Breaking News! Emergency Medcine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I definitely have a soft spot for volvos, especially post 2015 when they came out with their new infotainment system and redesigned interior. If I were to splurge on a car, it would be the xc90 or the s90.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I still drive the same car from medical school. I view my 30s as becoming FI. So glad I am with everything changing for the worse.

If you are not into expensive things, you should be FI earlier than that. I assuming you are an EP doc who completed residency in your early 30s and make 350k+/yr.
Most of those assumptions are correct. I live in a relatively high COL area though, and had my first kid in residency. Now have 3 and wife has stayed home since #1. Earnings for my first 10 yrs out were close to average for an EP. With all of that, it was hard to put away more than $60- $80K/yr while living a modest, though not wanting, lifestyle. I’m now well north of average income from a business that is doing well and kicking savings into overdrive while maintaining same standard of living. But, my FIRE number is $10MM, so I’m shooting for 50.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely have a soft spot for volvos, especially post 2015 when they came out with their new infotainment system and redesigned interior. If I were to splurge on a car, it would be the xc90 or the s90.
My wife had an xc90 for years. It was great. Could see myself buying another.

Over the years I've tended to be reasonably modest with cars, buying in the $30-$49K range. I've paid off and kept cars up to nearly a decade before. The M6 was an unplanned splurge when I happened to see one at a ridiculously low price, used in near mint condition, with only 6K miles on it. I enjoyed the hell out of that absolutely beautiful, 575 horsepower, elegant masterpiece for two years. But after selling it, I'm back to a more modest (though still very nice) sedan I bought used (still under warranty) that I could see myself paying off and driving for a good 8-10 years.

But I agree with @GeneralVeers, that there's a balance between planning for the future and living for the moment. I like to plan for the future, but I also like to enjoy life a little. I never want to be car- or house-poor, but if I buy a nice car that I enjoy driving, that I can afford, I'm going to do it.

The same goes with vacations. I could retire earlier if I didn't take them, and once they're done you can't get a penny of it back. But damnit, some things just make life worth living along the way. Great vacations are one of them.

I'll be able to retire some day. But I'd like to also be able to look back and say I had a good ride getting there. After all, I may not.

Like I said- to each their own. For me, a car gets me from point A to point B and nothing else. And, it is a depreciating asset. If I spent $100K on a car, any incremental pleasure derived from its creature comforts, status and performance (minimal in my case) would be far outweighed by regret and anger at myself over what that extra $75K spent will turn into in 20 years. Hoping to retire by 50 and not have to deal with medicine anymore, that angst is simply not worth it for me.

Cars do nothing for me. Some people are really into them. If one gets that much pleasure out of them, then have at it. But, it is certainly a good way to delay reaching ones retirement number.

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. Everyone spends their money on something, unless you have no hobbies besides saving money and investing.

For a lot of people a car can be a hobby or passion. Besides, it’s hard to beat the feeling of a six speed V8! (Or whatever engine size/gearbox one prefers)

I hate driving, and there are several hospitals in my system that are 20-30 minutes each way in traffic, plus a rural hospital an hour away.
My drive is honestly the most stressful part of my shift (yes more than actually working). Having a decent, comfortable care that's a bit fun takes away some of the pain and annoyance of driving.

Reactions: 3 users
I hate driving, and there are several hospitals in my system that are 20-30 minutes each way in traffic, plus a rural hospital an hour away.
My drive is honestly the most stressful part of my shift (yes more than actually working). Having a decent, comfortable care that's a bit fun takes away some of the pain and annoyance of driving.

Each to their own.

I spend about 3 weeks income on cars every 10 years because more expensive would give me no extra happiness.

But I spend like 40-50 k/yr on vacations cause the experience and memory of family vacations are worth it to me.

I could see dropping 100k on a car if it gave me that type of happiness along the way.

Reactions: 6 users
Each to their own.

I spend about 3 weeks income on cars every 10 years because more expensive would give me no extra happiness.

But I spend like 40-50 k/yr on vacations cause the experience and memory of family vacations are worth it to me.

I could see dropping 100k on a car if it gave me that type of happiness along the way.

I’m not really into cars, but I have a pipe dream of buying a ‘56 fairlane sunliner convertible in red and white and getting it all purty.

I have learned balance and just being happy.

Frugal through med school/residency and made the experience more miserable. Wished I took out 50K more loans and had some comforts of life.

Now I save some and spend the rest so I can enjoy life before I too old to enjoy it. House cleaner, Yard guy, Property managers, expensive gym membership, Tesla, Tesla truck when it comes out, Deposit for new Jet boat. Wife can go and spend as she wishes and do not even bat an eye.

We both are reasonable but never will I penny pinch again. Dave Ramsey be damn.

BTW I like driving and put about 25K/yr on my Tesla. Well worth it and its costs as much as a BMW.

Reactions: 2 users

Frugal through med school/residency and made the experience more miserable. Wished I took out 50K more loans and had some comforts of life.

Now I save some and spend the rest so I can enjoy life before I too old to enjoy it. House cleaner, Yard guy, Property managers, expensive gym membership, Tesla, Tesla truck when it comes out, Deposit for new Jet boat. Wife can go and spend as she wishes and do not even bat an eye.

