Osteopath

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
I know those of you in this forum are more accustomed to putting people in an altered sense of reality, but I was hoping you could shed some light on my situation.

3rd year DO student at a top DO school on the east coast.

Average 1st/2nd year grades, below average Step I COMLEX and USMLE.

My clinical years is where I expect to perform well and thus far have indeed done well.

I have a strong interest in Anethesia and in a few months will be doing a 2 week rotation in Anesthesia.

Is there hope for someone like me matching into a good program? I know programs in my area frequently accept DOs and I would most likely be staying in the area.

I currently do not have any research experience and really have nothing to set myself apart from other applicants.

What can I do with the rest of my clinical time to better my chances of matching into a good program?

Are there any good books that I can read prior to my Anesthesia clerkship that will better prepare me but not be over my head?

Any advice is appreciated. I want to be informed about moving towards Anesthesia, but at the same time I don't want to be shooting for something that may be unattainable for someone in my position.

Thanks in advance

Your friendly future Osteopath

PassinGas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
You have the right attitude...do well on your rotations since you cant change anything that's already done (below avg USMLE etc.).

If you make sure that your application for residency is complete by Nov 1st when Dean's letters go out (I'm assuming that DO apps are the same as mine, but I'm not certain), you could plan on taking USMLE step II in late September. That would allow you to get your scores back by late November after your application and Step I scores have already been sent out to programs. Just be sure that when you fill out your ERAS application that you do not check the box that automaticly resends your USMLE scores when Step II is reported.

If you scored the same on step II as step I (below avg.), then don't release your step II score. If you did better on step II, you will still be able to influence your application by releasing your scores. If you take the test much earlier and the scores are back before you submit your application then both sets of USMLE scores would be reported to all the programs. If you take it much later, then the scores may not be back in time for you to influence the programs. I would plan on some light rotations just prior to the test or some vacation time if possible. Study hard and you should do well.

For your Anesthesia roatation you could consider reading baby Miller if you want, but it is not necessary at all.

As for someone in "your position," I'm sure you could find a position in anesthesia. It may not be at your top choice, but I would rather be in anesthesia than any other field. If that's how you feel, then go for it. I would be happy at almost all of the programs that I interviewed with this year. Some people do away rotations to improve their chances of getting a spot at a particular program. I didn't do this, but if you choose to do an away rotation, I would consider doing a rotation at your school first to prep yourself.

JP2005

HOPKINS GAS PASSER
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 20, 2001
NYC/Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol...being a DO student, im just curious which DO schools are considered "top"? In my opinion they are all the same....

HeyDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Status
Being a DO myself and just finishing the interview process, the best thing you could do to help your chances are to do well on the USMLE Step II. Essentially the better you do, the better the interviews will be. Don't let anybody fool you, it's all about your SCORES!!! Also, do a rotation at as many of the residency programs you're interested at as you can.

Lefty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
Status
lol...being a DO student, im just curious which DO schools are considered "top"? In my opinion they are all the same....
That was the exact same thought running through my head when I read the original post.

I would say that one of the best things you could do is to rotate in anesthesia at 2-3 different institutions where you would like to get accepted for residency. Show up, be interested, try to learn, and meet a lot of the attendings and residents. Perform well on any exams they may have and that will help you out a lot. Of course, it may depend on the program exactly how much it helps.

Also, try to pull some good letters of recommendation from well-known faculty there.

Watch what happens with the trends in the match this year too. Apply to a variety of programs--some top, middle, and lower tier programs. You should be able to get several interviews.

For now work on getting good letters of rec and rotating at a few places where you want to train. Those are the most important things you can do for now. (my opinion)

Lefty

JP2005

HOPKINS GAS PASSER
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 20, 2001
NYC/Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
agree with HEYDOC....it is your scores (and/or the fact that you rotated there) that will get you through the door for interviews regardless of what anybody says.......

IN2bait

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
Osteopath said:
I know those of you in this forum are more accustomed to putting people in an altered sense of reality, but I was hoping you could shed some light on my situation.

3rd year DO student at a top DO school on the east coast.

Average 1st/2nd year grades, below average Step I COMLEX and USMLE.

My clinical years is where I expect to perform well and thus far have indeed done well.

I have a strong interest in Anethesia and in a few months will be doing a 2 week rotation in Anesthesia.

