BRS Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paisley1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've started reading through BRS Path and am having a really difficult time remembering (for more than a day or two) what I've read. I have a fairly decent memory--it's just that the information in this book is SO condensed, I don't know how to process it all. Does anyone have any useful study tips on how to make studying this book more high yield in terms of remembering stuff? I would really appreciate any advice you have to offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by paisley1
I've started reading through BRS Path and am having a really difficult time remembering (for more than a day or two) what I've read. I have a fairly decent memory--it's just that the information in this book is SO condensed, I don't know how to process it all. Does anyone have any useful study tips on how to make studying this book more high yield in terms of remembering stuff? I would really appreciate any advice you have to offer!

Everyone and their grandma sings the praises of the book (which is good for review but not that great for initial comprehension) but anyways . . .

One possibiliy is to combine your review of BRS Path with active recall books which are in question and answer format. Two that come to mind are Pathology Recall and Pathology Secrets. The first is from Lippincott and the second from Belfus. These books are nice because they help to drill information into your head, if that's your primary problem. If your problem stems more from lack of understanding of major concepts, it might help out to periodically fill in gaps with larger texts (yes, I know, not a popular strategy).

Skim over a chapter in BRS, then read through the entire related chapter in Robbin's Basic Pathology, and then read through the BRS chapter again. Seems like a lot, but it's really not, and it'll help fill in some of the holes.

You know, I did almost exactely what you described in terms of alternating between BRS and Robbins, Stinger, except I didn't go back to skim BRS and take note of the main points. I'll give it a try (your right, it doesn't take that long).

The major concepts are not as big a problem for me, I just really need a clinical picture in my mind to help me remember. The two books you mentioned, jed2023, sound excellent for doing just that. I'll drop by our bookstore tomorrow and check them out.

Thanks for the advice--I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Stinger86
Skim over a chapter in BRS, then read through the entire related chapter in Robbin's Basic Pathology, and then read through the BRS chapter again. Seems like a lot, but it's really not, and it'll help fill in some of the holes.

I did that too, with the notable addition of writing plenty of notes in the margins of BRS as I went through Robbins. It really helped to fill in the big holes in BRS. It also helps to go through the question sets after reviewing each chapter, or better yet, getting on the computer and doing a QBank set.

Originally posted by Fermi
I did that too, with the notable addition of writing plenty of notes in the margins of BRS as I went through Robbins. It really helped to fill in the big holes in BRS. It also helps to go through the question sets after reviewing each chapter, or better yet, getting on the computer and doing a QBank set.

I forgot to include that after looking at BRS, then the textbook, then BRS again, I usually switch over to Robbin's Review of Pathology, which is an outstanding question book for highlighting the important concepts and teaching the kind of thinking needed to work through some difficult problems.

Another suggestion...the BRS company also has flashcards that go along with the path book. I find its a good way to help me cement some of the huge amount of material, and to find out exactly what I didn't remember!

Wow, I admire those of you that supplement BRS with big boy Robbins'. I get a headache every time I look at that fine print, so I read baby Robbins (the pocket handbook). It seems to work for me. Oh, and then Kumar has this Q&A review book...I find it helpful (on a good day).

I really dig both the Robbins Review book and WebPath. Both pose some pretty tough questions at times that help to integrate the info. I tend to remember stuff alot better once a question about it has been posed. Like a previous poster said, really helps to bring out the most important points.

Could someone post the link for Webpath? I'm going to try what you guys are doing to study for Step 1. Lots of fun!

Also check out
http://www.pathguy.com

The notes are broken down into systems, like Stars or Robbins and are very easy to read. Plus you have the advantage of scrolling past any info you don't need to review.
The page itself might look kind of strange, but click on to the path sections and scroll down past all the introductory stuff.
Just another resource.