British medical student chances of matching into a surgical residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

British_IMG

Reaction score
I am a medical student at a world renowned medical school in the UK. Looking at previous residency match data it is clear that matching into any surgical specialty is of great difficulty for any IMG applicant. However, much of the data is from IMG applicants from medical schools unknown by many US institutions. I was wondering whether being from a well known medical school would give advantage and if so to what extent?

If there is any UK graduates or anyone who knows an individual who has been through the match process I would love to hear your opinion.

Many Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a medical student at a world renowned medical school in the UK. Looking at previous residency match data it is clear that matching into any surgical specialty is of great difficulty for any IMG applicant. However, much of the data is from IMG applicants from medical schools unknown by many US institutions. I was wondering whether being from a well known medical school would give advantage and if so to what extent?

If there is any UK graduates or anyone who knows an individual who has been through the match process I would love to hear your opinion.

Many Thanks.

Someone from a prestigious UK med school is likely to be in a better position to match than many other FMG candidates. You need to do well on your Step scores and be open to a wide number of programs across the US to have the best chance at matching. It would help if you were able to get US clinical experience while you are still a student.

Reactions: 1 user
What you have going for you is that no one in the US will know if your accent is West End or Scouse, so use that to your advantage. They all sound intellectual over here....for the most part....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you have going for you is that no one in the US will know if your accent is West End or Scouse, so use that to your advantage. They all sound intellectual over here....for the most part....
Someone from a prestigious UK med school is likely to be in a better position to match than many other FMG candidates. You need to do well on your Step scores and be open to a wide number of programs across the US to have the best chance at matching. It would help if you were able to get US clinical experience while you are still a student.

I am aiming to complete a US summer research internship next summer. I have already been accepted to UCSF for that. Although I have contacts at UCSF unfortunately they do not accept IMG for clinical experience so I can only complete observeships there, which I have completed four weeks already. Any recommendations for institutions to complete clinical electives?

In terms of high step scores what considered high for an IMG in comparison to the match data? NRMP states that the mean Step scores for general surgery are 242 and 249 for step 1 and 2 respectively for those that match. Even the most competitive specialities such as plastic surgery possess a mean score of only 228 and 242 for step 1 and step 2 respectively. Does this indicate that it is likely those who wish to match into the more competitive integrated residency programs do so through letters of recommendations and building a rapport with the surgical department itself during electives rather than step scores alone?

I am aiming to complete a US summer research internship next summer. I have already been accepted to UCSF for that. Although I have contacts at UCSF unfortunately they do not accept IMG for clinical experience so I can only complete observeships there, which I have completed four weeks already. Any recommendations for institutions to complete clinical electives?

In terms of high step scores what considered high for an IMG in comparison to the match data? NRMP states that the mean Step scores for general surgery are 242 and 249 for step 1 and 2 respectively for those that match. Even the most competitive specialities such as plastic surgery possess a mean score of only 228 and 242 for step 1 and step 2 respectively. Does this indicate that it is likely those who wish to match into the more competitive integrated residency programs do so through letters of recommendations and building a rapport with the surgical department itself during electives rather than step scores alone?

The data for Plastics shows that 3 of 16 FMG candidates matched where for General surgery it was 66 of 258. So it's hard to base your numbers for plastics on just a few people. Also, I suspect there is relatively few applying from the UK and more probably applying from India/Pakistan/Far East. Canadian applicants are not included in this group.

You really should find some University setting that allows for US based clinical experience. I take it you are not graduated yet, so you'll still be able to do so. Once you graduate, you wouldn't really be able to do much more than observe. As for places to do it, do you know if there are any students above you that went somewhere for US based clinical experience? If so, I would definitely look at those places if they have a surgical residency program. If they don't have a training program in surgery, it's probably not as useful.

I think that's a hard call, and it may have to do with how they're collecting the data (over what time). The gen surg numbers look good, but that seems low to IP. I can’t be sure, however.

