Bringing a gameboy to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You still have a gameboy? :eek:

Only if it's one of these. :p

gameboy03.jpeg

Hell. Gym battle your interviewer.

Is this acceptable?

If you mean to keep you occupied while you wait, sure. If people can play on their phones, why can you bring a gameboy? Mine doesn't work and I have a full head of steam. As long as you don't use the gameboy during the interview or in the sight of other the school's faculty, I think you'll be fine.

Interesting question. Just play on your phone.

OP--not sure if this is a joke--but absolutely not. You will be watched during your interview--and ALWAYS have a smile on your face and be attentive. Don't play your gameboy.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP--not sure if this is a joke--but absolutely not. You will be watched during your interview--and ALWAYS have a smile on your face and be attentive. Don't play your gameboy.

False.

Dr. House often messes around on his PSP.

Dr. House is great doctor.

images

definitely, but make sure you bring those big over the ear headphones, don't want to bother those sitting next to you watching the financial aid and housing lectures now

It depends if you're Asian or not.

If you aren't, then you'll just look like a nerdy white kid.

If you are Asian, and if you're able to "bring it", then you can probably get mad respectz from all.

Like this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlxZKUWXxiU[/YOUTUBE]

Well just make sure you bring a full screen TV and your X-box to the interview if you want to pull this off.

Last edited:
Uh... why are people saying no? I bring books while I am waiting, and I'm sure a gameboy wouldn't be a big deal. Although, it's best to talk to fellow interviewees.

Uh... why are people saying no? I bring books while I am waiting, and I'm sure a gameboy wouldn't be a big deal. Although, it's best to talk to fellow interviewees.

I was about to say, bring a book instead. Seems like a safer choice. (Although I'm dying a little inside because if I still had my gameboy, I'd want to bring it with me, too. Pokemon red all the way.)

There really isn't enough time for playing around on a phone, much less a gameboy. People will take a ten second glance at their phone at the most--no one wants to look disinterested during the interview. During free time, which is mainly during lunch, people talk to each other.

On the flip side, you still own a gameboy? I loved playing Pokemon on mine back in 1999.

Better yet, bring 2 and a link cable.

I had a psychiatrist who used to be on an adcom tell me that he would sometimes walk past where interviewers were sitting and observe the interactions before interviews and advised me to use my downtime to socialize and get to know my fellow interviewers because you never know who is watching.

I had a psychiatrist who used to be on an adcom tell me that he would sometimes walk past where interviewers were sitting and observe the interactions before interviews and advised me to use my downtime to socialize and get to know my fellow interviewers because you never know who is watching.

You can bet if I walked in to get you for an interview and saw you playing a gameboy while the other interviewees were talking around you I might have something to say about "social interaction" on my feedback. Even if I saw you reading a book in the middle of people it'd be kind of weird. If it's the end of the day and you're the last one left to interview or waiting for a cab that's one thing but not while everyone else is still around.

You can bet if I walked in to get you for an interview and saw you playing a gameboy while the other interviewees were talking around you I might have something to say about "social interaction" on my feedback. Even if I saw you reading a book in the middle of people it'd be kind of weird. If it's the end of the day and you're the last one left to interview or waiting for a cab that's one thing but not while everyone else is still around.

lol @ using something as insignificant interacting with other interviewees as a criteria for social interaction

please tell me this is sarcasm

How am I being sarcastic? Some times at interviews, I just don't feel like talking to people. I was sitting next to a guy during one interview that was really nice, but he was trying to convince me that the Cowboys should have won the superbowl last year. He also called Tony Romo elite and said the Mavs would beat the Lakers in the playoffs this year. Do you think I want to listen to this deluded guy ride Dallas franchises? I've seen quite a few trolls in my days but I don't think this guy was trolling. Like I said, nice guy, funny as hell, but when he started talking about the cowboys, I just shut down.

How am I being sarcastic? Some times at interviews, I just don't feel like talking to people. I was sitting next to a guy during one interview that was really nice, but he was trying to convince me that the Cowboys should have won the superbowl last year. He also called Tony Romo elite and said the Mavs would beat the Lakers in the playoffs this year. Do you think I want to listen to this deluded guy ride Dallas franchises? I've seen quite a few trolls in my days but I don't think this guy was trolling. Like I said, nice guy, funny as hell, but when he started talking about the cowboys, I just shut down.

Haha, ok I will give you that one. But the OP is talking about playing a gameboy during interview days which is a little different than sitting quietly. Even still I think a good faith effort to get to know people around you goes a long way and people/adcoms might judge you based on that small interaction because they don't have anything else to go on. What other criteria do they have for social interaction besides your 20 minute interview and what they see in the interview room?

lol @ using something as insignificant interacting with other interviewees as a criteria for social interaction

Like it or not that's how you'll get judged. All I've got is that and your interaction with me to see how you do with social interaction and I know you'll be nice to me because you have to. Sorry bud.

Like it or not that's how you'll get judged. All I've got is that and your interaction with me to see how you do with social interaction and I know you'll be nice to me because you have to. Sorry bud.

To be fair, you're right about the whole "you're supposed to be nice in an interview", but judging someone based on 1 limited interaction with them is hardly fair. But that's just the way that the cookie crumbles I guess.

