bringing pets to the caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vettech327

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! I would like to start an UPDATED thread on bringing pets to the Caribbean (whether its SGU or Ross) ANY INFO helps!! What was your own experiences with bringing pets down (cats vs small dogs vs large dogs).

For Ross, how was the quarantine? How was getting the 2 rabies titers before heading to the island? how was the flight itself?

For SGU, I don't think you need anything other than vaccines, and a medical exam right?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ALSO, what was your experience with boarding pets during any of the breaks? Where were you able to board them?

ALSO, what was your experience with boarding pets during any of the breaks? Where were you able to board them?

Not a current rossie (hoping to get be accepted here or at midwestern), but I work with newly graduated Rossies who said they had other students pet sit their kiddos and they had no problems finding someone. If you wanted to bring them back to the US with you, you can do that as well. But most of the Drs said they only did that once or twice and they'd mainly have someone pet sit (for cash, or even for trade offs for pet sitting during breaks).

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! I would like to start an UPDATED thread on bringing pets to the Caribbean (whether its SGU or Ross) ANY INFO helps!! What was your own experiences with bringing pets down (cats vs small dogs vs large dogs).

For Ross, how was the quarantine? How was getting the 2 rabies titers before heading to the island? how was the flight itself?

For SGU, I don't think you need anything other than vaccines, and a medical exam right?

For Grenada you need a health certificate every time you fly back and forth and proof of vaccinations, but that's it! I always just flew my dog back and forth with me, but there were usually enough students that would stay on the island over winter break to petsit for people who went home. Not sure about summer break since that one's longer and pretty much everyone goes home for summers.

I have a 12 lb dog and a 10 lb cat and would to know if anyone has any experience bringing a cat AND a small dog down to grenada with them? Were you able to bring both of them easily back and forth or did u leave them on the island for breaks? any info helps!!!

I have a 12 lb dog and a 10 lb cat and would to know if anyone has any experience bringing a cat AND a small dog down to grenada with them? Were you able to bring both of them easily back and forth or did u leave them on the island for breaks? any info helps!!!
Ally answered your question with her experiences in her post above.....

I do believe you can only fly with one animal per passenger because they must be stowed under the seat during takeoff/landing, otherwise one will have to fly in the cargo area.

I do believe you can only fly with one animal per passenger because they must be stowed under the seat during takeoff/landing, otherwise one will have to fly in the cargo area.

If they are regular animals this is probably true. If they are emotional support animals you can have two, but each needs to be specified in the doctor's letter. Although now that rules are cracking down on ESA's, I'm not sure if this is different now or will be in the near future.

If they are regular animals this is probably true. If they are emotional support animals you can have two, but each needs to be specified in the doctor's letter. Although now that rules are cracking down on ESA's, I'm not sure if this is different now or will be in the near future.
Why does anyone need two ESAs

Reactions: 6 users
Why does anyone need two ESAs

My dog and cat are both classified as ESAs by my doctors. Can I function with only one of them? Yes, however my doctors recognized that I am able to function better and have a more successful approach to treatment with both.

However, I also recognize the circumstances in which it may be difficult for one (housing especially) to take on someone with two ESAs. For that specific reason, I do pay pet rent for my dog.

I've only traveled a short distance via car with them. Wherever I end up later this year will most likely be the first big airlines move with them.

I have 2 cats who cannot be crated together, so trying to figure that out. Contemplating getting one registered as an ESA, as he does provide quite a bit of support to me, and my medical history would make it a viable option.

The other cat is semi-feral. As in, not feral with me at all, but fearful of strangers/humans with which he has no longstanding positive interaction. So, he is not at all ESA material. I'm fine paying for one or both of them to travel with me, but I'm figuring if one is considered an ESA it'll be a lot easier/I won't have to try to get someone to fly down with me so I can have both cats as carry-on. I don't feel comfortable having either of them in cargo. Obviously, the semi-feral would do terribly because panic, and the one I'd be looking to register is my big baby and I'd be afraid of something happening to him. We'll see as we get closer to the Spring Semester.

Does anyone know the regulation of bringing reptiles to Ross or the Caribbean in general? I have a Rosy Boa and California King Snake I am thinking of bringing them with me. I don't know if I can leave them back home in Texas because my family isn't too keen on keeping them in the house if I am not there to care for them.

