Bringing a gameboy to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That you feel you have to argue this is, frankly, kind of funny. If you don't want to change your behavior, then don't.

I like to read, that's all. Didn't think it was too big of a deal, but apparently it sends the wrong message. I was just arguing that reading a book does not mean a "lack of self-awareness."

I see the point that it can be perceived that way, which is why I'm being advised not to bring a book. It just seems like a hostile accusation, but what do I know.

But I'll be sure to bump if I get in.

Members don't see this ad.

I like to read, that's all. Didn't think it was too big of a deal, but apparently it sends the wrong message. I was just arguing that reading a book does not mean a "lack of self-awareness."

I see the point that it can be perceived that way, which is why I'm being advised not to bring a book. It just seems like a hostile accusation, but what do I know.

But I'll be sure to bump if I get in.
It's not about reading a book. It's about reading a book during AN INTERVIEW DAY. It's literally an 8 hour period or less that you should be on your best behavior, appear interested, and sell yourself.

I cannot believe this thread has so many comments. Any person who is advocating doing anything but smiling and chatting with your fellow applicants has got to get his head out the freakin books and learn that people make judgments about others based on the way they act. And seriously a gameboy???????

Members don't see this ad :)
Bring it!!!! I hope we interview the same day....

I just had two interviews where I was waiting 30 minutes by myself, so I picked up my book. What the he... is the problem with that??? If my interviewer came by and saw me reading then he can keep his pre-conceived notions of how much of a bookworm/antisocial/crazy applicant I am and reject me if that's how nitpicky interviewers are about accepting people.

It's just really neurotic to think, "Oh... he's reading a book... he must be socially awkward...obviously he wouldn't know how to talk to patients."

You're naive and lack real world experience. In all facets of life, snap judgments are made in the first 10 seconds and are hard to shed.

I wish I could make a thread that's this successful.

Make a topic about if it's ok to make out with a fellow interviewee.

Make a topic about if it's ok to make out with a fellow interviewee.

Hahaha or flirt; I stopped myself short of that one thankfully, but it took me a sec to realize what I was about to do. It would be terrible if...

3801.jpg

It's not about reading a book. It's about reading a book during AN INTERVIEW DAY. It's literally an 8 hour period or less that you should be on your best behavior, appear interested, and sell yourself.

You're naive and lack real world experience. In all facets of life, snap judgments are made in the first 10 seconds and are hard to shed.

Thanks for the honesty guys. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

I also understand how first impressions work, so please keep the condescension to yourselves. Especially over something so trivial.

Last edited:
I don't see how you've had the time to sit alone and be bored at an interview. Any free time I was talking with other applicants, which was only for a half hour at most. Why would you want to seem so disinterested in the place that you had to read or play a game?

Especially over something so trivial.

I think what you're not understanding (or not making clear that you understand) is that this is the exact kind of trivial bull**** that will give your interviewer a bad impression of you. Unless you're awesome enough to make up for that, it's not worth it

What DrB and others were trying to say is that for EIGHT HOURS (at MOST) you should be able to handle not reading your book. There's nothing wrong with reading. There's something wrong with reading during in an interview day.

To give you another example, it's pretty much as weird as someone knitting in the admissions office. Both behaviors are unprofessional and give off a bad impression.

To give you another example, it's pretty much as weird as someone knitting in the admissions office. Both behaviors are unprofessional and give off a bad impression.

Nah man, it's worse. At least he could be knitting something to give to his interviewer, student host, etc. that is both memorable and supportive of the school (maybe a beanie with the school's logo knitted into its pattern.) It could be seen as a semi-unique talent if he's good enough at it. :laugh: What're you gonna do with that book? Read your interviewer a goodnight story? :smuggrin:

Nah man, it's worse. At least he could be knitting something to give to his interviewer, student host, etc. that is both memorable and supportive of the school (maybe a beanie with the school's logo knitted into its pattern.) It could be seen as a semi-unique talent if he's good enough at it. :laugh: What're you gonna do with that book? Read your interviewer a goodnight story? :smuggrin:

I would be super weirded out if an applicant knitted something for me...

(sent from my phone)