Is there hope for someone like me matching into a good program? I know programs in my area frequently accept DOs and I would most likely be staying in the area.

I currently do not have any research experience and really have nothing to set myself apart from other applicants.

What can I do with the rest of my clinical time to better my chances of matching into a good program?

Are there any good books that I can read prior to my Anesthesia clerkship that will better prepare me but not be over my head?

Any advice is appreciated. I want to be informed about moving towards Anesthesia, but at the same time I don't want to be shooting for something that may be unattainable for someone in my position.

Thanks in advance

Your friendly future Osteopath
why would a DO want to specialize, especially in something as far from primary care as anesthesiology? wouldn't all that osteopath training go to waste?

allopaths go into medicine, osteopaths go to osteopathy...what's all this crossover? I've never seen a medical doctor going to a osteopathic residency...yet I consistently see the reverse. I don't get it.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
IN2bait said:
why would a DO want to specialize, especially in something as far from primary care as anesthesiology? wouldn't all that osteopath training go to waste?

allopaths go into medicine, osteopaths go to osteopathy...what's all this crossover? I've never seen a medical doctor going to a osteopathic residency...yet I consistently see the reverse. I don't get it.
Troll.

What exactly is 'osteopathy'?

IN2bait

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
Idiopathic said:
Troll.

What exactly is 'osteopathy'?
Idiopathic's name suites his intellect. He just doesn't know...

(see below)...DO = doctor of osteopathy (or osteopathic medicine)

my issue is the waste of training...nothing more

Pronunciation: "äs-tE-'ä-p&-thE
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin osteopathia, from oste- + Latin -pathia -pathy
: a system of medical practice based on a theory that diseases are due chiefly to loss of structural integrity which can be restored by manipulation of the parts supplemented by therapeutic measures (as use of medicine or surgery)

Test Boy

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Mar 30, 1999
Visit site
Status
wow, can't believe this kid created a username just to post this kind of crap

IN2bait said:

timtye78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
JP2005 said:
Hey, thanks for your opinion! And I think all MD schools are the same!
And all the foreign and carib are the same as well!

Just kidding, but I wouldn't go that far. Either way everyone at every graduation is rightly proud of themselves.

I would think that the better statement is, it depends on the criteria used for ranking on which is tops. I think most people look at trends on what specialties the alums tend to go in, and how good their reputation is in the respectful fields.

Every DO student 'heard' that their DO school was 'tops.-just look at the newly accepted thread in the Pre-DO forums.
US News and World Report ranks the best primary care schools.
UNTHSC-TCOM and OSU-COM ranked highly above many prestigious MD schools and other osteopathic schools.

toughlife

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
the top 20-25 allopathic schools to be top schools. No DO school comes close to being in the top in terms of the academic strength, research or faculty.
I say DO schools rank below the 100th ranked allopathic school. I mean some DO schools sent their students all over the country to complete their rotations cuz they don't even have anything in terms of rotation to offer their students. Now that's lame.
If you want to see God just look at the top 10 allo schools and bow down.

timtye78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
toughlife said:
the top 20-25 allopathic schools to be top schools. No DO school comes close to being in the top in terms of the academic strength, research or faculty.
I say DO schools rank below the 100th ranked allopathic school. I mean some DO schools sent their students all over the country to complete their rotations cuz they don't even have anything in terms of rotation to offer their students. Now that's lame.
:laugh: I respect your right to your free speech...

Your quote says "I say DO schools rank below the 100th.."

You have a right to your opinion, but I have no interest for your 'rank list.' I find it much more interesting to see what third parties have to say; who review many professional schools.I have much more respect for a more objective approach, eg US News/World Report.

Your instructions to 'see God and bow down' etc is ludicrous even though you must have said it in jest. :laugh:

OP
O

Osteopath

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
Thank you everyone for your insights into this question of mine. They have been quite helpful.

Unfortunately this thread has taken a different road that I had hoped so if there are any other helpful hints or insights, please drop me a PM.

Once again, thanks for all of the help thus far.

:thumbup:
:D

Brass_Monkey

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
Status
toughlife said:

Guess what, douche......bow down to me!! I am a DO and make close to $400k per annum. Not bad for an osteopath. Now bow down to me, bitch!

Peace :laugh: