ranking/Size: 45/84 (was VERY self-conscious about this)
Externship(s)/where: 5 all at 6-year programs (only wanted to match in the south or east coast, 3 in the south & 2 up north) - matched at a program I didn't extern at.
Research: 4 total projects, 2 published currently, 1 in the review process of publication, and another in the early stages; also, 1 research presentation. I'm the first author for 3 and the second author for 1

Extracurriculars: 3 leadership positions, went to the OR/student clinic a lot, lots of volunteering, H&N cancer meetings at my institution, also worked as a pharmacy tech (I know random lol), went to OS school meetings, but didn't have a position.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 29/24/15/11

The thing that I was most worried about when I was applying was my class rank. I felt like I read a lot on here/reddit that if I wasn't in the top 10%, I wouldn't get invites. Think this also affected my confidence as well. That being said, because my rank was VERY mid, tried to get as much clinical exposure as I could, attempted to compensate for it through my CBSE, strengthened the other aspects of my application, and just relationships with the attendings in the department so I'd get good LORs & they'd have good things to say about me when their buddies called. Made sure I read before going to the OR so I'd know the answers to stuff if I got pimped, haha, knew how to hand tie/suture well so I could help close to some degree, got good at retracting, and just overall etiquette so I wasn't a hindrance & was actually helpful as well. I'd come on my breaks or if I had a patient cancel to show my dedication. They'd also let me do minor things sometimes since I went pretty often (drill the screw hole, use the bovie, feed the wire when doing arch bars, etc.) Got to the point where the nurses and PAs knew me by name. I knew if i wanted a chance at matching first time, I needed to be known, and wanted people to view me as so dedicated/knowledgeable/helpful, that they didn't think twice about my rank and wanted me despite that. Also was cool with my pre-clinical OS faculty, so he'd let me do whatever I was comfortable with (tori removal & wisdom teeth extractions, for example) in our student clinic. My rank actually only came up twice out of probably ~50ish individual interview sessions over 15 schools, which I was very surprised about. I think because I had soooo much clinical exposure (through externships & from me just always going to the OR when I had free time), I had a VERY good personal statement that really talked about my experiences and my why. I also interview very well. I'm very personable/friendly and generally likeable, so I think this helped me a lot. Played to MY strengths as a person, and felt like 95% of my interviews went super well.

Also, I do NOT want to do research long-term. I only saw about 1-2 attendings in our pre-doc clinic; for all the others, I either had to make meetings with them or see them in the OR to build some sort of relationship with them. Used research as another way to build relationships with them outside of going to the OR.

Just wanted to write this to give others hope who are in the same boat as me in terms of rank or feeling like they aren't as competitive. Again, I didn't think I was the most competitive applicant at all, and felt very blessed that I had as much interest as I did. I also submitted a lot of my apps on 9/1 or 9/15 lol dont do that. Do as well as you can on the CBSE, and don't let your rank stop you from applying or make you think any less of yourself as an applicant.

Very new to SDN, so not sure how this works haha, but PM me if you need anything. Had some people who helped me on this journey, and others who I felt tried to isolate/discourage me. Just want to help others if I can!
 
Last edited:
Program Matched: 4-yr
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): Yes
CBSE score: 75
Class Ranking/Size: 1/48
Externship(s)/where:
Two, neither at matched program.
Research: Two publications, four projects, none directly OMFS related.
Extracurriculars: University sports + various fluff.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 6/2/2/2 - Matched at #1.

It's not how you drive, it's how you arrive.
Could I PM you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Program Matched: 4-yr
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): Yes
CBSE score: 75
Class Ranking/Size: 1/48
Externship(s)/where:
Two, neither at matched program.
Research: Two publications, four projects, none directly OMFS related.
Extracurriculars: University sports + various fluff.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 6/2/2/2 - Matched at #1.

It's not how you drive, it's how you arrive.
Are you a US or Canadian citizen ?
 
can
Program Matched: 4-yr
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): Yes
CBSE score: 75
Class Ranking/Size: 1/48
Externship(s)/where:
Two, neither at matched program.
Research: Two publications, four projects, none directly OMFS related.
Extracurriculars: University sports + various fluff.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 6/2/2/2 - Matched at #1.

