Briefcase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex2099

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Strange question for any of you who have been interviewed or will be interviewed.

Should I bring a brieface or bag to the interview? I don't see why I would need to bring anything, but some people have told me that you must bring paper to take notes on and to have questions written down to ask your interviewer.

I don't own a briefcase and I don't want to bring a school bag. What did you all do? Did you bring anything other than your charming suit-clad selves?

Thanks
Alex

Members don't see this ad.

Strange question for any of you who have been interviewed or will be interviewed.

Should I bring a brieface or bag to the interview? I don't see why I would need to bring anything, but some people have told me that you must bring paper to take notes on and to have questions written down to ask your interviewer.

I don't own a briefcase and I don't want to bring a school bag. What did you all do? Did you bring anything other than your charming suit-clad selves?

Thanks
Alex
I brought a briefcase as nothing says "hey i am a professional" more than a briefcase. Also its a good idea as you said to have questions written down to ask the interviewer. Near the end of the interview they will ask "do you have any questions for me?"......then pull out the paper and start reading them off.:sleep:

I think a leather portfolio is appropriate. Althought most schools give a you a folder with all the materials, it does feel weird to be empty handed at the start of the day. That being said, I would get tired of carrying a briefcase all day...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a leather portfolio is appropriate. Althought most schools give a you a folder with all the materials, it does feel weird to be empty handed at the start of the day. That being said, I would get tired of carrying a briefcase all day...

Agree. Most people get those leather folio things you can pick up at stationary stores, staples, etc, that have a pad of paper, a slot for a pen, and a pocket/slot for handouts. A briefcase is really for a different kind of professional. Few doctors, let alone applicants, carry them.

I used my leather portfolio with zipper. Carried all my papers well, as well as a notepad and pen. That's professional enough for purposes of med school interviews.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll go out and buy myself a leather portfolio

Another good thing about carrying something is that it gives you something to do with your hands. It can be very awkward if you are nervous and your hands are empty. A briefcase/handbag is the perfect excuse.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll go out and buy myself a leather portfolio

That's what my daughter bought herself. I know she brought it with her in the car to the interviews but I don't know if she took it inside the interview. I'd maybe not buy one with a zipper or snaps because you might find yourself fumbling to open it or close it. I think her's was like $15 at an office store.....nothing too fancy. Good luck!

I've only had two interviews but at both of them the first thing they did was give us their folder slash info packet. I felt pretty normal carrying just that. I think a briefcase might be better when you actually have stuff to carry in it. :D ;)

Good luck on your interview! :luck:

I would laugh at anyone with a briefcase at an interview. I took into my 3 interviews a pen, which I placed in my inner coat pocket. I was accepted into 2 of the 3 schools, and waitlisted at the third. So, I don't think you need to bring ****. And what are you taking notes about? Financial Aid? I was thinking about my interview during Financial Aid presentations. Just go. And don't look queer.

dont take anything...maybe a pen though they usually give you one...i always ended up with so much stuff at the interview that I was glad i did not have anything extra...and yes i too would laugh at someone with a breifcase

Forget the briefcase - it would make you look like a member of a high school debate team. The leather padfolio is good idea. White shirt. Nice tie.

A briefcase would look ridiculous. Most people just bring a leather portfolio and as previously mentioned, it's more so you have something to play with than for any truly useful purpose. You don't actually need to bring anything to an interview unless its specifically requested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone's been saying, a lot of people don't bring anything. I, however, feel awkward when my hands are just sitting there, so I brought a black leather portfolio that I got at the campus bookstore (they have then at office supplies stores too) for about $25.

A briefcase would look ridiculous. Most people just bring a leather portfolio and as previously mentioned, it's more so you have something to play with than for any truly useful purpose. You don't actually need to bring anything to an interview unless its specifically requested.

An excellent post. This about sums it up. I support what gotmeds said about the briefcase ... please do not be that guy. Just bring a pen and a smile.

Like everyone's been saying, a lot of people don't bring anything. I, however, feel awkward when my hands are just sitting there, so I brought a black leather portfolio that I got at the campus bookstore (they have then at office supplies stores too) for about $25.

Hi WCGee, I just read your signature. Don't worry, I ate salmonella peanut butter, too. My jar was half-empty by the time I saw the news. :( However, I haven't presented any symptoms, so I guess either it didn't have salmonella or I didn't get sick from it.

I still threw it away though. :eek:

yea, in retrospect, i think it's useless to bring a portfolio around if you're not bringing anything with you to the interview because every school gave you a folder with handouts and stuff in it. but, if you ended up doing mstp, where you had to bring 6 copies of every paper that you worked on (5 MD/PhD interviews + 1 for the secretary), you definately want to keep them in a portfolio as opposed to waving a stack of papers around conspicuously and looking like an idiot. :p

if you're a girl, i think you're luckier with briefcases (because they fit them like purses, you don't have to carry them around in your hand, and it does look uber professional, and is great for storing cards you may collect that day, water they give you, the folder people talk about, etc). So if you're a girl buy one of those leather briefcase/purses (with an umbrella hideaway, that'll make you look savvy at your raining interviews). I had to use one b/c I was traveling a lot, and it was much more convenient to keep my notes, copies of my AMCAS and such for me to review, questions for each school, etc. in the briefcase/purse (which came with a leather notepad).

And to top it off. I didn't get the briefcase/purse myself. I got it from a harvard doctor (LOR writer) who gave it to me as a graduation present to use for medical school interviews. To tell you the truth, I haven't touched it since the interviews, but I left it with some friends, and supposedly it gets good use on job interviews :).

if you're going to get something, make sure no school emblems on it just in case

I would not do a briefcase, there was one person at an interview of mine with a briefcase. He seemed very awkward and out of place, too business like, and a bit standoffish. I would just go with a nice leather portfolio. I don't even use mine that much.

Hi WCGee, I just read your signature. Don't worry, I ate salmonella peanut butter, too. My jar was half-empty by the time I saw the news. :( However, I haven't presented any symptoms, so I guess either it didn't have salmonella or I didn't get sick from it.

I still threw it away though. :eek:

Haha. I know, I just ate one sandwich, but got freaked out and threw it away anyways. :)

i brought a briefcase that looked a lot like a purse. there was a space for papers, but also room so that it could be a purse as well. i liked having room for chapstick, tissues, a snack etc... though for guys i think a portfolio should do the trick.

I would not do a briefcase, there was one person at an interview of mine with a briefcase. He seemed very awkward and out of place, too business like, and a bit standoffish.
Agreed. College students with briefcases look more like Alex P. Keaton than Donald Trump...

I prefer to take my notes on a napkin stolen from the school's coffee cart.

I vote for the leather portfolio. And yes, take notes. I take notes as a habit, but I've found that taking notes makes people feel important and respected. They love it.

I vote for the leather portfolio. And yes, take notes. I take notes as a habit, but I've found that taking notes makes people feel important and respected. They love it.

They may love it only if there is something actually worth while to take notes about. I brought a leather portfolio to my first interview and opened it up twice. Once during the orientation/introduction (for which they provided a folder full of papers that covered everything) and once when I sat down for my interview like we were about to go over some crucial business planning agenda. They proceded to ask me about my application and movtivations for medicine (gasp!) and then had a bunch of ethics opinion questions for. Alas, there was nothing I could take notes about to look all professional and stuff. I did manage to write their names down quickly in it as they rushed me out the door. Maybe that made them feel important?? Yeh, there was no need for it.

Yeh, next interview I brought nothing but a pen and a smile. Went much better without carrying around the useless prop.

yes, you don't want to be "that guy with the briefcase".