BTW I like driving and put about 25K/yr on my Tesla. Well worth it and its costs as much as a BMW.
Easy to do when one is already FI

Last edited:

Samsies, we’re splurging on Chinese takeout tonight.

• Haha

Yes, you have to live a little along the way. I agree 100%. Combine living in the now, with planning for the future, for the best of both worlds. We can't go back to the past and we never reach the future. We are always in the now. So don't neglect it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easy to do when one is already FI
Not true. Bought a new BMW X5 my last month of residency and drove out of that hospital holding my head up high. Most people will think this is dumb but it was one of the greatest moments of my life. Walked into med school with nearly a dime to my name and never over $1000 in my bank account to walking out of the ER driving a 60K car. I can still feel what it was like walking out and still gets me emotional. Drove up to a sonic a week out of residency and the server said softly, "wish my parents would get me a nice car"...... I said, "I paid for it"

I save about 100K/yr and spend the rest. Make more spend more. I am not irresponsible and I don't stay up at night spending 60K on my wife's rolex that she prob wears 5 times a year.

You’re not being fair to Dave Ramsey. He’s not some minimalist FIRE type, he just doesn’t want people to spend money on things they don’t need with money they don’t have in the first place, that’s the audience he deals with - indebted broke people who spend 60k leasing a truck when they make 30k a year. Once you’ve made it financially, he says to live like no one else. I think that’s reasonable

Not true. Bought a new BMW X5 my last month of residency and drove out of that hospital holding my head up high. Most people will think this is dumb but it was one of the greatest moments of my life. Walked into med school with nearly a dime to my name and never over $1000 in my bank account to walking out of the ER driving a 60K car. I can still feel what it was like walking out and still gets me emotional. Drove up to a sonic a week out of residency and the server said softly, "wish my parents would get me a nice car"...... I said, "I paid for it"

I save about 100K/yr and spend the rest. Make more spend more. I am not irresponsible and I don't stay up at night spending 60K on my wife's rolex that she prob wears 5 times a year.
Strange way for that server to say you have a nice car. I feel bad for people who are not making decent wage. Before med school, my household income was 115-120k and I felt like I was living comfortably, and did not have to think about money. Then during med school and residency household income cut in half, and life has been completely different. It's amazing how much of a difference an extra 50k/yr (35-40k after taxes) can make 'lifestyle-wise'.

Last edited:
You’re not being fair to Dave Ramsey. He’s not some minimalist FIRE type, he just doesn’t want people to spend money on things they don’t need with money they don’t have in the first place, that’s the audience he deals with - indebted broke people who spend 60k leasing a truck when they make 30k a year. Once you’ve made it financially, he says to live like no one else. I think that’s reasonable
I get him, listen to him, and agree with the majority of his points. Its really just logical stuff that most people know but just have lack of self control. I mean if you have 100k debt, make 30k/yr, then its obvious you should not drive a 30k car.

What I disagree with is paying cash for everything and not having debt other than your home. I buy my rental properties with debt b/c its so cheap, almost free when pegged with inflation. Same with cars. I had a 300K job secured without kids/wife and used that job offer to get a 60k car loan still in residency. Sure I could have waited 1 yr to pay off my 100k student loan and pay the car in cash but I don't see the point of waiting if the debt is small compared to my income.

His thoughts on buying real estate goes against leverage which I disagree with. He wants people to buy rental properties with cash. Do you know how long this will take most people? I bought my first rentals with debt, 30% down that has more than doubled in value in 7 yrs. Bought another property with debt, 30% down that will likely sell for 2M on a 750K investment 4 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Strange way for that server to say you have a nice car. I feel bad for people who are not making decent wage. Before med school, my household income was 115-120k and I felt like I was living comfortably, and did not have to think about money. Then during med school and residency household income cut in half, and life has been completely different. It's amazing how much of a difference an extra 50k/yr (35-40k after taxes) can make 'lifestyle-wise'.
Her point was wondering why kids (Yes I looked young) always get nice stuff from rich parents while she is barely making it

Should have been "I paid for it with debt"

I agree that live should be lived on the way, but that doesn't require a ton of $$$ IMO.

I don't regret living in a crappy apartment with my friends, driving my crappy car, and drinking yeungling instead of local IPAs. Many good times were had, I don't think that living in a fancier apartment or upgrading my beater to a beemer would have made an appreciable impact, and I'm glad I left myself in as reasonable a financial situation as possible. Skimp on the things, though, not the experiences. I would absolutely regret if i hadn't traveled to new zealand with my friends. I have no regrets that we stayed in hostels, rented a wreck of a car, and so on.

I agree that live should be lived on the way, but that doesn't require a ton of $$$ IMO.