It's not how you drive, it's how you arrive.
can I pm you too
 
Program Matched: NE 6-year
Dental School Attended: NE private
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): Yes (Canadian citizen)
CBSE score: 77
EPC
Class Ranking/Size: N/A
Externship(s)/where: 6 all over NE, midwest, south
Research:
Oral Cancer
Extracurriculars: OS Club involvement
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 16/10/7/7
 
Program Matched: NE 6-year
Dental School Attended: NE private
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): Yes (Canadian citizen)
CBSE score: 77
EPC
Class Ranking/Size: N/A
Externship(s)/where: 6 all over NE, midwest, south
Research:
Oral Cancer
Extracurriculars: OS Club involvement
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 16/10/7/7
Can I dm you brotha
 
Program Matched: West coast 6 year
Dental School Attended: West coast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE score: 69 EPC
Class Ranking/Size: Top 15%
Externship(s)/where: 3, one at matched program
Research: Minimal and some typical fluff presentations
Extracurriculars: One leadership role, various clubs, various volunteer roles, tutoring
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 37/26/14/14

Matched at my first choice. Apply broadly, extern where you want to go, be nice to everyone you meet, and do your best to enjoy the time away from dental school in new cities. Know your application well, I was asked about my "fluff" presentations at multiple interviews, some in decently deep detail.
 
Program Matched: South 6-year
Dental School Attended: East Coast, Mid-Atlantic, Public
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE score: 65
Class Ranking/Size: Bottom 1/3
Externship(s)/where: 6, first one at matched program
Research: a lot... PhD in Biomedical Engineering, MS in Healthcare Delivery Science
Extracurriculars: National leadership roles, Vice President of dental school class, start-up consulting, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 7 / 5 / 5 / 5

Moral of my story: There is more to your application than dental school grades + CBSE. Lean into what makes you unique (extra degrees, unique experiences, network...etc.). Externships are key - I externed where I matched between D1 / D2 year, stayed in touch with several residents + the program director, and now it feels surreal to have matched there. Best possible program for me. I believe relationships supersede any metrics in this process.. DM me if you ever want to connect, always here!
 
Program Matched: NE 6-year
Dental School Attended: NE private
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): Yes (Canadian citizen)
CBSE score: 77
EPC
Class Ranking/Size: N/A
Externship(s)/where: 6 all over NE, midwest, south
Research:
Oral Cancer
Extracurriculars: OS Club involvement
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 16/10/7/7
Can I dm you!
 
I want to be a light for any foreign trained dentist that wants to do OMFS. Foreign trained not from Canada, because Canada is different and IDK about that.
I feel naked posting this, but I see how people asked about this and I would like to give a perspective. This is MY journey and how I did it. There are other ways, look for mentors and create your own story.

Program Matched:
Midwest 6 year-Post matched.
Dental School Attended:
IDP West coast
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
2022
International Student (yes/no):
Yes, foreign trained then got my DDS via IDP, US citizen
CBSE score:
86
Class Ranking/Size:
8/28
Externship(s)/where:
At my home program and at Banner.
Research:
No
Extracurriculars:
OMFS honors student, OMFS interest group prez, and VP of IDP class.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:
34/20/12/12


1. Only program that I know is for "International Dentist" is the 4 year at case western- however, IDK details for that program because I have my DDS, and did not apply or was interested in that option. Do the research.

2. You have to have your DDS or DMD in the USA, be a US citizen (depending on program some take permanent residents but being us citizen is preferred, IDK how that works, BUSCALA), be able to communicate clearly and effectively at a scientific level in English, (IDK about TOFEL- Never had to take it cause I am fluent in english and born and raised in the USA and my HS diploma is american).

3. No, you can not just be foreign trained, do dental boards and do OMFS. NO, YOU CAN NOT. I see soooo many people asking this and NO. YOU HAVE TO DO IDP TO GET DDS OR DMD. YOU NEED TO BE FULLY LICENSED IN THE USofA. Not, a AGED where you get a masters or like in NY where people get into advance standing and can practice. DDS or DMD. It is not like ortho or other residencies, where people get in without a DDS or DMD. I don't make the rules, I had to follow them.

4. CBSE is important. I took the exam 4 times, I knew I needed an above average score.

5. You will not be eligible to apply to some 6 years, if you do not have an american or canadian undergrad degree. Yes you will have your DDS/DMD from a CODA accredited school but since you have a BDS, that door will be closed because the med school has requirements. I tried and called and cried and begged and they were like you can go back to undergrad get the reqs if you really want to come here. So just look up each program and don't apply blindly to programs like me, to find out you were never eligible, gave 300 dollars for NOTHING. That could have been a plane ticket. Sucks to suck, but that is how you learn.

6. When in IDP get super involved in anything and everything OMFS. Study for CBSE. Get externships do what the "nationals" are doing, be in leadership.

My timeline: Graduated IDP 2022, Took a gap year 2023, Non cat 2024, studied for CBSE 2025, worked in at a community clinic and did extractions 2026. Technically 3 gap years.

If I could go back what would I do differently?
-CBSE: Less content and more questions, this was my biggest discouragement because I felt i was in purgatory. I had extracurriculars and a non cat but a 43 on CBSE. I wish I had figured out CBSE first then done a non cat. I did it backwards. I think that was one of the many reasons why I post matched vs matched. IDP is a lot, time for studying was hard, the nationals have time off or free time and you are in clinic catching up on CODA hours, still not an excuse, I played my own tiniest violin. I know of other IDP that did CBSE well and have matched at 4 year programs. It is possible.
I feel like every IDP story is different, this one is MINE. Make your own.

- Networking: I wish I had cultivated connections or done more to get my name out there. I felt intimidated/ insecure as I had nothing to stand on until I did well on CBSE. By the time I got my 86 I felt totally disconnected to the OMFS world. Keep your nose in the OMFS world if you take a gap year. I stupidly internalize IDP was never gonna make it, because that is what soooo many people told me. Good luck getting in OMFS being IDP. They dont want IDP. I get it, IDP has a vibe. Thank you God, I am here. I hope to see more IDP.

-Letters of Rec: I think my letter of recs were amazing, at some interviews you get to see your letters of rec and I was shocked and proud of the people that wrote them for me. I shed a tear or two from feeling humbled and it feels nice to see your mentors recommend you. I do think or wish I had created connections to have "Stronger" letters of rec from the OMFS world. I didn't know how to do that, with only 2 externship and a low CBSE score. So first thing make sure you have a competitive CBSE, be shameless and create connections and get them to write letters of rec. If they know the person or have worked with the person that wrote you the letter, you create security of your reputation. Also, make sure that letter is not just your CV but they can tell a story of your work. I only had 2 that spoke more of my work and character (1 omfs 1 perio), the other 2 were my CV in letter of rec format from OMFS.

-Externships: Do as many as you can. I know IDP is busy. If you decide to focus on OMFS post IDP. During one of my gap years, in retrospect, I should have externed. That creates connections, programs get to know you. Even if the website says D3/D4 call and ask, most likely they will say yes. This honestly was something I should have invested in.

-Gap years: I got asked alot about this on interviews... I needed to figure it out and that took time. I wish I had a better answer, I was honest. I was burnt out from my idp journey of doing dental school in mexico then I went straight into IDP, so it was 10 years straight of dental school, you know the grind of dental boards then bench test and all that jazz. I needed a year to live life and became me, outside of academics. Yeah, I know that was not the game to play during interviews. I am me, you like it or not...I post matched lol. I knew doing a non cat again and cbse was not gonna help me because I needed a high CBSE score. I took a year off. Did they like that I had gap years and was currently not in a non cat while on interviews, obviously not. I needed to pay bills and work, so I intentionally sought out a job where I could do extraction and surgical procedure that I felt confident in, that I learned during my non cat experience. I verbalized that on interviews. In those gap years, I grew and matured and honestly, I am thankful to start this journey at my prime age of 31. I am have confidence in my work, established financial stability, know my limits, got rid of the broke toxic boiz, learned how to have a healthy balanced life, grew independently and learned a lot about myself- so maturity. Everything happens at its own time. Just don't give up! Please keep going and do not let go if you know this is your purpose in life. You will get there.