I have 2 cats who cannot be crated together, so trying to figure that out. Contemplating getting one registered as an ESA, as he does provide quite a bit of support to me, and my medical history would make it a viable option.

The other cat is semi-feral. As in, not feral with me at all, but fearful of strangers/humans with which he has no longstanding positive interaction. So, he is not at all ESA material. I'm fine paying for one or both of them to travel with me, but I'm figuring if one is considered an ESA it'll be a lot easier/I won't have to try to get someone to fly down with me so I can have both cats as carry-on. I don't feel comfortable having either of them in cargo. Obviously, the semi-feral would do terribly because panic, and the one I'd be looking to register is my big baby and I'd be afraid of something happening to him. We'll see as we get closer to the Spring Semester.

do you know if you’re allowed to do that? like have an ESA pet AND a carry on for just you? I didn’t call the airline yet (jetblue bc that’s the only airline i’ll fly) but their website says “only 1 pet per person” so i just wanted to see if you spoke to airline and found out that you can have an ESA pet AND. a carryon pet? I just got my dog ESA approved by my therapist and I have a cat which is why I’m asking. My mom is going to fly down with me regardless but she would rather have both carryons for herself bc she is going to be staying for a week or two to take a little vacay lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Quick question related to this! If I were to buy two seats, would I be able to bring both my 9 lb cat and 8 lb dog in the cabin with me? I am applying to schools in the UK (sorry, I know this post says Caribbean but I thought it would still be a helpful place to ask as it pertains to traveling overseas with pets!) and would not be back to visit the USA since my family is all back in the UK and I am a UK citizen. So this means that the one way flight to the UK would be a one time thing and I am willing to pay for two seats if that means that both of them will be in the cabin with me, but Im not sure if thats how it works?

Quick question related to this! If I were to buy two seats, would I be able to bring both my 9 lb cat and 8 lb dog in the cabin with me? I am applying to schools in the UK (sorry, I know this post says Caribbean but I thought it would still be a helpful place to ask as it pertains to traveling overseas with pets!) and would not be back to visit the USA since my family is all back in the UK and I am a UK citizen. So this means that the one way flight to the UK would be a one time thing and I am willing to pay for two seats if that means that both of them will be in the cabin with me, but Im not sure if thats how it works?
Preeetty sure you’d have to have a second person with you, but that question would be best for whatever airline you’d want to fly.

You can’t fly with any pets in the cabin into the UK directly. Even an ESA isn’t allowed. The only animals allowed in cabin are seeing eye dogs and such. Many people I know flew into Amsterdam or Paris to avoid them being in cargo. But that is really expensive too since the Eurostar train doesn’t allow pets either. Best to check the UK travel website they are very strict. If you have family willing to pick you up in Paris in a car that is probably your best bet as far as bringing them in cabin.

Reactions: 2 users
You can’t fly with any pets in the cabin into the UK directly. Even an ESA isn’t allowed. The only animals allowed in cabin are seeing eye dogs and such. Many people I know flew into Amsterdam or Paris to avoid them being in cargo. But that is really expensive too since the Eurostar train doesn’t allow pets either. Best to check the UK travel website they are very strict. If you have family willing to pick you up in Paris in a car that is probably your best bet as far as bringing them in cabin.

Okay thanks! Unfortunately I don't have family that can pick me up from France. It would be a 9 hour drive and you couldn't drive it anyway, as the English Channel is between it. Maybe I could fly with them in the cabin to the East coast (I'm in Washington State) and then from there I'd get on another flight and they'd have to go into cargo until England. :(

Okay thanks! Unfortunately I don't have family that can pick me up from France. It would be a 9 hour drive and you couldn't drive it anyway, as the English Channel is between it. Maybe I could fly with them in the cabin to the East coast (I'm in Washington State) and then from there I'd get on another flight and they'd have to go into cargo until England. :(
There is a way to drive onto the Eurostar and you stay in the car, it is what one of my friends did in a cab. They just don't accept animals on the train directly but in the car thing it seems to be okay. But it cost her a lot!.

I would say flying to the East cost is a good idea especially if you go through JFK since they have the ARC for animals and I've heard great things about it. I have another friend who used a pet travel agent to make sure everything went well, and it is expensive but you can be more sure to avoid issues.

My flatmate is bringing her dog through Amsterdam this summer and taking a boat cruise that accepts dogs overnight and allows you to visit them in the kennels. It was actually pretty cheap to take it even if it adds another day to your trip. Once you get them here it will all be worth it though!

