Brown, Dartmouth & Penn MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grabes1980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on the three unranked (US News) Ivies that have public health programs. I have a feeling that these are all outstanding programs, but because they are not offered through separate schools of public health, they did not meet ranking criteria. Also, the three schools do not offer the DPH, which might also knock them out of ranking consideration. Dartmouth offers a single PhD and Brown offers two PhD tracks, while Penn only offers the MPH. However, one can earn PhDs in Biostatistics or Epidemiology through Penn's Center for Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics.

-Brown's MPH is offered through its Alpert Medical School.

-Dartmouth's MPH is offered through Dartmouth Medical School and housed at The Dartmouth Instititute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice

-Penn's MPH is offered through its Perelman school of medicine and housed at the Center for Public Health Initiatives.

I'd love to hear from alumni, current applicants or anyone else who has an opinion on these schools/programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think any school is good as long it fits your career goals and personal preferences.

If you really want a detailed opinion of these schools, you should probably tell us your career interests, allowing us to get a better sense what to talk about that's pertinent to you.

My primary career interest is to someday be at the forefront of reducing the epidemiology of assumptions made on online forums. J/K buddy, I'm not really looking for responses that are framed in relation to my career goals/interests; I'm just looking for responses.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anything about Brown or Dartmouth, but I have heard a few things out of UPenn.

UPenn has a solid reputation in pharma-based work. They also have a lot of good work in treatment and survivorship, as well.

Has anyone heard from Brown yet? I have been checking my online application status. A few weeks ago the "Decision" label popped up but it just said " A decision has not yet been reached".

Now I can't log into my application at all and it keeps saying "log in failed". I tried to reset my password but this still failed, so I emailed tech help about this.

Just wondering if anyone has heard any Brown related news... an admissions rep said the first wave of decisions should come out in early February.

Just wanted to let you know that I called Brown's MPH office and they told me my decision (a yes!) over the phone. So I suggest calling them if you still haven't heard