Why did I post match with an 86?
I do not know, maybe I am the classic "Has a high CBSE but ****ty personality" Literally was told: "You did not match with an 86? You must have an attitude problem" "Oh you seem normal, weird that you post matched".... Um oKaY?
What I do know: I am happy where I post matched. I did get invited by this program but could not attend due to having other interviews. If you work hard, don't give up, life will place you where you need to be. I am from the southwest and it turns out that I have a community in the midwest from my university in Mexico, I originally trained at, who are in healthcare at the neighboring hospitals, there is a big community and hospital/ healthcare system of the worldview/religion I grew up in, friends of family that are in this city, that my mom was like x people are there. I am not alone. Community and connections are what add the extra sun in your gloomy day. I am beyond thankful to be where I am at. As of now, I have not even started the program but the genuine kindness and warmth from the upper residents and faculty to me has been amazing and comforting, I genuinely believe this program is the healthiest program for me and I will be able to continue to grow and be forged into the surgeon I aspire to be. It will be hard work, there will be challenges, it will be residency! Life has a beautiful way of working its self out.

Hope this helps anyone out there!
Si se puede cabrones!
 
I want to be a light for any foreign trained dentist that wants to do OMFS. Foreign trained not from Canada, because Canada is different and IDK about that.
I feel naked posting this, but I see how people asked about this and I would like to give a perspective. This is MY journey and how I did it. There are other ways, look for mentors and create your own story.

Program Matched: Midwest 6 year-Post matched.
Dental School Attended: IDP West coast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022
International Student (yes/no): Yes, foreign trained then got my DDS via IDP, US citizen
CBSE score: 86
Class Ranking/Size: 8/28
Externship(s)/where: At my home program and at Banner.
Research: No
Extracurriculars: OMFS honors student, OMFS interest group prez, and VP of IDP class.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 34/20/12/12


1. Only program that I know is for "International Dentist" is the 4 year at case western- however, IDK details for that program because I have my DDS, and did not apply or was interested in that option. Do the research.

2. You have to have your DDS or DMD in the USA, be a US citizen (depending on program some take permanent residents but being us citizen is preferred, IDK how that works, BUSCALA), be able to communicate clearly and effectively at a scientific level in English, (IDK about TOFEL- Never had to take it cause I am fluent in english and born and raised in the USA and my HS diploma is american).

3. No, you can not just be foreign trained, do dental boards and do OMFS. NO, YOU CAN NOT. I see soooo many people asking this and NO. YOU HAVE TO DO IDP TO GET DDS OR DMD. YOU NEED TO BE FULLY LICENSED IN THE USofA. Not, a AGED where you get a masters or like in NY where people get into advance standing and can practice. DDS or DMD. It is not like ortho or other residencies, where people get in without a DDS or DMD. I don't make the rules, I had to follow them.

4. CBSE is important. I took the exam 4 times, I knew I needed an above average score.

5. You will not be eligible to apply to some 6 years, if you do not have an american or canadian undergrad degree. Yes you will have your DDS/DMD from a CODA accredited school but since you have a BDS, that door will be closed because the med school has requirements. I tried and called and cried and begged and they were like you can go back to undergrad get the reqs if you really want to come here. So just look up each program and don't apply blindly to programs like me, to find out you were never eligible, gave 300 dollars for NOTHING. That could have been a plane ticket. Sucks to suck, but that is how you learn.

6. When in IDP get super involved in anything and everything OMFS. Study for CBSE. Get externships do what the "nationals" are doing, be in leadership.

My timeline: Graduated IDP 2022, Took a gap year 2023, Non cat 2024, studied for CBSE 2025, worked in at a community clinic and did extractions 2026. Technically 3 gap years.

If I could go back what would I do differently?
-CBSE: Less content and more questions, this was my biggest discouragement because I felt i was in purgatory. I had extracurriculars and a non cat but a 43 on CBSE. I wish I had figured out CBSE first then done a non cat. I did it backwards. I think that was one of the many reasons why I post matched vs matched. IDP is a lot, time for studying was hard, the nationals have time off or free time and you are in clinic catching up on CODA hours, still not an excuse, I played my own tiniest violin. I know of other IDP that did CBSE well and have matched at 4 year programs. It is possible.
I feel like every IDP story is different, this one is MINE. Make your own.

- Networking: I wish I had cultivated connections or done more to get my name out there. I felt intimidated/ insecure as I had nothing to stand on until I did well on CBSE. By the time I got my 86 I felt totally disconnected to the OMFS world. Keep your nose in the OMFS world if you take a gap year. I stupidly internalize IDP was never gonna make it, because that is what soooo many people told me. Good luck getting in OMFS being IDP. They dont want IDP. I get it, IDP has a vibe. Thank you God, I am here. I hope to see more IDP.

