Bringing models or projects to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mskccdent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that people bring art projects or models to interviews...is this something that is common or expected?

I'm not sure I have anything that is meaningful to show and bring...

Can someone comment on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I've read that people bring art projects or models to interviews...is this something that is common or expected?

Are you serious???

Members don't see this ad :)
Not so much on the models, but I have heard of people bringing their guitars and shredding in front of the adcom... just to prove their manual dexterity.

I've heard that too. My pre-dental advisor at school told me she had a student who brought in their violin to their interview.

I actually always bring at least one model with me to all interviews. It hasn't worked out that great so far because most of the male interviewers just get jealous.

Sometime soon, you need to decide if you are applying to art or dental school.

I'm bringing laminated copies of the schematic diagrams of my research project. However, I'm not going to bring them out unless they inquired further about my research =P.

Don't bring models, your interviewer won't ask to see them and its awkward to just pull them out. You can always mail/email photos if they ask.

Should you bring anything with you? Like copies of your personal statement, application, etc.? I've read in some places that this has been done. It seems like it would be awkward to just be carrying a briefcase around with you through the interview though.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should you bring anything with you? Like copies of your personal statement, application, etc.? I've read in some places that this has been done. It seems like it would be awkward to just be carrying a briefcase around with you through the interview though.

Thoughts?

You should bring that with just in case and have it in a little black leather portfolio with a tablet of paper and pen. I had a residency interview where the third person I saw didn't have a copy of my CV...bam I handed him my spare so he could ask questions about info I provided rather than 20 minutes of shots in the dark

I actually always bring at least one model with me to all interviews. It hasn't worked out that great so far because most of the male interviewers just get jealous.

Haha

I wouldn't personally bring a model to an interview.

You could bring pictures of models or 2D art with you. I always brought one of those leather folios to take notes on, you could just stick it in there and if the chance presents itself, whip it out.

Are you serious???
:thumbup:

I wouldn't personally bring a model to an interview.
:thumbdown:

You could bring pictures of models or 2D art with you. I always brought one of those leather folios to take notes on, you could just stick it in there and if the chance presents itself, whip it out.
Instead of finding/planning ideas/ways to stall/increase your interview time, have y'all ever considered the thought of just simply attaching the/these photo(s)/clip(s) of this/these "projects" or "models" to the thank you email/letter; this would certainly make a rather more creative, unique, personalized gesture of appreciation. Just a mere suggestion here. :p

When I interviewed for dental school, I showed the interviewers pictures of the Gundam Wing models I built. Turned out the interviewer had a daughter who also had a passion for building model robots so we clicked right away. I didn't get a negative response from anyone, but this may not work all the time. It really depends on who your interviewer is. I got lucky. Only show them if they ask or if the conversation is going well.

When I interviewed for dental school, I showed the interviewers pictures of the Gundam Wing models I built. Turned out the interviewer had a daughter who also had a passion for building model robots so we clicked right away. I didn't get a negative response from anyone, but this may not work all the time. It really depends on who your interviewer is. I got lucky. Only show them if they ask or if the conversation is going well.
Oh the good ol' childhood years! I remember quarreling with my little brother over whose turn to watch TV, and I had to patiently sit there watching that Gundam Wing crap for 30 mins. It was those 30 mins after elementary school each day where I eventually developed an unrealistic imagination for technology. And yeah, I did help my little brother paint those annoying model kits; I had to watch the paint dry..... sigh.....:yawn:
It really depends on who your interviewer is. I got lucky. Only show them if they ask or if the conversation is going well.
Agreed.

I'll definitely be busting out some jazz flute. I'm sure they'll love it...................

Oh the good ol' childhood years! I remember quarreling with my little brother over whose turn to watch TV, and I had to patiently sit there watching that Gundam Wing crap for 30 mins. It was those 30 mins after elementary school each day where I eventually developed an unrealistic imagination for technology. And yeah, I did help my little brother paint those annoying model kits; I had to watch the paint dry..... sigh.....:yawn:
Agreed.

I guess that explains your Gundam Koala avatar. lol