Brown Radiology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entrepreneurMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed here and really thinking of ranking it #1 over Duke.
Thoughts on the program and and training and doing so?

Members don't see this ad.

As someone that's rotated through Brown, I agree that it's a strong program. I'm not sure I would rank it over Duke (which I won't claim to know anything about), but the clinical training is excellent. Only a few fellows, independent call, and tons of volumes in procedures there - it all means that you'll learn to do everything well before you graduate. Also their moonlighting is excellent + cost of living is low. If you're thinking of IR, their program is one of the strongest in the Northeast.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone that's rotated through Brown, I agree that it's a strong program. I'm not sure I would rank it over Duke (which I won't claim to know anything about), but the clinical training is excellent. Only a few fellows, independent call, and tons of volumes in procedures there - it all means that you'll learn to do everything well before you graduate. Also their moonlighting is excellent + cost of living is low. If you're thinking of IR, their program is one of the strongest in the Northeast.

Thank you so much for the response! How is their DR? & what are your opinions of their chair?

Last edited:
In terms of reputation, Duke is definitely > Brown.

I didn't rotate at Brown, but like throwaway mentioned, it is a strong training program with a reputable IR training program. Their moonlighting is some of the strongest out there with several residents making it into 6 figures from what I remember during interviews.

I didn't attend Brown but I did interview there for residency and IR and ranked them pretty high both times. Staff seemed nice and hard-working. The moonlighting is probably the best in the country. I don't know how it's organized now but when I visited it was a private group on contract to the hospital, so you get a lot of the advantages of private and academics. IR there is excellent, tons of neuro IR exposure since they cover stroke call, perhaps a little too much IMO, and slightly inbred in that most (all?) of their IR staff trained at Brown. You will definitely work hard there on DR, but it's much easier to train at a private practice pace and go into academics than the other way around. If you're dead set on academics you may want to look elsewhere, if you want broad competency and speed it's a great program.