Brown medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stwei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone planning to apply to Brown med school? I read they are opening up to students from all colleges and universities to create greater diversity. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

that program gives me the willies.

Members don't see this ad :)
brown has a med school?

I posted this question a while back and these are basically the same responses I got. It will be interesting to see how their reputation fares now that they accept all applications.

Wow, this is awesome. If I drive fast from my house I can be to Brown in like 25 minutes. I will defenitely apply there when the time comes around. How is the school ranked? Does anyone know if the competition level is going to be around the same as their undergrad?

Does this mean they will drop the Dartmouth/Brown program?

Does anyone know how many spots they are going to offer?

I know a few Brown undergrads who were not overly impressed with their med school, for what that's worth.

They're not dropping the Dartmouth/Brown program, I don't think.

I'm applying... maybe we'll sneak in the back door since so many people don't know it's available this year. Then again, I know nothing about the medical school, so who knows if that's a good thing? I'm mainly applying bc it's close to where I live now and hey, why not?

stinkycheese said:
... maybe we'll sneak in the back door since so many people don't know it's available this year...

sssssshhhh! Stop talking about it! You're ruining my evil evil plan to get in by being the only one who knows it is now open to all applicants!

Darn! I thought about applying there, but didn't know that it is open to all applicants now, so I figured I'd save my $30. Oh well.

elephunt, why can't you apply now? are you in the '04 app season? if so, then why not add them to your list! :thumbup: :idea:

are they really opening up to all applicants, for M.D. program, this year? From what I understand in the past, they only accept md/phd students.

Here's the top secret information. I just graduated from Brown undergrad and here's what the premed advisor told me. They did indeed "open up" to the outside world (rather than just accepting their own as freshman UNDERGRADS, which is a weird weird program, don't even get me started), BUT it is ONLY TO RAISE THEIR RANKINGS...they want more applicants so they can raise their stats in US NEWS....they suck right now compared to other ivys. so they'll probably accept a few people, but only to make them look really competitive...its sleazy and sick and very un-Brown in my opinion...the undergrad school rules, but the med school creeps me out...don't apply! don't give in to their evil scheme!

Haha, i was waiting for the day Brown would open up to everyone else instead of just their kids. Well I guess we'll have to see what this does for Brown.

neuropower said:
Here's the top secret information. I just graduated from Brown undergrad and here's what the premed advisor told me. They did indeed "open up" to the outside world (rather than just accepting their own as freshman UNDERGRADS, which is a weird weird program, don't even get me started), BUT it is ONLY TO RAISE THEIR RANKINGS...they want more applicants so they can raise their stats in US NEWS....they suck right now compared to other ivys. so they'll probably accept a few people, but only to make them look really competitive...its sleazy and sick and very un-Brown in my opinion...the undergrad school rules, but the med school creeps me out...don't apply! don't give in to their evil scheme!

good thing i decided not to go to brown lololol

interesting thing, this "open-brown-up-to-all-comers" deal.

went there as an undergrad and enjoyed it very much, (took some time off, and happily in my 3rd year at cornell med) but looking at the brown program nowadays... i'd hafta say for those folks applying to brown; forget bogus "rankings" CHECK OUT the accomplishments of the brown class of 2004 class. you can find THEIR RESIDENCIES MATCHES at:

http://bms.brown.edu/students/match/match2004list.html

they kicked butt! congrats to them!
i count like 7-8 to Harvard hospitals, an orthopod to the Hospital for Special Surgery, then all sorts of folks to UPenn, Baylor, Wash U, Cornell, Columbia, U-Dub, Hopkins, Emory, Standford, Tufts, etc, etc. they are all really really solid/great!

med school is one thing. but remember, residency is REALLY where so much heavy responsibility is placed on you and your actions.
looking at my admired role models in school, in so many respects residency is CRITICAL to where you really come into your own as a doctor.

apply to brown among your choices. your career will not suffer one bit.
:)

i went to brown undergrad, and even being there on campus, i never really heard much about the med school. the school itself is relatively new (about 25 years old, i think), and they haven't really had the time to develop a reputation around the country yet. combine that with the fact that for years they only accepted students from brown undergrad and the brown/dartmouth program, they didn't get much attention on the national radar. that said, i think it is a pretty good medicial school. the students tend to match very well, and a lot of the faculty is excellent. plus, providence was a fun place to live as a student. anyhow, i wouldn't take them off your list just because you haven't heard much about them. and i also doubt that they would open the school up to "outsiders" but then not take any. so apply away!

hi,

i'm a brown undergrad about to be a senior and applying for 2005. i'm not impressed with the medical school. the classes take place on campus during the first two years, but after that, clinical rotations do not take place on campus. granted providence is not a large city, but there is no hospital on campus. there's a med shuttle, but it takes a half an hour to get 5 minutes from the brown campus to the hospital. you really need a car. all in all, i would not say that the medical school appears to be a cohesive unit, because they send you all over providence to different teaching institutions. it's just my impression. also, there is no "med school campus." the classrooms are in the main undergrad/grad biology building...nothing special.

e.