British Columbia revises registration process

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sceye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
BC College Revises Registration Process

The College of Optometrists of British Columbia held its latest board meeting on December 12, 2010. The issue of accepting NBEO (National Board Exam in Optometry, the US exam) vs. CSAO (Canadian Standard Assessment in Optometry/l’Évaluation canadienne standardisée en optométrie) came up under unfinished business. There was a long discussion during which several viewpoints and rationales were voiced. The final result of the vote of the College was that the College reversed its previous position of accepting the CSAO and NBEO interchangeably. It was felt that a strong national examination was essential for a number of reasons and that BC was in no position to independently examine applicants, or wishing to cede this responsibility to a foreign jurisdiction. The BC College understands that some applicants have already undertaken the NBEO route, so the change will take place effective Jan. 1, 2013. Applicants will however be encouraged to take the CSAO as their registration could experience problems with respect to portability and the College cannot guarantee acceptance in other provinces for registrants with an NBEO only. The NBEO will be accepted in BC only for applicants who have been registered and have practiced in the US and can produce a certificate of good standing from a State Board. The College of Optometrists of BC believes that cooperation between various Canadian Optometric Colleges and homogeneity of legislation of the various optometric regulatory bodies is essential considering mobility of registrants in Canada. CAO believes this difficult decision is in the best interest of Canadian optometric patients nationwide.

This is a little bit confusing to me. Can someone please decode? I wanted to move to BC to work with my NBEO certification. Does this mean I can't now unless I am registered to work in the US? Or does this all not come into effect until 2013?

Members don't see this ad.

BC College Revises Registration Process

The College of Optometrists of British Columbia held its latest board meeting on December 12, 2010. The issue of accepting NBEO (National Board Exam in Optometry, the US exam) vs. CSAO (Canadian Standard Assessment in Optometry/l’Évaluation canadienne standardisée en optométrie) came up under unfinished business. There was a long discussion during which several viewpoints and rationales were voiced. The final result of the vote of the College was that the College reversed its previous position of accepting the CSAO and NBEO interchangeably. It was felt that a strong national examination was essential for a number of reasons and that BC was in no position to independently examine applicants, or wishing to cede this responsibility to a foreign jurisdiction. The BC College understands that some applicants have already undertaken the NBEO route, so the change will take place effective Jan. 1, 2013. Applicants will however be encouraged to take the CSAO as their registration could experience problems with respect to portability and the College cannot guarantee acceptance in other provinces for registrants with an NBEO only. The NBEO will be accepted in BC only for applicants who have been registered and have practiced in the US and can produce a certificate of good standing from a State Board. The College of Optometrists of BC believes that cooperation between various Canadian Optometric Colleges and homogeneity of legislation of the various optometric regulatory bodies is essential considering mobility of registrants in Canada. CAO believes this difficult decision is in the best interest of Canadian optometric patients nationwide.

This is a little bit confusing to me. Can someone please decode? I wanted to move to BC to work with my NBEO certification. Does this mean I can't now unless I am registered to work in the US? Or does this all not come into effect until 2013?

The change in regulations will take place in 2013. At present BC will accept new grads who have passed the NBEO. However, those who have worked for one year in the US and have passed the NBEO will still be able to practice in BC without taking the CSAO beyond 2013.

But there's this line: "The NBEO will be accepted in BC only for applicants who have been registered and have practiced in the US and can produce a certificate of good standing from a State Board."

That's correct. After 2013, BC will only accept registrants who have passed the NBEO AND worked a minimum of 12 months in the US. Currently there is no work requirment.

IMO this makes the CSAO seem like an useless exam....will any US state accept the CSAO over the NBEO?....probably never.

why are they flooding BC with optoms?