How long to withdraw other As

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got into school B off the waitlist, but I submitted plan to enroll to school A.

if I click “accept” on the offer for school B, do I need to immediately withdraw from school A or do I have some time?

I assume there is some allowed time gap where I can hold 2 acceptances because say I accept school B, and don’t want to go to school A. Then I would have to email school A withdrawing my acceptance, and there would be some gap between when I email school A and my acceptance actually being withdrawn.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At this point in the cycle I believe that you only get a certain number of days when you get a new offer to update your PTE/CTE to reflect the new school you have accepted. So you have time but its limited to how long the school allows you to wait to select PTE once receiving an offer. Even if you "accept" the offer, if you don't PTE within the time frame they give you then you risk having your acceptance withdrawn.

Reactions: 1 user
Following on this, if I have been accepted from a waitlist at a school with a CTE date sometime during the summer, do I only need to PTE at this point and therefore be able to stay on other waitlists and see what happens up until the CTE date? Or, having come from the waitlist, do I only have the allotted time that they specified to accept the acceptance and that day is essentially my CTE date or is that my PTE date?

Following on this, if I have been accepted from a waitlist at a school with a CTE date sometime during the summer, do I only need to PTE at this point and therefore be able to stay on other waitlists and see what happens up until the CTE date? Or, having come from the waitlist, do I only have the allotted time that they specified to accept the acceptance and that day is essentially my CTE date or is that my PTE date?
Yes, the allotted time is only for PTE. Schools have a CTE in the summer because its binding so once you are CTE to a school you are basically telling other schools this is where I'm going. If you are PTE at a school then you can remain on other waitlists until the CTE date, at which point you must withdraw from all other waitlists and schools. It is important to at least select PTE to a school you are admitted to even if you are hoping to get off another waitlist because in the event you do not get off the waitlist you want to let that school know to hold your spot.

Reactions: 1 user