Reactions: 1 users
There is a way to drive onto the Eurostar and you stay in the car, it is what one of my friends did in a cab. They just don't accept animals on the train directly but in the car thing it seems to be okay. But it cost her a lot!.

I would say flying to the East cost is a good idea especially if you go through JFK since they have the ARC for animals and I've heard great things about it. I have another friend who used a pet travel agent to make sure everything went well, and it is expensive but you can be more sure to avoid issues.

My flatmate is bringing her dog through Amsterdam this summer and taking a boat cruise that accepts dogs overnight and allows you to visit them in the kennels. It was actually pretty cheap to take it even if it adds another day to your trip. Once you get them here it will all be worth it though!

It definitely will be worth it! They are my babies and I have to take them. I did speak to a friend and she's willing to go with me. Her Dad is a pilot so she gets extremely cheap airfare. I'd bring her along because you can only have 1 pet per passenger so she would have one pet in her name for the flight and I would have one. We would fly into France and then either my cousins could try to pick me up in their car (English people don't like to and never really have to drive more than 1 hour so we will see about this haha) or I'd hire a rental car to drive back to England. So I guess I've got it all sorted out! I just don't want my pets in cargo. Now fingers crossed that I'll actually get acccepted to carry out this plan! :laugh:

It definitely will be worth it! They are my babies and I have to take them. I did speak to a friend and she's willing to go with me. Her Dad is a pilot so she gets extremely cheap airfare. I'd bring her along because you can only have 1 pet per passenger so she would have one pet in her name for the flight and I would have one. We would fly into France and then either my cousins could try to pick me up in their car (English people don't like to and never really have to drive more than 1 hour so we will see about this haha) or I'd hire a rental car to drive back to England. So I guess I've got it all sorted out! I just don't want my pets in cargo. Now fingers crossed that I'll actually get acccepted to carry out this plan! :laugh:
Can you rent a car in Europe without a European drivers license?

Hahahahaha

How did you expect people to get around in foreign countries when they visit? Actual question and not meant to sound sassy
Taxi, Uber, public transport? I dunno. But I do know that if I was used to driving on the other side of the road and different road signs and what not I’d be a little nervous.

Taxi, Uber, public transport? I dunno. But I do know that if I was used to driving on the other side of the road and different road signs and what not I’d be a little nervous.
Ahh true. Prob more expensive and a hassle (especially for out in the country places or places real far from an airport)

And yeah, it can be confusing but they def are able to rent them! And now you know for if you ever go abroad and want to rent a car instead! (Which out in the country is prob less scary than in a big city because less cars)

Does anyone know the process for taking animals to Grenada? I have 2 60 lb dogs and a bird.

Does anyone know the process for taking animals to Grenada? I have 2 60 lb dogs and a bird.
This website is the first step in finding requirements for travel. You also have to check airline policies too.

Reactions: 1 users
On top of aphis I would also double check covid travel policies for greneda as I know there was a poster earlier this year whom was having a dilemma on taking their pets back with them due to the islands strict animal covid testing and possible euthanasia policy (unsure if it was greneda or a different island)

On top of aphis I would also double check covid travel policies for greneda as I know there was a poster earlier this year whom was having a dilemma on taking their pets back with them due to the islands strict animal covid testing and possible euthanasia policy (unsure if it was greneda or a different island)
It might’ve been St. Kitts (where Ross is located). If you test positive after arrival and have pets with you they can test the pets (they don’t test pets otherwise). If the pets are positive and do not test negative after 5 months they can opt to euthanize them. No one who’s returned yet has had this happen, but it is a frustrating/scary current rule.

I’m not sure though if Grenada has implemented something similar.

But like what if you have 5 cats and 2 dogs 😅

Maybe go to the covid thread and read about the one Ross student struggling with pets amid covid too. They may help you figure stuff out
Pretty sure that was me haha :rofl:

I am happy to answer any questions with traveling with pets abroad. Traveling to St. Kitts is a bit different than Grenada (because we’re a rabies free country and Grenada is not) and have to jump through some extra hoops. Things are honestly constantly changing right now because of Covid.

More or less if it's feasible to travel with that many pets to another country for vet school especially the islands
I have a friend that brought four down, however her husband came down with her. If you’re bringing that many pets you will need someone to travel with you. I believe the amount of pets you can check is 2 (but don’t quote me on that).