I don't regret living in a crappy apartment with my friends, driving my crappy car, and drinking yeungling instead of local IPAs. Many good times were had, I don't think that living in a fancier apartment or upgrading my beater to a beemer would have made an appreciable impact, and I'm glad I left myself in as reasonable a financial situation as possible. Skimp on the things, though, not the experiences. I would absolutely regret if i hadn't traveled to new zealand with my friends. I have no regrets that we stayed in hostels, rented a wreck of a car, and so on.
Everyone has different needs and wants. Just don't have regrets. I see too many living cheaply in the name of "It doesn't really make me happy", get sick and have alot of regrets.

I have a relative who always wanted a Tesla, could easily afford 10 of them, never bought it b/c just couldn't justify the money. Now had a stroke and will never drive again. Its all about balance and be honest with yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
I got upgraded to an virtually brand new XC90 as a rental car not too long ago. Never been a Volvo guy but I was very impressed.

The whole care felt so...solid? I’m not sure what the word is. I’m not huge into luxury gizmos in cars and the “dynamics” of driving a finely tuned sports car are lost on me. But man, this thing felt like a rock, in the best possible way. Every button click, the way the door shut, the way the acceleration picked up when you gave it a little push or took a corner just felt very well made all around. It felt like there was a gyroscope in the car keeping it stuck to the road, and that’s never something I’ve experienced in an SUV.

I could totally see the draw and would consider getting one. Or more likely putting my wife in one as I continue to grind my 4Runner back into dust.

When it comes to "experiences over things," a point should also be made that spending money on a "thing" that you can experience over and over again on a regular basis is well worth it. Things like instruments if you have a true passion for it, an expensive gym membership if you're into physique sports....and even an expensive car if you will enjoy driving and experiencing it daily.

When it comes to "experiences over things," a point should also be made that spending money on a "thing" that you can experience over and over again on a regular basis is well worth it. Things like instruments if you have a true passion for it, an expensive gym membership if you're into physique sports....and even an expensive car if you will enjoy driving and experiencing it daily.

Every person is different. If I had a stroke tomorrow and couldn’t ever drive again I would have zero regrets not buying a fancy car in my whole life.

On the other hand I would regret not going all over the world with my family staying in awesome hotels, eating best food in those cities etc.

That's just an extension of what I said, though - "it's not what you have, but, what you do". If it's driving 100 mph around, whether that's a rental or your own ride, that's that. If it's paintings that are in a room you never enter, that's that.

So, you're right - it's just means to an end.

I got upgraded to an virtually brand new XC90 as a rental car not too long ago. Never been a Volvo guy but I was very impressed.

The whole care felt so...solid? I’m not sure what the word is. I’m not huge into luxury gizmos in cars and the “dynamics” of driving a finely tuned sports car are lost on me. But man, this thing felt like a rock, in the best possible way. Every button click, the way the door shut, the way the acceleration picked up when you gave it a little push or took a corner just felt very well made all around. It felt like there was a gyroscope in the car keeping it stuck to the road, and that’s never something I’ve experienced in an SUV.

I could totally see the draw and would consider getting one. Or more likely putting my wife in one as I continue to grind my 4Runner back into dust.

We had an early XC90 for a couple of years before med school, it was terrible in every way. Fast-forward to intern year and I’m now living where I need All-wheel drive and I’ve got a soft-spot for wagons. Checked out a V90 Cross Country and absolutely loved it. Was sold. Decided to wait since this was about the time my residency was closing. End of March, I’m driving by the local dealer and see another V90 Cross Country on the lot. It was pretty much fully loaded and had the Polestar performance upgrades. They had killer discounts for healthcare workers through Volvo, plus what the dealer was discounting it and they gave me a ridiculous amount for my trade in. With the service after the sale, We couldn’t pass the deal up. Just took it on it’s first real road trip, the Pilot Assist cruise is great on the interstate , and it’s fun to run down a twisty back road with the performance mode selected.

We had an early XC90 for a couple of years before med school, it was terrible in every way. Fast-forward to intern year and I’m now living where I need All-wheel drive and I’ve got a soft-spot for wagons. Checked out a V90 Cross Country and absolutely loved it. Was sold. Decided to wait since this was about the time my residency was closing. End of March, I’m driving by the local dealer and see another V90 Cross Country on the lot. It was pretty much fully loaded and had the Polestar performance upgrades. They had killer discounts for healthcare workers through Volvo, plus what the dealer was discounting it and they gave me a ridiculous amount for my trade in. With the service after the sale, We couldn’t pass the deal up. Just took it on it’s first real road trip, the Pilot Assist cruise is great on the interstate , and it’s fun to run down a twisty back road with the performance mode selected.
V90 is a sweet car. We don’t have those in the wild here, avg elevation change of ~2 inches/mile means not much need. But man would I love to take one of those camping.

What was wrong with the XC90?

What was wrong with the XC90?
We had an '06 T6 model. They were notorious for transmission failures. Apparently they were GM built and didn't perform well with the turbocharged Volvo engine. Bought it used and had it maybe a month before the transmission failed. Dealer fixed it at a discount, but another month later, had engine problems. The ride was terrible on long trips and seats were uncomfortable. When we test drove the first V90CC, and told the salesperson our previous experience, they went "We're sorry about that. That was when Ford owned Volvo and they cheapened everything. We lost a lot of customers during that timeframe"