-Letters of Rec: I think my letter of recs were amazing, at some interviews you get to see your letters of rec and I was shocked and proud of the people that wrote them for me. I shed a tear or two from feeling humbled and it feels nice to see your mentors recommend you. I do think or wish I had created connections to have "Stronger" letters of rec from the OMFS world. I didn't know how to do that, with only 2 externship and a low CBSE score. So first thing make sure you have a competitive CBSE, be shameless and create connections and get them to write letters of rec. If they know the person or have worked with the person that wrote you the letter, you create security of your reputation. Also, make sure that letter is not just your CV but they can tell a story of your work. I only had 2 that spoke more of my work and character (1 omfs 1 perio), the other 2 were my CV in letter of rec format from OMFS.

-Externships: Do as many as you can. I know IDP is busy. If you decide to focus on OMFS post IDP. During one of my gap years, in retrospect, I should have externed. That creates connections, programs get to know you. Even if the website says D3/D4 call and ask, most likely they will say yes. This honestly was something I should have invested in.

-Gap years: I got asked alot about this on interviews... I needed to figure it out and that took time. I wish I had a better answer, I was honest. I was burnt out from my idp journey of doing dental school in mexico then I went straight into IDP, so it was 10 years straight of dental school, you know the grind of dental boards then bench test and all that jazz. I needed a year to live life and became me, outside of academics. Yeah, I know that was not the game to play during interviews. I am me, you like it or not...I post matched lol. I knew doing a non cat again and cbse was not gonna help me because I needed a high CBSE score. I took a year off. Did they like that I had gap years and was currently not in a non cat while on interviews, obviously not. I needed to pay bills and work, so I intentionally sought out a job where I could do extraction and surgical procedure that I felt confident in, that I learned during my non cat experience. I verbalized that on interviews. In those gap years, I grew and matured and honestly, I am thankful to start this journey at my prime age of 31. I am have confidence in my work, established financial stability, know my limits, got rid of the broke toxic boiz, learned how to have a healthy balanced life, grew independently and learned a lot about myself- so maturity. Everything happens at its own time. Just don't give up! Please keep going and do not let go if you know this is your purpose in life. You will get there.

Why did I post match with an 86?
I do not know, maybe I am the classic "Has a high CBSE but ****ty personality" Literally was told: "You did not match with an 86? You must have an attitude problem" "Oh you seem normal, weird that you post matched".... Um oKaY?
What I do know: I am happy where I post matched. I did get invited by this program but could not attend due to having other interviews. If you work hard, don't give up, life will place you where you need to be. I am from the southwest and it turns out that I have a community in the midwest from my university in Mexico, I originally trained at, who are in healthcare at the neighboring hospitals, there is a big community and hospital/ healthcare system of the worldview/religion I grew up in, friends of family that are in this city, that my mom was like x people are there. I am not alone. Community and connections are what add the extra sun in your gloomy day. I am beyond thankful to be where I am at. As of now, I have not even started the program but the genuine kindness and warmth from the upper residents and faculty to me has been amazing and comforting, I genuinely believe this program is the healthiest program for me and I will be able to continue to grow and be forged into the surgeon I aspire to be. It will be hard work, there will be challenges, it will be residency! Life has a beautiful way of working its self out.

Hope this helps anyone out there!
Si se puede cabrones
Thank you for the post. As an IDP also, it really answered a lot of questions that I couldn't help to re-making sure - mainly the probability of getting into somewhere as IDP - every few days while grinding CBSE. All the best with your journey!
 
Program Matched: 4-year southern
Dental School Attended: private midwest school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE score: 52
Class Ranking/Size: 30/60
Externship(s)/where: 4 to the south (two 4-year and two 6-year)
Research: One presentation
Extracurriculars: Tutor, OMS club, YouTube channel, 3D printing
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 40/4/4/4

Matched to my #1 school, which was my dream school, despite a poor CBSE and a poor class rank. I had good letters of recommendation and I interviewed well, and they must have liked me!

Most important things I would say are externships and networking. I got along great with the residents at my #1 during my externship and stayed in contact with them afterwards and through the interviews. I also applied super broadly knowing that the more schools I sent my application to, the more schools I would get an interview at. I literally spent $8500 on application fees, but it paid off!

All in all, I feel like networking and getting along with residents and faculty are more important than ranks and grades.
can I pm you?