Bringing Singificant Other to 2nd Look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At least one school (Pitt) allows you to bring a significant other to stay with hosts and come to 2nd look weekend.

Is it common practice for applicants to bring their SO to 2nd look? Is it only acceptable if you're married, or even a fiance or serious bf/gf?

Just curious for your thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

It's fairly common at our school for serious SOs to come to those types of events. I mean if it's some girl you've been with for 2 weeks and plan on dumping before school starts, what's the point? But if they're going to be a part of your social life at school for the next few years, it wouldn't hurt for them to meet some people and get a feel for the school. Of course they could also do that in the future...

Bottom line, it's up to you. It's not uncommon, but not every SO is always present.

It's fairly common at our school for serious SOs to come to those types of events. I mean if it's some girl you've been with for 2 weeks and plan on dumping before school starts, what's the point? But if they're going to be a part of your social life at school for the next few years, it wouldn't hurt for them to meet some people and get a feel for the school. Of course they could also do that in the future...

Bottom line, it's up to you. It's not uncommon, but not every SO is always present.

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking of bringing my gf of 4+ years. I see no problem bringing her to the events. Although I do not want her to feel out-of-place among the other pre-meds/financial aid lectures/coat and scalpel screening, etc.

But, what do you think about having students host both of us?

On one hand, I feel that's an unneessary burden on the student hosts, on the other hand, the registration explicitly asks "Will a significant other be staying with you? Yes/No"

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, she sounds like a good candidate to be there. Hopefully there will be other SOs there that are non-medical that she can get to know. Of course it's hard to know who's a med student and who's a SO at first glance.

If my wife were with me we'd probably just get a hotel. If you're lucky you might find a student who's married and has an extra bedroom and bathroom. If the student is living the lifestyle most of us are, I don't think it would be comfortable having 2 extra people crashing my place. But if they ask that question, they probably have accommodations for you.

I think that any time the school offers to put up a SO they likely mean married or equivalently serious (ie. you plan on this person being your life partner). If you want to bring your serious gf, I don't see an issue with it, but just make sure there is good reason to do so (ie. will you both be moving to this area? will you both need to look around for housing/work? etc.)

If the extent of your reason is to get that warm and fuzzy couple feeling then I think you might be wasting time and $$$, but if you have legit reasons (and I am by no means trying to judge what you deem to be legitimate) for bringing her, then by all means. Call them and ask them if you want to make sure they have no issues with it, as this can vary depending on the culture of the school.

:luck:

I think that any time the school offers to put up a SO they likely mean married or equivalently serious (ie. you plan on this person being your life partner). If you want to bring your serious gf, I don't see an issue with it, but just make sure there is good reason to do so (ie. will you both be moving to this area? will you both need to look around for housing/work? etc.)

If the extent of your reason is to get that warm and fuzzy couple feeling then I think you might be wasting time and $$$, but if you have legit reasons (and I am by no means trying to judge what you deem to be legitimate) for bringing her, then by all means. Call them and ask them if you want to make sure they have no issues with it, as this can vary depending on the culture of the school.

:luck:

Yea, she's going to enroll in a grad program at the public health school. And I do plan to ask her to marry me soon! shh!

And thanks for the "school culture" issue heads-up...I hadn't thought of that, but I hear that's more of a problem for some residency interviews in certain specialties.