OP no, this simply sends the wrong impression to your fellow applicants, the admissions office, and god forbid any adcom/members or interviewers.

This. If I had an interviewee stay with me who brought his gameboy (or phone for that matter) and was playing on it during the interview day (or, frankly, the night before), I'd think it was a bit strange. From the time you step onto campus, you are being watched and your interactions with other interviewees, students, faculty, and staff are being noted (whether formally or not). People are getting an impression of you and if they feel you are a good fit, they will be much more likely to offer what they can for your interview and/or give good feedback supporting your candidacy if they are in a place to do so. Bringing a gameboy just plain looks out of place and childish. Even playing on your phone for longer than it takes to check the time is a poor decision on interview day. Reading a book is okay at the end of the day when there is no one else to talk to, but if there are other candidates, I would strongly suggest talking w/ them for several reasons: they are your potential future classmates (and, ultimately, colleagues), it makes you look sociable, and it's fun to meet new people.

Interviewer: so how do you plan to maintain a work life balance? Do you have any hobbies?

OP: well as a matter of fact....

To be fair, you're right about the whole "you're supposed to be nice in an interview", but judging someone based on 1 limited interaction with them is hardly fair. But that's just the way that the cookie crumbles I guess.

I understand the sentiment, but the bolded is an aspect of the interview process you have to accept. The interview is itself is a single "limited interaction".

I wouldnt, it distracts you from meeting people, especially medical students. Im not going to try to tell an applicant about my school if they are occupied.

Agreed. Even if you are just playing it during down time, while waiting for an interview or after lunch/before a tour, to me it would indicate a general lack of interest in the school and people around you. But that's just me.

I understand the sentiment, but the bolded is an aspect of the interview process you have to accept. The interview is itself is a single "limited interaction".

True, but at least you're being judged more fairly. Or at least you think you are.

True, but at least you're being judged more fairly. Or at least you think you are.

Not really, IMO. If anything, judging your bx OUTSIDE the formal interview setting is much better assessment in that it is the time you are more likely to exhibit the sort of behaviors you would exhibit if a student here. In other words, the adcom wants to know what it would be like to have you as a student. A 30-min (or even 60-min or MMI-style) interview is nowhere near sufficient to determine that. Regardless, most of the decision lies with how you act during that 30-90 min interview period. Your bx outside the formal interview will really only be noted if it is significantly outside of normal limits (esp. if below the expected standards).

Rule of thumb. Don't even play with your phone until interview is over. I've heard adcom that would auto reject you if they saw you playing with your phone at any time, at least that's what the advisor at the school told us when she saw someone texting on their phone.

Rule of thumb. Don't even play with your phone until interview is over. I've heard adcom that would auto reject you if they saw you playing with your phone at any time, at least that's what the advisor at the school told us when she saw someone texting on their phone.

Is this particularly surprising. I'd do the same thing on a 1st date if my date were texting.... I mean, c'mon people, have some common sense!

You can only play it if you have Pokemon blue version. No exceptions.

Man, someone actually said that to ya? He must be rly high or something. I would be terribly annoyed.

lol...the reason I asked if he still had a gameboy wasn't meant to be a bad thing for the record. It had to be real old, since a DS/3DS or a PSP/Vita are way more common :p

I would personally say the only time is if you are waiting for something to start, and by yourself. If not, then make small talk with the person/people that come by. I doubt they are that boring that you can't talk to them for only 15 minutes.

Whelp, looks like I'm rejected from all the schools I interviewed at for sending texts or getting other people's numbers.

I hear that if you get automatically accepted if you wear purple on your body.

Come on people, don't sensationalize the process. "OMG that person is texting, therefore they are antisocial and wouldn't be a good fit at our school"

Man, someone actually said that to ya? He must be rly high or something. I would be terribly annoyed.

He blamed dallas' loss to the bears and 4 of romo's turnovers on the o-line and receivers. I was going to call him out on trolling, but he had this look of sincerity, so I just ended up berating him for thinking Romo was at Manning's/Brady's/Rodger's/Brees' level

That's the way the cookie crumbles almost everywhere. Lots of people are judged on 1 small interaction that determines key things. But, of course, as long as you are yourself, it's easy as pie.

That's the way the cookie crumbles almost everywhere. Lots of people are judged on 1 small interaction that determines key things. But, of course, as long as you are yourself, it's easy as pie.

Yeah, but what I was trying to get at was that when you're interviewing, at least that window is increased to like 30-45 minutes instead of just someone dropping in to say hi to the interviewers and observing for 10 minutes.

Life ain't fair.

He blamed dallas' loss to the bears and 4 of romo's turnovers on the o-line and receivers. I was going to call him out on trolling, but he had this look of sincerity, so I just ended up berating him for thinking Romo was at Manning's/Brady's/Rodger's/Brees' level

Hahaha, that's crazy
I wonder what is the chance he is reading this. I am thinking about 99%.
Lawl

Do it, they'll think you're edgy and cool.

Hahaha, that's crazy
I wonder what is the chance he is reading this. I am thinking about 99%.
Lawl

lol that would be awkward. But if he is reading this, i'll tell him what I told him in person: THE COWBOYS SUCK.