I think there's a lot of under-the-table dealing for competitive integrated programs (even if there isn't supposed to be). Research definitely helps.

As mentioned above, very helpful to get some clinical experience. I would do whatever you can to make that happen.

And concentrate on the accent thing. I mean, for $&@‘s sake, a lot of people think Michael Caine sounds eloquent.

@Winged Scapula may have a bit of specific knowledge about this, though if I recall it wasn't from the UK...Australia?

While coming from a "known quantity" may be part of it for IMGs, the other issue is visas. Regardless of how well known your school is, some places just don't want to deal with the hassle of having people on visas. Further, it's not just name recognition for.your school. It's having letters or recommendation from people the programs recognize/trust. That's why getting experience in the US that generate letters of recommendation are going to be important.

Many Thanks.
I would disagree with the bolded above. Programs that have a history of accepting IMGs are familiar with foreign programs; they may not have had a matriculant from "program x" but it would be most unusual to find faculty, especially PDs who have never heard of "program x". It may not have the name cachet that Oxford has (the program I assume you're affiliated with), but that's about it.

There is likely some benefit to attending a "name brand" program (like Oxford or Harvard), but that only gets you in the door. For IMGs, the benefit is a little more hazy given the factors influencing matching are more difficult to ascertain.

If you are a British national attending school in GB, you will have the advantage over the US citizen studying abroad, as the assumption in the latter is that they were not able to obtain a US education (whether true or not). However, this presumably means you need a visa and as noted above, some programs don't want to deal with it. Those that do often tend to be FMG populated, which may not may not fit your needs. There is a reason why US citizens may be more successful in the match: visa is one of them and familiarity with the US system and US rotations/connections may be another.

US clinical experience *USCE) is key. Observerships are essentially worthless so please do not use valuable clinical time and/or spend money as these do not provide the experience you need. UCSF no longer takes IMGs (although they did back in my day, but then again, I had previously worked for them so they may have a bent the rules for me). However, there are likely many more places that do, or places that will bend the rules for someone who is English speaking, from an English country and has good Step 1 scores. Check here to see if your school has an affiliation with AAMC and what programs you might be eligible for: visiting-student-learning-opportunities For example, I know Baylor still takes International students for clinical electives.

In regards to what is considered "high" for Step scores, obviously anything above the mean (which as noted is 241 and 249 for non-US IMGs for 2018 General Surgery matched applicants). Means being what they are, the most non-US IMGs who matched into GS had scores between 251 and 260. The data for Integrated Plastics is so sparse as to be unhelpful. Only 1 non-US IMG matched and that individual had a Step 1 score of 228. This would mean to me that this person clearly had other attributes (ie, perhaps working/toiling as a research associate for years?) which made the Step 1 score somewhat irrelevant. This is the answer to your last question: yes, Step 1 will get you in the door (if you weren't already in such as by doing research with the Plastics department for years) but its often the "other stuff" that makes the difference.

Reactions: 1 users
You should try to get observerships and even research fellowships at programs that do accept IMGs. There cannot be a more hostile system than the UCs for any foreign national. You may benefit from networking at UCSF, but the IMGs I know who got into categorical general surgery programs all spent at least a year or two at the institution that ultimately matched them. Duke, Hopkins, MGH are amongst the institutions that have accepted IMGs recently, I believe.

The visa situation is dire and worsens with every year. You will only be sponsored for a J1 visa due to technicalities associated with the H1, and this will require that you return to your home country upon completion of training for at least two years. There are precious few ways to bypass this requirement, so I want you to be aware of it at the outset if you aren't already. It will affect your first attending posting and make it more difficult to return to the States. The ECFMG mediates the J1 visa, and it is an administrative hassle for programs, so few will look at IMGs.

General surgery programs often do not have any trouble filling their spots with perfectly competent American graduates. So you need to be extraordinary in every sense: clinically adept, a team player, and well published. And even then it may not be enough.

It's a tough world out there for us aliens. Best wishes and send me an email if you want to discuss further.